Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: New Game Development rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Cox
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like many on the 'Geek, I enjoy the development of new, usually original, games. The game group I belong to are quite tolerant of being subjected to "alpha" or "beta" testing, eventhough the mechanics may be wonky, the rules incoherent, and the gameplay boring.

However, I would like to be able to discuss the development ideas to make the rejects less common. What holds me back, is that although I have no intention of attempting to earn money from these games (I would probably post the entire game, along with suggestions to make the board and bits, for free, if anyone were interested) I would still like to keep the concepts my own.

What I intend to do, starting today, is to ask for help with very specific issues I have with a current project.

Here goes:

1) I need a monster/guard movement mechanic (i.e. when its their turn to move) that is primarily focussed on a patrol route, but is altered any players that come into its view. It may chase for a limited time, but then return to its route. Also, the type of guard will have an effect on how it reacts (and how well)

2) I need a method by which variable lighting can be shown on a board. i.e. location of the beam of a searchlight, or the effects of an overhead light (light needs to be "real" i.e. the movement of lit areas is critical for moving lights) not just a probability of being seen

Well, that's the start of it.

Cheers, Punko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Swart
United States
Moscow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head the light thing could be handed with clear thin plastic the slightly grays out till as the beem reaches is peak. Round for overhead, cone shaped for flashlights.

The guard thing could be handled by a solo mechanic. Think computers: If this than this type thinking and I'm sure you will find your sweet spot for the guards. I think it could be handled with as little as 3 to 5 programed responses, that can loop. Simple really.

Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on over to the Boardgame Designers Forum (www.bgdf.com) where you'll find lots of folks who will talk about this sort of thing endlessly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey McBeth
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The greyed plastic is probably one of the better ideas for lights. As far as monster rules go, I'd probably start with the rules for Finstere Flure, and go from there. To add patrolling, all you would have to do is change his "default/confused" move from straight ahead, to go to nearest patrol route space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.