Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Chicago Express» Forums » General

Subject: Why trains instead of track? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Brian
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While it obviously has no effect on game play, it annoys me that the track in CE is shaped like locomotives. You're not running a train from the east coast to Chicago, you're laying track. So why the liitle wooden locos? Track shaped pieces would also solve the problem of the players who insist that all the track pieces (the locos) be set on the wheels and facing the same way.

OK, rant over for the moment.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them. I think they look nicer than if you had 3 track on one hex. Also if you had 3 on one hex then they all spit in different directions it would get pretty messy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Magrot wrote:
I like them. I think they look nicer than if you had 3 track on one hex. Also if you had 3 on one hex then they all spit in different directions it would get pretty messy.


I'm thinking of replacing my trains with wooden discs, the facing annoys me since it's irrelevant to the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a reason that some of us prefer Winsome's winsomeness.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Uncle Pennybags wrote:
While it obviously has no effect on game play, it annoys me that the track in CE is shaped like locomotives. You're not running a train from the east coast to Chicago, you're laying track. So why the liitle wooden locos? Track shaped pieces would also solve the problem of the players who insist that all the track pieces (the locos) be set on the wheels and facing the same way.

OK, rant over for the moment.


Because its fun to deliberately place trains on their sides, upside down and facing the wrong way when it really upsets someones OCD.

Because its even more fun to let Mr OCD straighten up the trains after you have laid them skewed and then say, 'Actually you have less shares than me in red so I actually want the trains to be upside down', and mess them all up again.

Sometimes its not about winning in the literal sense.
29 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:

Because its fun to deliberately place trains on their sides, upside down and facing the wrong way when it really upsets someones OCD.

Because its even more fun to let Mr OCD straighten up the trains after you have laid them skewed and then say, 'Actually you have less shares than me in red so I actually want the trains to be upside down', and mess them all up again.

Sometimes its not about winning in the literal sense.


+1

B>
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

Also you can place multiple trains in a single hex (in various positions if that is your want) without having to search through the tile set for the precise tile that matches the track layout.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For particularly OCD people you can try convincing them that their cubes are now upside-down while playing an original copy

B>
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the wood grain does have to point in the direction of travel surely?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
Uncle Pennybags wrote:
So why the liitle wooden locos?


Because a significant fraction of the buying audience thinks they're cute, and the production die can be re-used for wood trains for other games (with similar audiences).

jdludlow wrote:
There's a reason that some of us prefer Winsome's winsomeness.


Precisely.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a little irony in this situation: the publisher most given to under-packaged, under-produced games has a licensing arrangement with the publisher most prone to over-packaged, over-produced games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
photocurio wrote:
There is a little irony in this situation: the publisher most given to under-packaged, under-produced games has a licensing arrangement with the publisher most prone to over-packaged, over-produced games.


I think you're confusing Queen with Fantasy Flight there.

B>
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
+1

Also you can place multiple trains in a single hex (in various positions if that is your want) without having to search through the tile set for the precise tile that matches the track layout.

Of course, they could have gone the Santa Fe Rails route:

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trygve E. Rosenvinge
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The locomotives themselves are attractive and easy to comprehend.

By "tracks" I assume you're suggesting long rectangular wooden pieces similar to the roads in Settlers, rectangular cardboard pieces with print similar to those of Brass or hexagonal cardboard tiles with tracks printed on them that would fill the entire hexagon.

In my opinion (which I suppose isn't interesting to anyone apart from myself but this is after all the Internet), any such attempt at introducing "tracks" to Chicago Express would turn out unattractive and awkward, chiefly because multiple companies are allowed to build track in the same hexes and the network of a company is allowed to branch. It isn't infeasible to introduce components to the game which would allow multiple tracks to run through and branch away from the same hexagon, but it would be messy and I cannot see why anyone would want that. To properly use "tracks" in Chicago Express, the game would need an entirely different board design, more alike to Transamerica:



Uncle Pennybags wrote:
You're not running a train from the east coast to Chicago, you're laying track.

Chicago Express isn't really about building track, unlike most train games which tend to put an emphasis on building routes, building track in Chicago Express has been abstracted for a reason. The wooden locomotive is only supposed to represent that the company has track, equipment and rolling stock in the area. Which is why I find I'm in disagreement with you, to me the wooden locomotive could easily represent the rolling stock the company needs to service the area represented by hexagon.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brian
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
By "tracks" I assume you're suggesting long rectangular wooden pieces similar to the roads in Settlers, rectangular cardboard pieces with print similar to those of Brass or hexagonal cardboard tiles with tracks printed on them that would fill the entire hexagon.

In my opinion (which I suppose isn't interesting to anyone apart from myself but this is after all the Internet), any such attempt at introducing "tracks" to Chicago Express would turn out unattractive and awkward, chiefly because multiple companies are allowed to build track in the same hexes and the network of a company is allowed to branch. It isn't infeasible to introduce components to the game which would allow multiple tracks to run through and branch away from the same hexagon, but it would be messy and I cannot see why anyone would want that.


Long rectangular pieces is closest to what I had in mind. They would be no more awkward than the locomotive pieces, and would take up less space in the hex. I don't see how rectangular pieces in 5 different colors would be any messier than the locomotives now in use.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brian
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Uncle Pennybags wrote:
While it obviously has no effect on game play, it annoys me that the track in CE is shaped like locomotives. You're not running a train from the east coast to Chicago, you're laying track. So why the liitle wooden locos? Track shaped pieces would also solve the problem of the players who insist that all the track pieces (the locos) be set on the wheels and facing the same way.

OK, rant over for the moment.


Because its fun to deliberately place trains on their sides, upside down and facing the wrong way when it really upsets someones OCD.

Because its even more fun to let Mr OCD straighten up the trains after you have laid them skewed and then say, 'Actually you have less shares than me in red so I actually want the trains to be upside down', and mess them all up again.

Sometimes its not about winning in the literal sense.


OK, I was wrong; it does affect game play. greentrain
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.


B>
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trygve E. Rosenvinge
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Uncle Pennybags wrote:
Long rectangular pieces is closest to what I had in mind. They would be no more awkward than the locomotive pieces, and would take up less space in the hex. I don't see how rectangular pieces in 5 different colors would be any messier than the locomotives now in use.


A wooden stick has a direction, the locomotive tokens do not really. Placing a rectangular piece on a board like that used in Chicago Express would make the piece seem as if it was reaching across the hex, spanning from one side to the other. This in itself is visually unproblematic, however as soon as you introduce the track of other companies, perhaps company A has track passing through the hex from the south-east going north-west while B pass through the same hex from north to south, then the track would have to cross somehow, wouldn't it? And how would a junction turn out visually?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.