6 Posts

Samarkand: Routes to Riches» Forums » Variants

Subject: House rules or variants? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Lewis
msg tools
mb
I'm very interested in any variants or house rules that would add some heft to this game. I like it, I made the investment, but my wife keeps going back to Carcassonne. I'd prefer not to have a mint condition game sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

Some ideas: marauders or sandstorms that break caravan lines, oases that extend caravan lines, a camel market to extend a families trade routes without marrying into another family.

I know an expansion is due and I have high expectations, but I don't necessarily want to wait for the expansion to play the game again.

-- Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure that heft is the reason it's not popular? Are you playing to win? Was this 2p?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
rockambo wrote:
I'm very interested in any variants or house rules that would add some heft to this game. I like it, I made the investment, but my wife keeps going back to Carcassonne.

Yup. For a light game I agree with your wife. I occasionally contemplate a Samarkand variant that would bring it back to a Age of Scheme: Routes to Riches style game. But I just don't have the time for the playtesting. There are too many good games out there.

Its too bad that Queen took all the teeth out of the Winsome game and published something as bland as this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lewis
msg tools
mb
From what I gather, people do think that it's too light. Yes, we play to win. Yes, this was two player. The two player rules are not very divergent from the regular game play. Having said all this, it might be a better game with four people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the game very entertaining, particularly with four. It's a light game, sure, but still, few games pack this much punch in just 20-25 minutes. The arc of the game is very tight and the end sudden, and it would be hard to see where to add something without breaking the game.

That said, I do wait for the expansion, it'll be interesting to see what it has to offer. Also, I haven't found much need to play the game with just two players, there are better options. Give the game a go with four players and maybe you'll enjoy it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lewis
msg tools
mb
Thanks, Mikko. Your recommendations were crucial to my decision to purchase the game. Have any variant ideas occurred to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.