Washington's War» Forums » Rules

Subject: What year does the war end? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Crook
msg tools
mb
13.2 States: "If the game ends due to the [War Ends] Card..."

What if none of the "War Ends Cards" are drawn?
It may be printed on the board but where in the Rulebook does it declare when the War ends otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It changes every game.

"Lord North's Government Falls - War Ends" is a card that is drawn during the game (there are several, each with a different year). When it is drawn, it is placed on the board.

If another is drawn, it replaces the previous one, so it's a nebulous situation and the game ending can change literally by the turn. It adds a great element of uncertainty to the proceedings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The War ends based on which ever "Lord North's Government Falls" card is currently active. There is not a static year when the war will end. The end year can (and does) change from turn to turn.

Of course, the war can ended earlier if one of the other end conditions is met first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Crook
msg tools
mb
Correct Edward and Jeff but what happens if none of the "War Ends Cards" are ever drawn, however unlikely that might be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcrook wrote:
Correct Edward and Jeff but what happens if none of the "War Ends Cards" are ever drawn, however unlikely that might be?

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff P
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry... I need to go back to school for reading comprehension. I missed the "none" part.

That would be extremely unlikely, but possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Crook
msg tools
mb
Thanks Mark!
Superb game by the way. I played over the weekend and my friend and I found it to be very well-balanced. The components are handsome. Washington is a battlefield giant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildcatfight wrote:
Sorry... I need to go back to school for reading comprehension. I missed the "none" part.

That would be extremely unlikely, but possible.

Don't feel bad. My writing comprehension was lacking. Just never happened but possible. We will add it to the FAQ unless Joel can show me where it's located but I am fairly sure it's not there. By the way it never happened to my knowledge in We The People and that has been out for 16 years. But it is possible.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcrook wrote:
Thanks Mark!
Superb game by the way. I played over the weekend and my friend and I found it to be very well-balanced. The components are handsome. Washington is a battlefield giant!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ updated, guys.

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcrook wrote:

Just to be clear this actually happened?

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Crook
msg tools
mb
No. I was reading through an AAR:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/524675/george-washington...
Quote:
1779 -- the year the war will end UNLESS something happens to extend it.

No mention is made of drawing a "War Ends" card. The author seemed to imply that the War ends in 1779 and I thought perhaps it was a rule (i.e., by default the War ends in 1779) I overlooked somewhere yet the natural assumption is that the War ends in 1783 as that is the last space in the year track on the board.
Of course my next thought is: what exactly are the odds of never drawing a War card?
There are the number of cards, the number of 'War Ends' cards, the number of cards drawn, the number of hands, the number of discards, etc.
It seems unlikely lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcrook wrote:
No. I was reading through an AAR:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/524675/george-washington...
Quote:
1779 -- the year the war will end UNLESS something happens to extend it.

No mention is made of drawing a "War Ends" card. The author seemed to imply that the War ends in 1779 and I thought perhaps it was a rule (i.e., by default the War ends in 1779) I overlooked somewhere yet the natural assumption is that the War ends in 1783 as that is the last space in the year track on the board.
Of course my next thought is: what exactly are the odds of never drawing a War card?
There are the number of cards, the number of 'War Ends' cards, the number of cards drawn, the number of hands, the number of discards, etc.
It seems unlikely lol!

This was a hypothetical question although it is possible. Just never heard of it ever happening.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.