United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
So I went to my 20 year reunion this past weekend and I had a decent enough time I suppose. Turns out I was the only real counter culture guy left from my class though. No (visible) tattoos, no long hair, maybe 2 other guys had facial hair. I met up with some old friends from the strange little groups I ran with, and for the most part everyone was incredibly cool.

I ran into my old friend Justin who works for a senator in the capitol. We had a few spirited political discussion and somehow out conversation turned to wargames. We began discussing the state of board gaming in the world today and I mentioned my fascination with the hobby. He mentioned that he still had a house in the area (well technically, an old friend of his allowed him to use some of their house to store his old things) and he mentioned that I should come over and check it out, as he had done quite a bit of thrifting and garage sales in the last three or four years he had lived in my area before he moved out east.

Highly intrigued, I met him for dinner last night and then went to check out his collection.

In the basement of this small 3 bedroom house, he had box after box of pretty much anything you can think of stacked along the walls. We began opening them up and this is a rough listing of what I found:

Breakout: Normandy
Gunslinger
Raid on St. Nazaire
Starship Troopers
Stellar Conquest
Tobruk: Tank Battles in North Africa 1942
Ambush!
Panzer Command
Russian Front
Dark World

And that's just a stab at the stuff that I know other people would get excited over but I was just merely "meh" over.

Now here is the stuff that I drooled over...

Dark Tower - complete and in working order
The Omega Virus - 2 complete working copies!
Magic Realm - mostly unpunched and looked complete
Dune - A well played copy, but everything was bagged up and looked complete. There was a sticker on it that said $2.00. I wanted to cry.

He asked me what the stuff was worth, and I told him honestly. Then he boxed it all back up and I went home. I mentioned to him that if he ever wanted to ditch some of his stuff, he should let me know, but he is a bit of a hoarder, and I doubt he will let the stuff go, even if he isn't going to be playing it anytime in the next 5 years.

So close, and yet so far...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Front is supposed to be excellent. I still kick myself for passing up a $10 copy, in my ignorance.

Maybe your friend will sell/give you a copy of Omega Virus. It's not particularly valuable on feeBay, but shipping one to you would be a killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heavily hinted at that, but he is/was always an odd one. He muttered something non-comittal and that was that.

Shipping would be nothing, since the house in question is in the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Justin even play these games? Or is he just hoarding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He lives out east in D.C.

Works for a U.S. Senator. Has not touched or played the games in years. Hence my feeling of ridiculous envy.

Undoubtedly, he will play them at some point, but probably not for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Berglowe
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish my 20 Year Reuinon was half that fun.lol. Glad you had some good meet ups and a great run down memory lane with games and others./DOC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.