Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Some people just piss me off! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That's actually the punch line in a very long shaggy-dog story about the cattle rancher who, over the course of one summer loses his cattle, his ranch, his family, his dog and finally his last horse. And when he asks God why, his reply is: Some people just piss me off.

And it also seems to be a recurring theme the last week or so on BGG. What with all the carping about proper use of Geek Lists and proper use of journals and whether BGG has guidelines for trading, selling or whatever. I even read one journal entry where a Geek feared the GL's would turn into a marketplace for invading hordes of online sellers looking for a venue that charges less than eBay!

My opinion is that nothing ought to be policed by the owners of BGG unless it is a change that causes the Geek to veer from it's mission. And since many of us may define Mission differently, I suppose the owners are the decision makers.

I think journals are probably the best place for most of the GL's that people have been pissy about, but I really don't see it as a big deal. Some of you guys are really in need of some sort of outside activity in your lives if you can get that worked up over someone else using a free website in a manner you disapprove of.

Be patient. This too shall pass. And if it doesn't, then you're really screwed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HERE, HERE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
HERE, HERE!

Isn't it "Hear, hear!"? If so, I shall echo the sentiment: HEAR, HEAR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to pee
You're just aching to start a pissing contest, aren't you DW? Well, I say...cool.

I love it when the perenially indignant work up a frothy golden lather and begin to spray copious streams of rhetorical urine on each other.

Let it flow, baby, let it flow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim K.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, Indeed.

From http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mhear.html
Why do people say, "Hear, hear"?

Dear Straight Dope:

When you agree with someone, do you say "Here Here!" or "Hear Hear" ? And what does it mean? What is the origin of "Here Here" or "Hear Hear"? --Tymoma195

SDSTAFF Veg replies:

The correct term is, "hear, hear!" It is an abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

Of course, if the speaker is actually asking a question, such as "and just where do you think we should open the new strip club?" it's not hard to imagine that at least one yahoo in attendance might yell, "here, here!" But this would be the exception that proves the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i haven't had coffee today

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien G.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Some of you guys are really in need of some sort of outside activity in your lives if you can get that worked up over someone else using a free website in a manner you disapprove of.

I quite agree with you on the subject. However, I'd recommend you do some more outside work as well, so you don't get pissed off to easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
woah now nellie!
All fine and good and, yes, some people get a little over-protective re what's a good geeklist, but it seems to me that the people protesting about 'geeklist nazis', etc., are the ones doing pretty much 96.2% of the shitting on people around here this week.

So, how long do people need to drivel on about how much they hate people who tell other people what's right and wrong in geeklists, before they feel that their point's been made? Or before everybody gets fed up with all the endless whining about people telling other people what's right and wrong?

I've been trying to staying out of it. I have better things to do with my time than tell people what to do or not do (whether it be how to use gl or how to (not) respond to gl), but think it is more than a little ironic that people who don't want to be told what to do can't seem to stop telling other people how to (not) repond to their gl....

...and I'm tired of it...as well as of the endless selfish geeklists cluttering up the front page...but I don't have to read them, so go ahead and post them, I won't tell you not to....but that doesn't stop me saying quietly to myself, 'what an a****le' when I see yet another one...

love to all,
Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Some of you guys are really in need of some sort of outside activity in your lives if you can get that worked up over someone else using a free website in a manner you disapprove of.

You go tell 'em man! I rate this as a five emoticon post!
meeplebaggoldencamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Life on Mosquito Acres
Quote:
However, I'd recommend you do some more outside work as well, so you don't get pissed off to easily.

That's the beauty of it Julien... I never get pissed off. And I figured out many decades ago that having multiple areas of interest was the key. So even if one area is dogging it a bit, other areas have the potential of bringing joy and wonderfullness into one's otherwise dismal, Geeky existence.

So, I'd hang around and post more but the sun is partially out, the horses need hay, I have to start figuring out the irrigation because they turn the water on in about 2 months, I need to check on my store, feed and play with the dogs, ride my Harley and then make some spare cash for extra games and Harley parts on eBay. Soon the 2 year old will be up from his nap, the freaky teenaged stepdaughters will return from their loser dad's house and my other kids will call to check on me.

Get my point? I'm too damned tired to get pissy, but never to tired to piss someone else off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
man its obivous!
Tripp just needs some love , like , man, from his fellow geeks and then all his negative waves will be washed away in a sea of love , right on hepcats !!!

We are all part of the cosmic geekiness dudes , don't you just dig it brother and sister geeks !!

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear, Hear!
Totally agree.

------------ LONGER WINDED THOOUGHT FOLLOWS: ---------------
I've always wondered if some people feel they must reply to everything they read...

Relax folks...it's a list, it's a journal, it's an opinion. Stop getting the undies in a bunch over someone else's questions or attempts to join the conversation and share their thought.

Myself, if it's not of value to me, I don't need to drop something in to slam the other person for doing it; they found value in it.

If someone needs help/opinions on a game, I'll give what I think of it and it's no skin off my nose...I like to try and help out and be friendly. Who the Hell cares if it's another, "I don't know what to get list"?

People, these games cost dough. There are a lot to choose from (look at the 'Geek for example) and when you're starting or overwhelmed by the options--and you don't know people to ask or any of the 'Geek Squad members--what are you to do?

Ask someone for thoughts and read reviews. If you don't know about reviews or where to click on the 'Geek as you start out I understand that and won't punish you for it.

If you have a thought in your journal, I'll respect that as it's your journal and doesn't have to be about games.

Go forth, make friends, game on, and enjoy the ride for what it is. Try smiling and laughing once and a while....

Reading some of the responses to people asking questions makes me wonder how many resident 'Geeks look like the old pictures of our settler ancestors in America: God, could one of you dour grandpas smile for the camera once??? Everyone looks pissed off in those shots and soooooo wedgy inflicted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
However, I'd recommend you do some more outside work as well, so you don't get pissed off to easily.

That's the beauty of it Julien... I never get pissed off. And I figured out many decades ago that having multiple areas of interest was the key. So even if one area is dogging it a bit, other areas have the potential of bringing joy and wonderfullness into one's otherwise dismal, Geeky existence.

So, I'd hang around and post more but the sun is partially out, the horses need hay, I have to start figuring out the irrigation because they turn the water on in about 2 months, I need to check on my store, feed and play with the dogs, ride my Harley and then make some spare cash for extra games and Harley parts on eBay. Soon the 2 year old will be up from his nap, the freaky teenaged stepdaughters will return from their loser dad's house and my other kids will call to check on me.

Get my point? I'm too damned tired to get pissy, but never to tired to piss someone else off.

He's lying. His plan is to play Magic until 5:00 PM when that "super bowel" thing is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien G.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's the beauty of it Julien... I never get pissed off.

Well, that's excellent, then! I have to admit I've not been blissed myself with the faculty of keeping my cool in every situation. Fortunately I still haven't lost it because of what's going on on a website.

Quote:
I'm too damned tired to get pissy, but never to tired to piss someone else off.

That's just evil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Krow
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Do you have any ice?
I don't even like games anymore. However, i'm a sucker for a two liter and a bowl of pretzels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey A****le!
Quote:
...and I'm tired of it...as well as of the endless selfish geeklists cluttering up the front page...but I don't have to read them, so go ahead and post them, I won't tell you not to....but that doesn't stop me saying quietly to myself, 'what an a****le' when I see yet another one...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Wow, you posted two useless Geeklists yourself, a****le.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
useless?
uselessness, like a*****lishness being in the eye of the beholder...love you too chaddyboy! kiss

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
more seriously...
...who's complaining about useless gl? Certainly not me. I like 'em, esp. when they're amusing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know Tripp, I've had plenty of philosophical disagreements with you in the past, but on this one we see completely eye to eye...

I hope the universe doesn't implode when I hit the submit button...

surprise

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw this journal...
and its author, my first thought was, "So what else is new???"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
great minds think alike...
When I saw this journal entry...

Quote:
Mark Kittel
(kimapesan)

...and its author, my first thought was, "So what else is new???"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's Sunday I'll say...AMEN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
DW tripp says:
Quote:

This whole Journal entry suggests otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Aaron complains:

Quote:
DW tripp says:
Quote:

This whole Journal entry suggests otherwise.

That's because you didn't bother to read the journal entry Aaron, just the userid and title. Heck. I even explained in the first paragraph where the "pissed off" line came from. Here's a line from the journal:

And it also seems to be a recurring theme the last week or so on BGG

And it really is true... about me not getting pissed off I mean. Not sure about you guys though, some of you seem to lead pretty tension-filled lives with loads of angst and fretting about games, BGG and other other life & death situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Quote:
That's because you didn't bother to read the journal entry Aaron, just the userid and title.

Nope. I'm commenting on the extremely judgmental nature of your rhetoric. Even your insertion of the word "complains" above my comment, above, simply drips with frustration. That's fine with me -- as one with a long acquintanceship with "pissed off," I think there can be some utility in righteous anger. Clearly, some guidelines, one way or the other, need to come down from the site owners about the use of Geeklists. That is a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.