Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still beavering away with the Initiation Set combat missions. I'm now on "Mission 5: Against the Clock", which introduces the concept of the "Activation Sequence" - I have read the main rulebook section on this too and I have to say that this is one of the things that I think I will like most about the game.

OK.. here is the dumb question....

The two cards that I have to represent Storm Golems or Steel Troopers are identical. There are two units of each in this scenario. How am I supposed to tell these units apart when it comes to activating them in the card sequence? I appreciate that we could just do this on "trust", but if we do that we may as well just make a verbal declaration and not play down cards. I can also imagine that in the larger game (and more units are already on order), it might get more confusing and there may be genuine memory issues.

I await (shamefully) clarification on what I have missed this time......

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you start buying more units you will get more cards for each unit with different pictures on them, like leaders, special weapons etc.

You will use, say, the rocket launcher picture for the unit that has the rocket launcher, and the captain picture for the unit that has the captain model in it, etc.

If you can't do that, sleeve your cards and slip a corner of a paper in one sleeve and note at the beggining of the game that that unit is 'paper'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Ebonsword
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may surprise you, but my recollection is that the official ruling from Rackham is that, if you have identical units with the same card, you can activate *either* unit when the card comes up.

This doesn't allow you to activate the same unit twice in one turn, but it does allow, the first time one of the unit cards is revealed, to activate either unit first.

That being said, a lot of folks seem not to like this rule (for fairly obvious reasons) and differentiate their units and cards by putting some kind of distinguishing mark on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebonsword wrote:
This may surprise you, but my recollection is that the official ruling from Rackham is that, if you have identical units with the same card, you can activate *either* unit when the card comes up.

Actually they backpedaled on that and kiboshed that ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Robinson
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebonsword wrote:

That being said, a lot of folks seem not to like this rule (for fairly obvious reasons) and differentiate their units and cards by putting some kind of distinguishing mark on them.

We sleeve our cards using the hard plastic sleeves. I personally use little white labels found at an office store and mark my cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.