Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I made another step towards becoming a US Citizen by sending off a lot of information to my immigration lawyer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sell out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
A scottish friend of mine became a US citizen several years ago. He had lived in the US for 20+ years but kept his British citizenship because there is a certain panache in having a British passport.

Then he discovered that when he renewed next time he would need to get an EU passport instead. Since there's nothing special about that, he opted to switch to US citizenship. He even went so far as to join the US Naval Reserve (in Oklahoma, of all places).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
A scottish friend of mine became a US citizen several years ago. He had lived in the US for 20+ years but kept his British citizenship because there is a certain panache in having a British passport.

Then he discovered that when he renewed next time he would need to get an EU passport instead. Since there's nothing special about that, he opted to switch to US citizenship. He even went so far as to join the US Naval Reserve (in Oklahoma, of all places).

Can I have your old British passport?

I am hopeful about becoming a citizen of another country, for reasons which would get this thread moved to RSP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Callen
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:

Um, what? What's an EU passport when it's at home? Each of the EU states has its own passport, and while they do mention the EU in them, it's mostly just to say that if you need ambassadorial/consular support in a place where your country doesn't have representation, you can go to the representatives of one of the other EU states and expect assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:

There was an old style blue British passport that was in use from the 1920s through to 1988, when a new red passport that was machine readable (optically) came into effect and was the same style as all the other passports in the European Community (and now EU). There is no such thing as an "EU passport". British passports are valid for 10 years, so it's possible he had an old style British passport issued in early 1988, expiring in 1998, but 12 years exceeds what I would consider "several years ago".

Furthermore, when a British Citizen naturalizes as a US Citizen, they do not lose their British Citizenship. While in the Naturalization ceremony they revoke other citizenships, the British Government does not recognise this as a valid way to lose your British Citizenship, so as far as they are concerned you are still a British Citizen.

Last but not least, one can enter the US military without being a US Citizen, one only need be a Permanent Resident.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.