Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A work in progress. My inspiration is Sephiroth, from quite possibly the best video game ever produced, FF VII.

Not sure yet, but I may replace one of the abilities with "Fire" but not quite sure how to represent it...

Now replaced with (most recent version, updated)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, but the use of a picture of Sephiroth is -really- distracting. I keep thinking he should be an evil general, or even the one who sent the evil generals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree...I'm thinking of him BEFORE he discovered his true origin, back when he was pretty much neutral. I may create an alternate card with a less distracting pic for those who need it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternate version, also slightly different in tweaky ways.

notes:
1. The first skill is a repeating skill. Meaning, if you attack three minions, lets say two Dragonkin and and Undead, and roll 6, 2, 2. The 6 being on a blue die, you now have one kill on a Dragonkin. Now you get to roll a bonus die. You say, "target Undead" and roll another 6! Hes gone. So now, you get another bonus die! So you target the additional Dragonkin, rolling a 4. Action over, two kills. SEE HOWEVER #3 below

2. I added the 'deathblow' on the Vengeance. Won't help you, but if you died from wounds due to a General, you get one more dying bonus die, which maybe, just maybe, could kill him, winning the game for the team... Note, I'm thinking that skills 1 & 2 do stack, so '6' rolled on Vengeance, may be applicable...not sure yet though. Try it either way you want.

3. If you feel the first skill is too strong...you can limit it such that you can't 'chain 6's' and that only the first 6 on a particular die will get the bonus, not subsequent 6's. Note however, the odds of rolling two 6's back to back on one die rolled twice is 1/36. The chance of doing it on three rolls in a row is 1/216. I do think this limit is reasonable however, to differentiate from the Assassin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One person has suggested they felt Merc might be overpowered. If you have this feeling, try this one with altered mechanics.

I think I actually like this one the best.

Note: I got rid of the 'repeating' sixes, so as to differentiate him from the Assassin. The Assassin gets 'repeating' sixes against Generals, meaning that he keeps on rolling til he doesn't get a 6. Makes the Assassin more deadly (though improbable to string many 6's probably) against Generals. The Merc however, extends his skill to Minions, with limitation.

NOTE: You replace one of the two DRAWN hero cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. I'm just working on a role now that uses "mercenaries", and I'm glad this doesn't conflict with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtest game today at lunch with this fella and three base heroes. Only had time to get through the first General kill, but I felt he was very nicely balanced, though leaning towards weaker than expected. Don't think I would change him now though. I hope someone will have a chance to try him out. He has a different sort of feel, and you'll find yourself tempted to keep him in the thick of battle even with minions at the end of the turn, just so you can enjoy the taste of a vengeance roll. Very thematic.

The "6" thing only came up, amazingly one time! Talk about crappy rolling. It was great though, he was engaged with a dragonkin and an orc. Figuring to take out the orc easily, he managed a terrible shot with his bow, missing the orc, spun and drew his sword. Sliced right through the Dragonkin (a 6!) and then with DEADLY FORCE, his momentum took him through the Dragonkin into the way of the charging Orc, who took it across the face (a 4). A nice moment to savor.

(in other words, made an attack and rolled a 1 on the orc, a 6 on the Dragonkin. Used the bonus die on the Orc and rolled a 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, clarification to Vengeance Strike:

The wording is misleading. If a General wounds you, you do get one die roll against him for vengeance, even though its not always 'end of the turn'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed the wording...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
tarheel wrote:
Fixed the wording...

I'm not surprised he was a little weaker than you thought. Many of his powers are conditional and most people don't hit '6' on a 6 sided die that often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.