Subject: My agricola frustration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casper Pepermans
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok,

It's really simple...
My girlfriend and I had bought Agricola a long time a go.
Since we have started to play we never had a high score! It's more about 20/30 and its rare we score 30.

Today I started a solo game, i've read the rules again etc.
And yet again my score is just 32! And it's just stupid! because in the rules they say "You have to get 50 in the solo game".

Does anyone have any ideas to get a better score because i'm getting crazy about it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure your playing it right? Sounds oddly low?
What do you usually end up with in terms of animals, vegetables, housesize & type etc?

Or do you end up with lots of negative points from things?

Getting to 50 in singleplay should be doable if not on your first try then atleast after a coupple of tries.

Could you post what that 32 pts score consisted of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
The trick with the solo game is to leave resources pile up as long as you can to maximize each move. Getting into that mind set will help and it will screw up your multiplayer game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
After playing many games of Agricola (no solo games), my highest score was around 42. The highest for my set was around 52. Its all about diversification, few or no unused spaces, and card and bonus points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest going to the Agricola game page, scrolling down, and browsing through the strategy section of the forums.

Or just go here - http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/941/agricola/strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Yes, a break down of the scoring you use would be helpful.

I think you might be scoring incorrectly.

Make sure you score 2 points for each family member. That should give you 8-10 points!

Also, upgrading you house to clay or stone will score you plenty of points: a 5 room stone house is worth 15 points!

Lastly, don't forget that many of the cards include VP as well -- denoted by the numbered coin to the lower left of the picture.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Yes, a break down of the scoring you use would be helpful.

I think you might be scoring incorrectly.

Make sure you score 2 points for each family member. That should give you 8-10 points!

Also, upgrading you house to clay or stone will score you plenty of points: a 5 room stone house is worth 15 points!

Good luck!

You have those mixed up. I think you meant to say family member scores 3 points each and a 5 room stone house is worth 10 points (2 pts per room).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris doonan
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would have to say you are forgetting something. Like someone else said let some of the supplies build up. Also are you taking advantage of the cards correctly? things like the baker and butcher. I have also seen and forgot myself about animals making babies.

Also on the last round it helps if you already have what you need, such as food to feed the family(i know easier said then done sometimes), so that all you are doing is filling in any empty spaces. Like just putting one animal in a open area, sowing a field, or putting one of the little house thing.(cant remember name)

just a few thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Be sure you are taking as many family growth actions as you can. Worker tokens are worth points in the end, but they also perform more actions, getting more done in a shorter time frame. It may seem like it is hard to feed all your workers, but if you work on that aspect of the game, I think you'll find there are ways to do it.

I've seen many scores in the ranges you mention when people don't bother getting to the full size family as soon as they possibly can. That might be something you need to work on.

Also, it's important to build a farm that covers the whole board. Big pastures are handy for this, but don't neglect building a bigger house, too. It's often better to build a very large fenced in area and subdivide it later if you can that to build little areas and hope you still have enough time and tokens to build it bigger later. You can lose a lot of points with big empty areas.

Lastly, try to get at least 1 of everything on the score card by the end of the game. One vegetable, which you can get with a single action, even if you do nothing with it, can be a 2 point swing. Try not to get skunked on any aspect of the farm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds to me that you are playing something wrong. Also, are you playing the simple game or the proper game? There is a huge difference in score when you add the occupations and minor improvements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
35 sounds like an average score for our 2 & 3 player games. Guess we just arent very good at it from the sounds of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
the1jugg wrote:
35 sounds like an average score for our 2 & 3 player games. Guess we just arent very good at it from the sounds of it.

I wouldn't say that. 35 is a very normal score for basic play or a very competitive environment. Higher scores will range into the 40s for good play, but remember that Agricola is a very competitive game and if people are doing the right thing, using the best actions, it's going to interfere with a player's ability to score high.

One shouldn't confuse the solo game scores with multiplayer scores. Solo play lets you do funny things that result in much higher scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Agricola->General
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Rarely getting to 30 sounds like you're messing some rule up, or REALLY neglecting family growth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sounds like a rule could be played wrong. Are you letting resources (if they have a red arrow) accumulate each turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Germany
Pforzheim
Baden- Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My maximum of Points was 61 with the family version in solo play. Didn't try the game with all the cards yet.

Will do next time. In Games of 2 players it's normal to get more than 30 Points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.