Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I finally got an opportunity to play a 4 player game of Agricola. Myself and one other have only played a handful of times with the max 2 people. The other two were completely new to the game as well as worker placement mechanics. Since we had new players we played the family game (after consulting with other BGGers). While the game is great with 2 players I found it really shines with 4. There were a few things that surprised me though.

1 Animals are scarce. Everyone will have an opportunity to get their share of sheep. And others will get wild boar. Cattle on the other hand were scarce. And with a table of fairly inexperienced players, only one cattle was able to escape the fireplace. At the end of the game, only two players had animals left. One with a single sheep, the other had a few sheep and wild boar and the single cattle.

2 No one had less than 4 unoccupied spaces. Two of use didn't have a single fenced pasture. One new player had 10 open spaces. I was surprised how inefficient I felt compared to a 2 player game. Even though I was first to grow and the only that ended with 5 family members, I still had 4 empty spaces, zero fences, one sheep. Do others find that they often will have a number of categories yielding -1 points? I definitely felt that I had to concentrate on a few things (for me building rooms and sowing) rather than diversify.

3 LOW scores. I won this game...barely. End scores were 21, 20, 19, 18. I blocked Family Growth w/o room 2/3 turns. Had I not done that, I would have lost. Funny thing is the 2nd place player is the one with 10 empty spaces. He just happen to get 12 points off of major improvements. In a 4 player game, are these low scores actually respectable?

So, in the end this game was a hit. So much so that my friend is looking at other worker placement games (Dungeon Lords) to add to the group. I can't believe that only a 1/2 year ago I was playing monopoly with an eventual game of Catan (which I can't stand anymore). Love the BGG!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Your scores are very low, but that's not surprising for a first time through. When no one is feeding efficiently, the food resources on the board get tight enough that it will drag everyone down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel bad; the Ugoi have posted even worse scores. And you're absolutely correct; I believe this game shines most brightly as a 4-player contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Soderlund
United States
Dallas
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good score in Agricola is 1 more than the second-place player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uniconfis wrote:
I blocked Family Growth w/o room 2/3 turns.

I'm curious about this. Did you have Family growth those 2 times, or did you place there without taking the action?

And Dungeon Lords is a fun (but very tight) game. Quite a brain-burner (similar to Agricola with cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.