Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A while ago, I ran around trying to get copies of a lot of the old Überplay titles which were becoming rarer after they went out of business. Aquadukt was a title that I never did find, but I later picked up a Schmidt Spiele version which has been sitting around waiting to be played since.

Tonight I was casting about for a fairly light game that played in about 30 minutes, and decided to finally give this a shot. After a quick rules explanation and a pause to dig out a dice tower, we set off.

At first, a few scatterings of buildings sprung up around the board, then C started a spring near her largest cluster in 4/5, and started building canals out. A few other clusters sprung up around the board. C ended up placing all but one of the springs on the board, usually in places that forced B to build canals the watered C's houses to get through to his own.

As the board filled up, quite a few more 1-value houses were placed into already watered spaces, while a few regions filled up completely, triggering rerolls. B mostly tried to get as many high-value houses as possible down into regions with a spring nearby to connect them up with double canals, but this ended up costing a whole bunch of build actions.

The game was brought to a fairly quick ending when B realised he was about to run out of canal pieces to join to his last few buildings. Final scores were C(red):43 and B(blue):40 on this board. In the end, every single placed building was watered. Clearly we weren't nearly aggressive enough.

Notes

Weight? This actually felt somewhat similar in weight to The Gardens of the Alhambra, with dice rather than tile draws providing randomness. Perhaps it's a trick of the colour schemes and watching tiles slowly spread out.

One rule we missed was emptying of unwatered houses immediately when a region is filled. It turns out that this wouldn't actually have hit anything during the game, but I think it removed an element of necessary tension, and an opportunity to cause great havoc by placing of houses (and a reason to irrigate early)

There's still a balance to be had between trying to get all the high value houses out and getting irrigating to them. By controlling the springs, C forced me to waste a lot more turns building canals, when I could have been more effectively trying to place more houses, even if I did end up getting all my 4-value houses down.

Even with 2 players, there's a certain amount of tension, trying to ensure that springs get canals going in the right directions. With more players, that would be a desperate struggle, often forcing you to rely on other people's motivations. There's also the possibility of interesting blocking moves using the fact that two canal systems can't touch, but again this would be more common with more players.

The end of the game did sort of sneak up on it. When there's only 18 aquadukt builds in the whole game, it can move along quite quickly. We'll have to play again with the full rule set, and also try the game with 3 or 4 players and see how the game fares. 30 minute light games are certainly east to fit into an evening, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
By controlling the springs, C forced me to waste a lot more turns building canals, when I could have been more effectively trying to place more houses ...
I don't necessarily subscribe to that strategy evaluation.

Philosophical Confrontation: "Hey, he makes everyone else do all the work."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I'm trying to pick this one up in an auction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.