Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: When is a location not a location? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
128
badge
22
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

I've been searching the forums a lot to find out the correct answer to a couple of questions I've had, but there's one thing that I still unclear to me. Is there any circumstance when a location is not a location?

On the board there are different types of AREAS:

LOCATIONS are the round spaces.
STREETS are the rectangular spaces that connect the different areas with each other.
OTHER WORLDS have two areas each on the side of the board.

So, when I read cards and rules that refer to LOCATIONS, I assume they are talking about LOCATIONS and not STREETS or OTHER WORLDS.

For instance, when the Hound of Tindalos moves, he moves to the closest investigator in a LOCATION. So, if an investigator is standing in the STREETS right next to the Hound, he/she is not attacked.

Furthermore, the abilities of Vincent Lee and Carolyn Fern allow you to restore 1 stamina/sanity to anyone in the same LOCATION during upkeep. Thus if Vincent (or Carolyn) is chilling in the STREETS or exploring an OTHER WORLD, the ability cannot be used.

Is this correct? Because I've read other threads where it has been implied/stated that Lee's/Fern's abilities can be used in any AREA, but this contradicts the logic described above.

Thanks in advance!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Whalen
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
The holy dove, she will be caught again.
badge
Bought and sold, and bought again. The dove is never free.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Locations are the spaces where you draw Arkham Encounter cards. So places like The Woods, The Black Cave, Curiosity Shop etc.

Your interpretation of the Hound of Tindalos is correct. It only ever moves to locations, so if you are in the streets you are safe from its horrifying presence.

I don't recall the wording of Vincent Lee and Carolyn Fern's ability, but, if it is as you say and can only be used in Locations, then no you can't use it in Street or Other World spaces.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:

So, when I read cards and rules that refer to LOCATIONS, I assume they are talking about LOCATIONS and not STREETS or OTHER WORLDS.

For instance, when the Hound of Tindalos moves, he moves to the closest investigator in a LOCATION. So, if an investigator is standing in the STREETS right next to the Hound, he/she is not attacked.


This is correct. Note that the game refers to these concepts with a capital letter: "Locations"

Deebs wrote:

Furthermore, the abilities of Vincent Lee and Carolyn Fern allow you to restore 1 stamina/sanity to anyone in the same LOCATION during upkeep. Thus if Vincent (or Carolyn) is chilling in the STREETS or exploring an OTHER WORLD, the ability cannot be used.


This is what the special ability says:

Vincent Lee wrote:

Physician - Upkeep: Dr. Lee may restore 1 Stamina to himself or another character in his location


Note that they have not spelt location with a capital letter. Therefore, I think that this is simply used as the normal English word, and is not carefully worded to exclude Streets. To be perfectly consistent with the distinction between Streets and Locations, it should have stated "another character in his Area". I think if they really wanted to exclude Streets, they would have made this explicit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To make matters more confusing still, some cards refer to "street locations". I wish I could find the thread were this was discussed... one poster alleged that the word location should be read to refer to any other world area, street "location" or Arkham location, except where there is a clear intent to include only the Arkham locations, as in the case of Hounds of Tindalos. He made a very persuasive case... alas, I cannot remember where...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
128
badge
22
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments so far. I've actually played the game quite a lot and I'm really looking for an official clarification or really strong arguments.

For example:

Sverre wrote:
Note that they have not spelt location with a capital letter. Therefore, I think that this is simply used as the normal English word, and is not carefully worded to exclude Streets.

Can anyone confirm that Location (with a capital "L") is a LOCATION and a location (with a non-capitalized "l") is an AREA?

I understand that in the production process of a game certain things get over-looked, but I think they really messed up on the semantics in this case. In my gaming group we are happy about the way we've interpreted the rules, but it would be fun to know how it's supposed to be played...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
128
badge
22
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
To make matters more confusing still, some cards refer to "street locations". I wish I could find the thread were this was discussed... one poster alleged that the word location should be read to refer to any other world area, street "location" or Arkham location, except where there is a clear intent to include only the Arkham locations, as in the case of Hounds of Tindalos. He made a very persuasive case... alas, I cannot remember where...

The tricky part is that it's not that easy to guess the intent of the designer. In the case of Lee/Fern you could argue that you don't want to be administering physical/psychological aid out in the streets or in another world, and thus only able to use the special ability in a Location. Is this what the designer intended? I have no idea...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
The problem is FFG went to great lengths to make each space distinct and then messed up their own terminology.

So you have to use a bit of common sense. Most times location means the physical Arkham location that the investigator is standing on. But with most of the Investigator abilities refereing to "location" they really meant same physical space. It seems most of the times location is misused is on these investigator sheets and not so much the cards themselves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:

The tricky part is that it's not that easy to guess the intent of the designer. In the case of Lee/Fern you could argue that you don't want to be administering physical/psychological aid out in the streets or in another world, and thus only able to use the special ability in a Location. Is this what the designer intended? I have no idea...


I'd say for the part of Lee/Fern location means streets and LOCATIONS, i.e. the areas on the board where items can be traded. Not so much the other worlds, as the investigators are supposed to be far apart there. Both in the same space of an other wolrd does not mean they meet there.
Alas, they meet on the streets.
At least it is how we play it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of the Hound of Tindalos, a "Location" (as in a place with rooms, usually) is specified because Hounds materialize out of the corners of rooms.

I think this is one of those things where (especially since it is a co-op game) all players should come to an agreement and just stick with what their definition of "Location" is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Wisniewski
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Find me on Twitter @bgg_geraldkw
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I play mostly solo games, and I usually choose to rule against the investigators if I am on the fence about something (for example I never even considered that Hound of Tindalos doesn't attack you if you are in the streets, but now I see that is clearly the intent). I think it is more in tune with the hopelessness of the Lovecraft universe if everything is pretty much a screw over, but I think restricting Carolyn and Vincent to only "Locations" is overkill. This is especially true of Vincent, who I don't even play with because he is a rather boring investigator, despite having a cool picture.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.