Hide
8 Posts

Afrika Korps» Forums » Variants

Subject: counters and some variant rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jersey man
msg tools
I am looking to buy a full set of game counters for Afrika Korps but the only ones I can find on-line are from camelotgamestore.com for $16 (unless I want pay $40 to buy a full game box that has all its parts on ebay) In the explanation of the counters on camelotgamestore.com they says that with their counters you get the original Afrika Korps game counters along "with reduced values on the reverse side." Can anyone tell me what these "reduced values" counters are for?
Why are there reduced value counters?
As an aside, I already have a single complete set of the original red and blue Afrika Korps counters. I want to get this second set in order to try to play some variant rules that were mentioned in an article by Robert Olson in vol 5, number 5 of the General. In those rules Olson mentions that, "Units of both sides are doubled in number by adding a second set of counters to the game." This is my goal with getting an additional set of counters, but as an aside, does anyone have any experience with playing with Olson's variant rules? Are these rules worth adding to my game play?
Thanks for any help you can provide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen this?

http://www.ahgeneral.org/gameparts/afrika_korps.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jersey man
msg tools
Thanks Bill! I have seen that Afrika Korps CD, and that same URL is also where I found the camelotgamestore.com link, but the CD is not really what I am looking for. I really want a set of counters already printed on cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong about this but doesn't A.K. have step-reduction losses for it's units? I think that is what is meant by 'reduced counters' on the flip side. You don't have to dive into the box to locate the reduced unit - it is on the backside of the unit being reduced.

Dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon Hill's Afrika Korps didn't have step reduction or reduced sides, so that appears to a variant. It's an interesting idea, though; it would also require a new CRT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for Paul2xs on E-bay. He makes variant counters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Beatty
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Afrika Korps did not include a 'step reduction' mechanism so this must be a variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banzai Beagle wrote:
Afrika Korps did not include a 'step reduction' mechanism so this must be a variant.

I see you're a new user, David. Welcome to BGG.

Note that this thread is in the Variants folder, so variants are what you'd expect to see here. Each game has several folders to accomodate different types of posts and (hopefully) keep it all organized so things are easier to find. You can tell you're in Variants because at the top of the page you see Afrika Korps >> Forums >> Variants, which is the folder path. Click on Forums there and you'll see the other Afrika Korps forums listed, where you'll find the corresponding types of posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.