Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I'll see what I can do
cool I have a copy of the "World Record Paper Airplane Game" http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/9056 that I would be willing to 'donate' and maybe YOU should post a 'mailing address' here so that myself and OTHERS could 'send' these to you folks! I'll check out some others that I might be able to pass along to you and make it worth the while for this. Best wishes on this for you guys then.
goldencamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I admire your plans. I wish you the best of luck with them.

I was wondering if there isn't a way you can get around the whole "dues" thing since that seems to be a major obsticle.

After think for a while, I started wondering how big is your base group? The people you know will come and are willing to pay the dues regardless?

Also, how much will the dues be? I know the income levels are different in Lithuania so an exact amount won't be helpful but maybe a comparison like, how will the fee compair: a fast food dinner for 2, or is it more like a fancy dinner for 2 - or some other analogy?

I was thinking you might want to try some sort of fundraising, but you would need a reasonable size group to make most fundrazing ideas work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
A Capital idea!
I'd say that ONE means of conducting THIS 'fundraiser', is to create some paper FLIERS to distribute or place upon 'bulletin boards', 'community notices placards', or anything ELSE along those lines! I'd even include little 'tabs' pre-cut and including a 'phone number', along the bottom of THOSE, so that someone could detach 'one' and use it to call YOU about this with! You would also want to include the 'Phone Number' on the main flier in case those 'tabs' are ALL taken up by people interested in this.

Now, on the 'flier' itself, you should detail as MUCH as you can about just WHAT you plan on doing, but you need NOT go into 'extreme minutiae' with this. If you can somehow obtain a means of allowing YOUR 'Game CLUB Members' a decent DISCOUNT at a participating 'Game Store' for them when presenting their "Membership Card", then by all means do this! I'd FIRST approach the 'Shopkeepers'(where applicable) about this while DISCUSSING the 'benefits' for co-operation, and point out that YOU 'directing' these "Members" into THEIR 'Shops' ought to be worth something for this? I mean, otherwise, YOU could make 'arrangements' with the Games Companies yourself on THIS("shades of 'collusion', 'GamesMAN'!)", and it would be in the GAME Stores' BEST interests to NOT have yet someone ELSE 'competing' with them? I'd prefer to SUPPORT the local establishments myself, and I have done so on many occasions, but I wouldn't LIMIT myself or RELY upon them exclusively. I can obtain 'bargains' from where I FIND them, no matter where in the World those may be located. In the meantime, I am collecting yet MORE games for this 'endeavor' on your Groups' behalf and I hope to get these MAILED off to you folks here soon. Best wishes and Good Luck on your efforts for this then.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
just giving THIS a well deserved BUMP !

meeple c'mon meeples "throw ME a 'frickin' BONE, why doncha!?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
show the LUV
kiss...to any others that are able to assist here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
"...and I helped!"
"How 'bout YOU!" robot
http://enigma-net.tripod.com/cgi-bin/go.pl?mashed_taters.htm...
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My story
It appears I was in a similar situation but not exactly the same. I wanted to start a gaming group in Israel.
Some background about the games in Israel: Games are known here, but not like the in states or in Europe. There is a company that gives classes at schools (not all schools) and teaches some abstract games (other then chess). Games like Blokus, set, Octi and more. When I started the group there was one store that imported several games (mostly settlers of Catan and a few other) and they were pretty expensive (about 50% higher the retail price in the states, and compared to the average salary here it is expensive).
The way I decide to go about it is, starting a forum. There is one portal here that is dedicated for forums. It currently have ~1200 forums in it. I called them and convinced them that a board games forum might interest many people and the forum dedicate for that object can justify itself. They agreed to open the forum as long as it keep a minimum flow of messages. With help of my wife and two friends we started filling the forum with message about different topics in boardgames: description of games, why they are good, where to get them and so on. I also advertised the forum in related forums like roleplay, chess, and science fiction knowing that many of those people might find the object interesting. After a while people started to visit the forum and adding their own messages which increased the interest in the subject. One of the topics reached the main page of the portal, they thought it was interesting enough for all people and we got additional exposure.
Once we reached the ~15 people entering the forum on a weekly basis, I arranged a forum meeting and one of the forum members volunteered her house. Every player who came was supposed to bring some refreshments so there were no expenses. 13 people showed to the first meeting. Since then we have a meeting every 3-4 weeks. Sometimes we are 4 people and sometimes 15 but usually around 8-9. Most of the time it is in my place which is a relative big house but far away and hard for the people to come .
More people got interested but did not want to come to the forum meeting (distance issues and other issues). They either prefer playing with friends or doing a special gaming session. So the next step is opening a club, which will happen next month. There will be a small fee but will include tournaments, special game teaching sessions. But the cost will be relative low (less then a movie ticket for about twice the time). I’m opening the club in a bridge club so I don’t have to worry about tables. The club is positioned in a very central position so it will be easy for the people to arrive.
I also started a web site with the help of a very nice group of people who looked for a place to play and wish that the club would succeed.
You can say that I had luck in some issues, other are hard work and running around trying to find the people to support and help.
During this time another company started importing games so the selection in Israel grew and things are looking brighter. But the whole process took more then a year and a half!
If you have any question feel free to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games
We try and play every time different games. most of them are mine but people do try and bring their own games, buying games I don't have to increase our collection. But there are several games that almost every one love and will join a game:
Citadels
Perudo
Bohnanza
Samurai
Taj mahal
On the other hand almost every game we ever played most people enjoyed. the real one exception is Puerto Rico that some people really didn't like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games
Actuaaly Carcassonne does appear on the table from time to timw with all the expensions.
Since Settlers in probably the most known Eurogame here people prefer other things.
Ticket to ride was played for the first time by me in the last meeting (a week ago). It was a nice game but people didn't jump with joy saying they have seen the light. nice game nothing more.
The gamse I mentioned, 3 of them can be played with 6 people which turns them into social games. thats one reason why people love them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.