Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Help a PBEM newbie!! Looking to give it a shot! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played Scrabble and one horribly disappointing game of Diplomacy via PBEM before, but I'm on the computer so gosh darn much, I'm interested in trying out something else.

Problem is, a lot of PBEM games are fairly intimidating, with all their jargon, acronyms and hard core players who've been playing by mail back when it was still snail mail! And there are soooo many to choose from. Trying to find a suitable PBEM via Google is like trying to find a suitable pair of slacks at the pet store -- it ain't easy.

So, I'm looking for a PBEM that's easy to get into, or with people who don't mind someone learning as they go. I've got interest in a whole mess of different game styles, types and genres, as evidenced by my game collection, but I'm probably not suited for a traditional hex-and-counter style historical wargame.

Can you help? Any suggestions on good entry level PBEMs? Do you moderate your own PBEM and on the lookout for a new recruit?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
For your consideration
Hello Jason and I'd be willing to consider doing THIS with YOU if you'd like to partake of a game of "Fortress America", since we BOTH have it and I also have a website set up for THIS! I'd prefer just a '2'-player Game in order to get it going and completed as quickly as possible. We would USE the existing SITE for displaying OUR 'game' and we could even SET UP the 'Boardgame'(or at least I would) in order to 'follow' this at HOME as well. We would even RESOLVE the 'dice rolls' using the CHAT at the site, as I have done this before and it goes along very well as long as WE can 'trust' one another for this. Just indicate HERE if you'd be interested in this and if so, then just WHICH 'side' in the GAME that you'd prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What games do you play
PBEM sucess depends on the type of game you play and how well you know your opponent(s). I have not tried to play a multi-player PBEM but I have played other games where it depended on multiple people to do their part of the game. I have always found that this has caused problems. It can be done and sucessfully, but only if everybody is committed to the game.

I have played traditional two player wargames by mail and now by email for coming up on 25 years. Believe it or not, all the games have been with one opponent (my brother). I would recommend to start with a simple two player game with limited amount of player interaction within the turn.

Another thing is to play a game that you agree on the rules on. It is hard enough face to face when there are rules questions. It is a killer long distance. Another thing, expect delays in getting the turns.

Finally, check out a SW assistance tool, like Cyberboard (I don't have the link handy). I use it and it is great, since it handles the die rolls and you don't have to type in your moves, just move them on the computer and then export your turn. It is also great if you don't have room to put your game on a table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Stangl
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly a pbem, but I recently came across www.spielbyweb.com , where you can play Wallenstein and get email note when it's your turn. Good graphical interface, I absolutely enjoy the game I'm currently in.
I'd be more than willing to create/join a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wha? huh?
Hi,

If you were saying you want to learn to play Diplomacy, then please add me as someone who is willing to learn that. If you want other novice players, I'd be happy to join the learning curve (i.e. play against other people who also don't know what's going on)

I think there is a lot at diplomacy.org, but I haven't jumped in yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:
Hi,

If you were saying you want to learn to play Diplomacy, then please add me as someone who is willing to learn that. If you want other novice players, I'd be happy to join the learning curve (i.e. play against other people who also don't know what's going on)

I think there is a lot at diplomacy.org, but I haven't jumped in yet.

I think he's talking about playing the game over e-mail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adolfo perez
Spain
cornella de llobregat
barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look on my collection games and mail me if you're interested in play PBEM for any of them.
I'm not very experienced in PBEM as well, but I think that the use of cyberboard could do it very easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.