Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day!

For some reason - a very wacky one, obviously, because Australia has been lagging a month behind the US on 4E D&D releases - my FLGS has copies of Castle Ravenloft. We can't sell them yet, but we've received permission from Wizards Australia to demo them on the Game Day tomorrow.

So, I've unboxed the copy that will be mine once the 31st comes, and punched out all the bits.

The box is *big*. You know how big the Arkham Horror box is? Well, it's like that, except deeper. More like BattleLore deep. Except I think it's even bigger than that. Exactly how big I don't know. When I get to the store this afternoon I'll try a comparison.

There are a lot of cardboard bits. Yes, there are the miniatures - which are very nice - but the main weight of the box is in the cardboard. Apart from the tiles, there are hit point tokens, monster tokens, item tokens, encounter tokens and - my favourite bit of the game - coffin tokens. Flip them over to find treasure, traps or monsters!

The scenario book has - if I remember correctly - 13 scenarios. Two of them are for solo play only, the other eleven are for 2-5 players.

All in all, the contents of the box look well worth the price tag.

The insert in the box for storing the bits has a couple of issues. The two trays that hold the dungeon tiles just slightly taper inwards, so that the dungeon tiles don't fit in the bottom. This is solved by placing the character and "hero" monster sheets at the bottom, then putting the dungeon tiles above them.

The other trouble with the insert is that it doesn't really have a good place to put all the "other" bits I talked about above. There's a deep tray that all the minis and those bits can be thrown into, but it will be a pain to take them out of again. I've got a couple of shallow tackle/storage boxes which I'll put those bits into, and because there's enough space above the insert, they should fit in there nicely.

The dungeon tiles are very nice. They're not quite as thick as the tiles in the new Space Hulk, but they look nice and - more importantly - they fit together well. With Descent, you often have to struggle to put the tiles together. The Dungeon Tile jigsaw interlocks are loose enough to pose no problems with putting them together, which is excellent for the quick play of the game. Assembling and disassembling them will work very well.

I'll be back later with photos and reports of game play.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, look forward to reading your report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Engard
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Are there rules in the scenario book that aren't in the manual? For example, does the scenario book tell you how to use coffin tokens? Are they always used, or just in specific scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelgadas wrote:
Hmm. Are there rules in the scenario book that aren't in the manual? For example, does the scenario book tell you how to use coffin tokens? Are they always used, or just in specific scenarios?

They're just in specific scenarios, I would assume. Yes, the scenario book does give additional scenario specific rules. I haven't dived into it in detail yet; just a quick skim through.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I really can't wait to get my hands on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Engard
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if Australia's got it, I wonder if other places will, too. Of course, now that the official release date is pushed back, it might not even matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great to know that I should have it this time in two weeks.

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info, Merric, it's nice to know the first available copies are only 17,000km away!

MerricB wrote:
I'll be back later with photos and reports of game play.

Play faster!

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shilling
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merric - luck you!!!

I'm looking forward to the game. Thanks for the info. You wrote...

"The scenario book has - if I remember correctly - 13 scenarios. Two of them are for solo play only, the other eleven are for 2-5 players."

Does this really mean that you cannot solo play 11 of the 13 scenarios?

Looking forward to hearing your gameplay thoughts...

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tsekos

Kalamata and/or Athens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo them by playing 2 or more Characters. Problem solved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelgadas wrote:

Have a look at the two bonus adventures that WotC released for free download earlier this week. There you can see the kind of Special Adventure Rules that apply to scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Saurio
Spain
Valencia
Valencia
flag msg tools
Logitech G25 + rFactor + XtremeRacers = pure sim racing!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Have a look at the two bonus adventures that WotC released for free download earlier this week. There you can see the kind of Special Adventure Rules that apply to scenarios.

Thank you, man. I had no idea!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 11 of the adventures you can only solo play if you control 2 characters or more. Or you could try them anyway... but I think the monsters might wear you down.

Alas, gameplay notes will have to wait for tomorrow. I'm ill and tremendously tired, alas!

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Inks
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, thanks for the info.

Does it all fit back in the box?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you read the post? More than enough room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you let us know/take pictures of the tackle box you are using?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Engard
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who are worried about storage: I employ bead boxes, purchased from a craft store such as JoAnn or AC Moore, to store a lot of the fiddly bits for many of my games. BattleLore, for example, has a ton of figs, and keeping them separate speeds up gameplay and setup time somewhat, so I have a bead box that separates them all out into their constituent groups. Arkham Horror is another one that I use a bead box for. I've already got a bead box all picked out for this game; I made some guesses on what I'd need based on the contents list in the manual, and arranged one of my boxes accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Saurio
Spain
Valencia
Valencia
flag msg tools
Logitech G25 + rFactor + XtremeRacers = pure sim racing!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelgadas wrote:
For those who are worried about storage: I employ bead boxes, purchased from a craft store such as JoAnn or AC Moore, to store a lot of the fiddly bits for many of my games. BattleLore, for example, has a ton of figs, and keeping them separate speeds up gameplay and setup time somewhat, so I have a bead box that separates them all out into their constituent groups. Arkham Horror is another one that I use a bead box for. I've already got a bead box all picked out for this game; I made some guesses on what I'd need based on the contents list in the manual, and arranged one of my boxes accordingly.

Pics?
Links?

THANK YOU!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Merric,

CC:E quality level AARs please. Gives me something to look forward to!

Regards,

fentum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, how big is the box really?

Note that my box is slightly higher than normal, due to the fact that the counter boxes *just* don't fit neatly.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Engard
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marasaurio wrote:
Zelgadas wrote:

Pics?
Links?

THANK YOU!!

Here's a pic of the box I use to store my Arkham Horror bits; note that I have a file box that I use for the monster cup.

Here's the box that I plan on using for Castle Ravenloft, with the internal compartments arranged in a way that I think will work. The big compartments on the top are for different kinds of figs, as well as for trap markers. The others are all for various kinds of tokens.

Finally, here's a comparison shot of my Arkham Horror storage box, my Castle Ravenloft storage box, and the Arkham Horror game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Engard
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, so any info you can give us on the Adventure Book? Maybe names of adventures and brief descriptions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelgadas wrote:
Hey, so any info you can give us on the Adventure Book? Maybe names of adventures and brief descriptions?

Is there a more envied man on BGG than Merric Blackman right now??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i can't believe its in AUS and they are making us wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
i can't believe its in AUS and they are making us wait.

What I can't believe is that it's Dark Sun Game Day today... and we have Castle Ravenloft but no Dark Sun Campaign Settings.

Urgh.

They *should* have the Red Box for the next game day, though.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.