Hide
5 Posts

Hive» Forums » Variants

Subject: Honeycomb rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xeno Xeno
msg tools
Saw a post about a Flea / Tick piece which I really liked the idea of - you could teleport swap it with any of your other pieces except your Queen!

So going with that idea, how about a Honeycomb piece? Place it like you do another piece, it never moves. On your turn you can warp your Queen to the Honeycomb piece -- removing the Honeycomb piece from the board (and it cannot be replayed!). Of course you must not break the One Hive Rule for pieces surrounding your Queen.

You could also use the Honeycomb piece as a stationary part of the Hive, just to facilitate (or hinder) movement.

If the Queen warp sounds / is too good, how about requiring more of your pieces touching the Honeycomb than opponent's pieces - or else the warp cannot be used.

Your thoughts and comments please!

I'll test this out the next time I play Hive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling

Brisbane
Australia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some quick thoughts:

Basically a nice idea which fits thematically well.
Hive purists probably will not like any other tiles in the game than animals.

Mechanics:
Placing the honeycomb and rescuing the Queen Bee the next move gives your enemy just one move to prevent this action.
A honeycomb is like a teleport joker with one move delay - too powerful.

Quote:
If the Queen warp sounds / is too good, how about requiring more of your pieces touching the Honeycomb than opponent's pieces - or else the warp cannot be used.

Your thought to make it more difficult to use the honeycomb is useful but when placing the honeycomb it is only allowed to touch your own pieces, so the requirements for the warp move are fulfilled immediately.

I guess that the Honeycomb would cause much more defensive play because no one wants to waste all his animals knowing that suddenly the Queen Bee eventually could flee and then the pieces which surrounded the Queen will be in a bad position.
The safest way would be a beetle attack to cover the Queen Bee until the last move.

Furthermore the selection where to place in the Honeycomb is rather unpredictable for the opponent.
My theory is that the numbers of draws would increase because after a rescue action in most cases the board will be spread more widely and less pieces are left for a new surrounding attempt.

As a consequence the Honeycomb will be more an immanent threat than a piece which will be used very often in games between advanced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xeno Xeno
msg tools
Thanks for your reply!
You make a good point about the quick-use of it.. you can flee in only one turn. I wonder if limiting honeycomb placement to your first 4 turns would help at all (or must be place before the Queen Bee is placed). Or.. must be placed before the Queen Bee, then the Queen Bee must be placed next to the honeycomb? So you can't warp very far without spending initiative.

Hm.. think it needs more thought to work well.

Any other suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Werner
United States
Iselin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I second the belief that such a "honeycomb" piece would cause overextension of resources and increased draw rate.

I'd also add that the "honeycomb" is in way contrary to the intuitive movements of Hive pieces. While I understand that a honeycomb is stationary and is in ways connected to the queen bee, I don't feel that the teleporting action makes much sense for the seldom moving queen. I would more strongly associate a teleporting piece with something such as a firefly, which seems to disappear and reappear at different locations. Also, having a piece which cannot move and is not an animal is an oddball for Hive. Furthermore, this would be an additional departure as Hive is a "growing" abstract, that is, it focuses on position and adding new pieces into play as opposed to a "shrinking" game which places a good amount of emphasis on removing pieces. The Honeycomb would be the first piece to be permanently removed. But such is required lest the honeycomb endlessly prolong the game.

From a practical point of view, the queen bee is often pinned down and using a honeycomb as initially described would often be impossible as it would violate the one hive rule. Also, as a queen bee becomes increasingly surrounded, effecting a teleport with the honeycomb would be clumsy as you 'd need to disrupt the board to do it. Most moves don't do this as they occur on the sides or top of the hive and obey the sliding movement convention. While the beetle, grasshopper, and mosquito (bearing attributes of the previous two) can make such disrupting moves, they are usually uncommon whereas the honeycomb would cause disruption almost invariably given the purpose of its use.

Overall, I wouldn't say this fits very well into the game, mechanically or spiritually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jānis Rudzītis
Latvia
Jūrmala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of honeycomb pieces is interesting (specially - „Place it like you do another piece, it never moves”).
However, I have another proposal.
The first 2 (B&W) pieces, which are placed at the beginning, are seldom used later. Maybe would be useful to place 2 honeycomb (B&W) pieces as a start pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.