Ziggi W
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CAN BE PLAYED SOLO is the operative word here.
It can be a multi-player game that doesn't have an official solo mode but allows you to easily simulate optimal choices for all other players, either via a random element or by actually playing out those choices for each player.

I've looked at games like Container and Genoa, but the bidding element kinda makes the solo aspect collapse.

I've heard decent things about Struggle for the Galactic Empire though.

Any suggestions?

I'm not averse to pick up and deliver/resouce conversion games, such as Le Havre or Agricola, although I'd prefer games that require you to create/run/simulate a functioning economy, such as Container.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silverton, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Gates of Loyang has an official solo variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
At the Gates of Loyang has an official solo variant.

I would also say that Loyang has much more of a functioning economy than Agricola or Le Havre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zigfromsa wrote:
I'm not averse to pick up and deliver/resouce conversion games, such as Le Havre or Agricola, although I'd prefer games that require you to create/run/simulate a functioning economy, such as Container.

Roads and Boats does the former, but obviously not the latter...so it would probably not be your preference either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McGregor
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Agricola, Le Havre and At the Gates of Loyang solo and At the Gates of Loyang seems to be the best solo experience of the bunch...but the worst multiplayer experience. That being said I recommend all three of these games for both a multi, and single player experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed James
United Kingdom
Huntingdon
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam or Age of Steam are both superb multi-player economic games that have challenging single player expansions:

-Age of Steam Expansion: Barbados / St. Lucia

-Age of Steam Expansion: Jamaica / Puerto Rico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziggi W
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone. I checked out all your suggestions as well as Hamburgum, Brass and a few others.
Age of Steam was on sale at my FLGS but I really don't like train games too much, I also disregarded Silverton for the same reason.
Gates of Loyang and Hamburgum were vying for second place, until I realised that I really don't need another fruit and veggie game from Uwe. Hamburgum seemed interesting (mostly b/c of the components, you can't go wrong with clay bricks and real bells), but it's economic engine just didn't seem developed enough. I also realised that Merkator is coming out soon and I WANT IT, negating the need for Loyang (how many Uwe games do I really need) and Hamburgum (Merkator is based in Hamburg and North Germany in general)
Brass seemed to have top spot locked up even though it seemed to TRAINY for me, the economy model seemed to be really well made and from what I heard Martin Wallace makes a mean economic game. I was just about to order Brass when I decided to give Silverton another look-see, and I'm glad I did.
I'd initially lumped Silverton in with Age of Steam in the train game department, but upon further reflection it seemed like it was more about creating a prospering business within an excellent economic model based on supply, demand and various intangibles that the player needs to plan for. This made me think of how a real business needs to behave within a constantly changing environment, and to me that is exactly what I wanted.
When one review informed me that I need to do some calculations in order to determine price changes, I was in finance geek heaven .
The cheap price tag and 4 hour playing time plus the level of detail sealed the deal.

Brass is still on my list, even though it seems like Silverton-lite, I hear Age of Industry is coming out, but Brass seems more complex.

Now if anyone can recommend a game similar to Silverton,or more complex than Silverton, I would be a very happy camper indeed.

On a side note, I also picked up Zombie State, I'm a sucker for the zombie theme and civ-like games. Plus I hear the solo variant is very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.