Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
A new promo card was announced an the Thunderstone's Facebook page. It is a trap that punishes heroes with low strength. It will be distributed via stores hosting AEG games day.

I am reluctant to re-post the picture here (not sure if it is ok with the authors), so you can check it out in Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thunderstone/119879821382169
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Amos
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
2 questions: how do we find these stores? What if we don't have one in our area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for doing things to help support the brick & mortar stores but there could be a lot of players not able to get this for a variety of reasons. The store in my area has been a lon g-time supporter of AEG products. But he isn't anxious to carry anything Thunderstone. He isn't happy that AEG sold Wrath at GenCon which is just 45 minutes away while his pre-order customers couldn't get the product from him. Some canceled their orders with him and bought at GenCon which cost him sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
amosmj wrote:
2 questions: how do we find these stores? What if we don't have one in our area?

It sounds like this is taking place at the L5R Stronghold stores. That should be info that can be found on the L5R AEG site. That link is here:

http://www.l5r.com/stores/

As for not having one in your area...that I don't know how to help you with yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone meets Dungeonquest... I like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
What is AEG games day?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kraig Shattuck
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
rickert wrote:
I'm all for doing things to help support the brick & mortar stores but there could be a lot of players not able to get this for a variety of reasons. The store in my area has been a lon g-time supporter of AEG products. But he isn't anxious to carry anything Thunderstone. He isn't happy that AEG sold Wrath at GenCon which is just 45 minutes away while his pre-order customers couldn't get the product from him. Some canceled their orders with him and bought at GenCon which cost him sales.

Is he upset at nearly every company at GenCon then? It is a long standing tradition for companies to release product early at GenCon. As a retailer, you have to deal with it, because I cannot see any way around it other than closing your doors and going into another line of work. Just a few for you, Reo Grand released Prosperity early, AEG released Wrath early, Gary Games released Ascension early, and Petroglyph released Heroes of Graxia early. That is just in the Card Draft style games. I can go on and on with other companies that prereleased items at GenCon, some up to 6 months before release. It is not something that is going to change anytime soon, so getting upset about it is just hurting yourself.

I look at it this way. I go to GenCon and buy prerelease games, then go back to my local game store and run games in the store. This generates sales as people play the games then like them. At first, years ago, the store didn't like me doing this. Now they welcome me back after genCon each year, and wait for the orders to roll in. They make more in sales this way than they lose due to a few people going to GenCon and buying the games early.

Take your game to the store and run some games with new players, and see if the store owner doesn't get those canceled orders back from new people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
AEG Games Day is our new promotion to support non-L5R games at local stores! Promotional items for various games will go out to them for the players who buy and play there.

http://www.l5r.com/stores/ our Stronghold Store listing for Legend of the Five Rings is indeed where you can find the current list. Please search by state if you don't see any in your zip area, as it doesn't do a vicinity search, just an exact zip. Yeah its dumb but we're trying to improve it.

By early next week you should see a graphic tag along with the L5R Clan levels which will indicate they are participating in Games Day. If your favorite store isn't listed, please have them contact customerservice@alderac.com and ask to join, its free as long as they stock our products! And please have THEM ask, don't ask for them.

Finally, we make no apologies for supporting brick and mortar. Even if it might make it a little harder on some players to get the cards. Brick and mortar stores have supported us for many years, and we will return the favor as often as we can.

And if you're in a complete dead zone of stores, we'll try to come up with a way to help you out, though it will be after the promotion for the card in question ends in stores, as we do want them to benefit from it initially. Them's the breaks.

Thanks for all your support of Thunderstone and our other games! We hope you enjoy them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keegantir wrote:
rickert wrote:

Is he upset at nearly every company at GenCon then? It is a long standing tradition for companies to release product early at GenCon. As a retailer, you have to deal with it, because I cannot see any way around it other than closing your doors and going into another line of work. Just a few for you, Reo Grand released Prosperity early, AEG released Wrath early, Gary Games released Ascension early, and Petroglyph released Heroes of Graxia early. That is just in the Card Draft style games. I can go on and on with other companies that prereleased items at GenCon, some up to 6 months before release. It is not something that is going to change anytime soon, so getting upset about it is just hurting yourself.

I look at it this way. I go to GenCon and buy prerelease games, then go back to my local game store and run games in the store. This generates sales as people play the games then like them. At first, years ago, the store didn't like me doing this. Now they welcome me back after genCon each year, and wait for the orders to roll in. They make more in sales this way than they lose due to a few people going to GenCon and buying the games early.

Take your game to the store and run some games with new players, and see if the store owner doesn't get those canceled orders back from new people.

There are several problems with your post. He doesn't hold it against all companies because it just isn't a policy that would be based in reality. But Wrath is a special case. He took preorders with the understanding that the game would be out around the time of Origins (when it was first sold to the public in late June). Then over a month later when the game was still unavailable to him, his customers for Wrath cancelled and bought at GenCon because they were tired of waiting. I can't see why anyone would fault him for being irritated at AEG for that lost of revenue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point is that lots of companies sell stuff at big cons that you can't find otherwise. Either it is exclusive to the con, like some of the special Essen components I've seen for certain games, or you can buy the game ahead of everyone else.

Wrath of the Elements is just one case, but in theory, every year he's losing some sales to GenCon, just simply because a lot of companies release things at GenCon, not just AEG.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
The point is that lots of companies sell stuff at big cons that you can't find otherwise. Either it is exclusive to the con, like some of the special Essen components I've seen for certain games, or you can buy the game ahead of everyone else.

Wrath of the Elements is just one case, but in theory, every year he's losing some sales to GenCon, just simply because a lot of companies release things at GenCon, not just AEG.

Cameron

But he's only losing those sales in theory. These are sales he knew he had and not just ones he might have had and probably would have had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Frank
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Space, the final frontier...
badge
The sun is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace, where hydrogen is built into helium, at a temperature of millions of degrees.
mbmbmb
Looks like an interesting card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfrank wrote:
Looks like an interesting card!

It sure does.

As to the availability (or lack thereof) of Thunderstone promos...the lack of one card in your Thunderstone collection should not affect your enjoyment of the game. While exclusive promos are certainly dangerous for collectible, competitive games (and AEG has certainly created it's fair share of those over the years) as far as a game like Thunderstone is concerned it's absence is negligible.

In short it would be cool to have but is far from necessary. However knowing that "gamer" and "completist" are synonymous, you could always sleeve your cards and make a proxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Will AEG be coming to BGG.CON again this year, and if so, will they bring copies of this with them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.