Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: My new purcase and the first game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this is my first purchase of a game since joining the BGG. I bought a copy of Lord of the Rings. I thought the cooperative play sounded really neat. And we have been having problems lately in our gameing group with people getting upset over other people gangin up on eachother.

So my husband and I tried out the game to get the rules straight before we try to teach it to anybody.

Since it was our first game we started sauron a 15 and went from there. Well our little hobbits did pretty good. At the end of the game I (frodo) was at 2 and my husband (sam) was at 3, unfortunatly sauron made it all the way to 2 himself, and we wern't even out of Shelob's Lair.

Of course probably most of the trouble came in that I didn't explain the rules to my husband quite fully at the begining. I just wanted to start playing and explain things as we went on, which probably hurt us a whole lot.

Well at least now we understand the concept better and hopefully next time we will do a little better.

Thanks BGG for a helping me find such an interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real and Only
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I have been watching this one
I have been keeping my eye on this one. I think I am going to focus on collecting Knizia's titles for a while.

After I get Twilight Imperium 3rd and Blood Feud New York that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this a few years ago with my brother and his wife, and the four of us (my wife too) liked it a lot. Recently purchased a copy from Windopaene through this site, looking forward to it again!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
taking it to the streets
I saw this at Borders (Waldenbooks) the other day. A Knizia game at a big chain bookstore... what will they think of next?

-goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun game!
Played it once with 4 players. We won by the skin of our teeth. With Sauron right behind her, my wife (as Frodo) barely made it to Mt. Doom and cast in the ring, but we had to sacrifice the rest of us hobbits to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChToHe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
question is when will they go on sale!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
mbmbmbmbmb
First time I played, we had a major blackout (in Cleveland -- not THE major blackout, but a big one nonetheless), and finished our game by candlelight. I loved it.

I know some people don't love the cooperation, but I think it's such a nice change to be rooting FOR each other rather than against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't just a cooperative game, but one in which you definitely will be called on to sacrifice for the greater good of the team - which, not surprisingly, many players don't like to do. And as a result, there is the possibility of some players making choices that benefit their own hobbit at the expense of winning for everyone.

Makes this a bit different cooperative experience I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True enough though
depends on the group. Hard-core gamers seem much more likely NOT to want to take on for the team than when I play with family.

Also, Friends & Foes is a neccessary expansion to pick up. Sauron, far less so.

And LOTR is ALWAYS on sale when you buy from me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brad -

After we've gotten through LOTR a few times I may be coming back to see if you have FAF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well once I have tested it out on a few other people I will post how it went over in our group. I hope it goes well, or I will have to learn the solitare rules posted on the geek and play it all alone.

I too will have to play this a few more times, and at least beat sauron once, and see if my friends like the game, before I look into buying F&F, but it is good to know that is best to get that one rather than Sauron expansion first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Tish, one suggestion:

When introducing LotR to other players, let them fully control their Hobbits, even if you can see that they are making mistakes.

Nothing ruins the first impression of this game more than an overbearing player who is controlling all the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That shouldn't be too much of a problem. Especiall since we did so bad the first time.. we will need some help. Can't yet give the advice. But I will keep that in mind as we get better at the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to actually win a game of this! Maybe I should have held off on using the expansion.

sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
One really neat thing about the Sauron expansion is that one player gets to play Sauron. That usually cuts down on the kibitzing as once Sauron finds out your specific weaknesses, he has ways of dealing with it. The Sauron expansion also supports up to 6 players. There are also more ways to die with the introduction of the Black Rider, but this expansion tends to be on the longer side, typically taking 2 hrs.

With regards to the sacrificing of hobbits against the evil ruler of Middle Earth, I must be lucky in that people I play with are quite selfless in that regards. There have been numerous instances where I had to run my hobbit against his own sword, and it usually happens near the end, either in Shelob's Lair or the beginning of the Mordor track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Dane said:
Quote:
When introducing LotR to other players, let them fully control their Hobbits, even if you can see that they are making mistakes.

I totally agree. Let the game come to them. Contribute your thought of course, but let them decide the course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
Quote:
Hard-core gamers seem much more likely NOT to want to take on for the team than when I play with family.

Hm. Strange. My experience has been that gamers are more willing to take one for the team, probably because they understand the winning conditions - as long as the One Ring is destroyed, everyone wins. Must be an offshoot of our D&D tendencies where everyone is willing to take one for the team...

Quote:
Also, Friends & Foes is a neccessary expansion to pick up. Sauron, far less so.

Well, sauron is the ultimate objective. When you get tired of hammering the system, give the system some intelligence. We've never beaten the game with a player at the controls of sauron. Seems to be that if sauron hoards cards and waits for a bit of misfortune to befall the Fellowship (and it WILL happen), he can do grievious damage. We've only played with the sauron expansion a couple of times though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Played this a few years ago with my brother and his wife, and the four of us (my wife too) liked it a lot. Recently purchased a copy from Windopaene through this site, looking forward to it again!!!

Ah, secret dealings with an ENEMY, eh? Caught you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.