Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, what is the "Cube" format & how does it work?

Cheers,

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Ross
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Basically you pick a couple hundred cards that you like and use them to make your own "packs" for drafting.

How to begin your cube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Orr
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
I hunger!!!
badge
Galactus wants to know if you have been Naughty or Nice
mbmbmbmbmb
www.cubedrafting.com is a nice starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also a way to sculpt and streamline your collection so you are playing the game with spacific parameters in mind. People who play competitive tend to sink a lot of money into the game because they are trying to keep relevant... Cube basically says "take your favorite cards, buy one of each, and make a well tuned replayable machine out of them. I like that it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want, and you can put in archtypes that you like.It's hard to find a good balance though if you have a limited collection... so yeah it's not TOTALLY cheap and affordable, and many people spend thousands tricking out and foiling out their cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Cube a few times with my own card pool and I can already say with confidence that it's my favourite way of playing magic. You don't even have to own a single MtG card to play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Typically, a cube is 50 cards of each color, 50 lands/artifacts, and 50 multicolored cards. (Many make smaller or larger cubes, as long as they are balanced). There is only one of each card, and they are selected so that every card is generally "good" to draft. There should be no bad cards--thus, games and drafts are more likely to be balanced and interesting, and you can simply shuffle everything together and deal them out, with no further preparation.

I'm just finishing up my own Cube, made largely out of cards I had lying around with a few commons and cheap rares thrown in to fill in gaps. I now have a small box that will be ready for any kind of draft or constructed play, that's hopefully balanced and fun.

I'm a geek, and I've also LOVED putting this together, looking at websites for ideas for cheap cubes, fiddling with my excel spreadsheet...

Here's the best place to start:
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=349

Enjoy. And remember, many people make cubes out of the very best cards in the history of the game, and they are fabulously expensive. However, there is no need to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.