United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering at what point should a game page be created here at BGG. I have a few games designed, prototype completed and play tested thoroughly. Time for a BGG page?

In general should pages be made if and when a designer's game is picked up for publication or when it is posted for print and play? I have seen many game pages here for unpublished games but speculated whether or not they have met some other criteria.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
There is no consensus on this really. Some people use the Open Source Software theory: Release early, release often. They tend to put their first working idea up as a game. Others wait until they've had some playtesting done locally. Others never post it until it sells to a publisher. How you do it depends on your minimum level of polish required before you make something public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I make the page when it is ready-for-box, meaning tested thoroughly and ready for a publisher to look at it, something as close to final development as you can. Sure a publisher might develop it further or in a different direction, but the current prototype is playable and I guess I would call it the near-final version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty much agree with the others. It sounds like at least some of your games are ready to be added.

Some folks deliberately put thing up before they are 'done', in part to help to get feedback. And I think that the when may depend on what you intend to do with the game - are these things done for your amusement that are not going to go much further; are they games you intend (or have) to make available for PnP; are they games you are trying to get a publisher to pick up, etc. I have a few games available as PnP, so they already have pages on here. But another game, just as complete, I do not have on here because a publisher is looking at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Some folks deliberately put thing up before they are 'done', in part to help to get feedback. And I think that the when may depend on what you intend to do with the game - are these things done for your amusement that are not going to go much further; are they games you intend (or have) to make available for PnP; are they games you are trying to get a publisher to pick up, etc. I have a few games available as PnP, so they already have pages on here. But another game, just as complete, I do not have on here because a publisher is looking at it.

I put up a couple of early designs (which were very poor, really). In hindsight it was a mistake, because they are not at all ready for play. The ideas are there, but not the gameplay.

Can I remove these early designs easily from the database?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Either:

- When it has been released to the public.

or:

- When a publication contract has been signed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:

I put up a couple of early designs (which were very poor, really). In hindsight it was a mistake, because they are not at all ready for play. The ideas are there, but not the gameplay.

Can I remove these early designs easily from the database?
Send a GM to
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't add my own games to BGG; I wait for someone else to add them. If nobody else is motivated enough to do so, the game doesn't have enough relevance. The game isn't relevant enough for BGG until someone other than me cares strongly about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate everyone's input.

Two of the games are polished, ready for publication and currently at a publisher. One they have tested and found to be fun yet not right for their product line. The other they are currently reviewing. My hunch is that neither will be picked up and will soon be on to the next publisher.

The third game sits in my closet and will do so until I can figure out how to shorten it.

Drifting away from the OP, has anyone found that putting up a game page helps to get play testers? I love love love honest feedback!

What is the method for putting up a game page?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
There's a geeklist for hooking up designers with playtester that apparently doesn't have the word playtester in the title or I'd be able to find it. I'm sure someone will come along with a link shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.