Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asl [+] spouse_friendly [+] [View All]
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just thought I'd share that this morning the 2nd Edition ASL Rulebook arrived at my door while my wife and I were playing Scenario 2 of Squad Leader. I officially got out of the D&D 4th Edition business by making a trade with Aaron at Noble Knight for the ASL Rulebook.

(I might add that as the Germans, Robin ended up taking control of the tractorworks and winning the game.)

Now, thanks to Jason at Wargame Depot, I'll have a copy of Beyond Valor after September 1st.

I have to admit to being slightly daunted by the scope of the rulebook, but as my wife said upon seeing it, "There's a bunch of games in those rules just waiting to be played!" That's the spirit, honey!

How many of you have put the rulebook pages into protective sleeves?

So, the journey begins...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your wife wants to play ASL with you.

WOW.

I sleeve my pages - you'll be flipping through pages A LOT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Miller
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puck4604 wrote:
So, I just thought I'd share that this morning the 2nd Edition ASL Rulebook arrived at my door while my wife and I were playing Scenario 2 of Squad Leader. I officially got out of the D&D 4th Edition business by making a trade with Aaron at Noble Knight for the ASL Rulebook.

Grats on both walking away from 4E and picking up ASL.

Quote:
Now, thanks to Jason at Wargame Depot, I'll have a copy of Beyond Valor after September 1st.

Jason is cool beyond words. His entire operation is a class act.

Quote:
I have to admit to being slightly daunted by the scope of the rulebook, but as my wife said upon seeing it, "There's a bunch of games in those rules just waiting to be played!" That's the spirit, honey!

My wife has hers sleeved up, whereas I do not. I just can't see myself going through that much trouble, despite the ridiculous amount of page flipping that can go hand in hand with playing the game.

Quote:

Yep. You'll live the remainder of your long and happy days never reaching the end of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapter H is the equivalent of a free WWII reference guide that comes with the game. Pages and pages of good stuff in there. Take to bed and read at night kind of good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puck4604 wrote:
I have to admit to being slightly daunted by the scope of the rulebook, but as my wife said upon seeing it, "There's a bunch of games in those rules just waiting to be played!"

Robin is cool beyond words.

Quote:

I do, but I know plenty of people who don't. If it were just the standard ASLRB to worry about, I might not bother. If a couple of pages got ratty or ripped a few years down the line, I could just buy a backup set of pages and replace bad ones from time to time. The problem is that you start acquiring replacement pages and extra pages from out-of-print modules and HASL's, and those would be much harder to replace. It does get bulky in page protectors, though. I keep Chapter A-E in one big binder, Chapter H in another, and everything else in a third which rarely comes off the shelf. Considering how little I use Chapter E and how bulky the main binder is, I should probably move E to the supplemental binder as well. However you end up handling the pages, you'll probably want a separate binder for Chapter H, as it grows very quickly as you collect more modules but is rarely referenced during games.

Quote:

Since you're waiting on BV anyway, I'll offer another suggestion. Go back and play a couple of SK1 scenarios using only the ASLRB. You'll already know the rules, you'll just need to find out where they're located in the big book. The ASLRB is a fantastic reference, but you need to familiarize yourself with its layout before that becomes obvious. No ASL player knows every rule, but most regulars know exactly where to find most answers without needing the Index. To take a few examples I often need to look up, I can say without the book open that Prisoners are towards the end of A, OBA is the beginning of C, and Concealment Loss/Gain is on the pink divider. If you start doing that with the SK1 rules, you'll get a good idea of the ASLRB's layout and it will make it easier to incorporate new rules as you need them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two copies of the rulebook. One is in page protectors in binders, with the most recent change pages I have available incorporated. The other I got spiral-bound (chapters A-E, and the Index), and cart that around (with a loose set of chapter dividers) when I play away from home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to the ASL fraternity, and good luck sleeving all those pages : if you get everything, I reckon you'll need 350+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
Sleeve those pages, it wouldn't take you an hour. Sleeveless pages are very week and will tear out easier that you think. And, welcome to the Jungle, we got fun and games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puck4604 wrote:

I have to admit to being slightly daunted by the scope of the rulebook, but as my wife said upon seeing it, "There's a bunch of games in those rules just waiting to be played!" ..

dude!!

You win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russ
United States
Marshall
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My RB is in sleeves.

I'm starting to think you are making up this "wife" of yours! Too good to be true.....

Cheers,
Jason
Wargame Depot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Clair
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:

I sleeve my pages - you'll be flipping through pages A LOT.

Definitely worth sleeving, I even cut the official pages slightly so they fit into my sleeves for binder.

welcome to the community, I think the ASL community is second to none in the wargame field. Be sure to check tutorial for beginners, but feel free to ask if you have any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
kypros wrote:
I'm starting to think you are making up this "wife" of yours! Too good to be true.....

Cheers,
Jason
Wargame Depot

Jason, I used to have a "girlfriend" in Knoxville when I was 16...but Robin is real! LOL

Here's a picture, dated now (2006), of one of our first games of Squad Leader together. I've lost 80 lbs. since, and her hair is much, much different.

I can't remember who won that particular scenario, but I can tell you that she's one tough competitor! She probably wins 60% of the time. I'm hoping the heavier rules of ASL slow her down a bit and give me a leg up, muwhahahahaha.

And Jason, I appreciate your holding Beyond Valor for me! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Likewise, I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions in the thread! I plan on getting those page protectors soon!

Todd, I wish I still had ASLSK#1 so I could do as you suggest. Unfortunately, I loaned it out and it is gone forever.

I do have some more trade credit with Noble Knight, so I am looking over their ASL inventory, seeing a lot to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be a vehement non-page-protector guy until the holes started ripping on my pages. Then I put them in plastic. And now I like it WAY better that way.

I'd also suggest getting a d-ring binder; the pages lay much more flat. I have A-E in a D-ring, and the rest in my ASL binder. Granted, I don't have all of 'the rest' yet, so I may need a third pretty soon as I keep getting all the new mods.

ASL is delicious, but finicky. Prepare to look stuff up A LOT. Prepare to look up the same thing over and over again. But it's worth it. SO worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamieson Teo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hijack your thread Hilary..

What sleeves do you folks use? Sorry its sounds silly, all the sleeves I have over here have margins. Do you guys have one that fits the page along with the holes. Also, its only A4 here, I don't know if it'll fit. But definitely needs page protector.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being on the other side of the planet right now in the jungle, I missed posting to your first thread, but several posts I like to reference are from Merric in this thread here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/433756/new-to-asl-buying...

Also, here's a good site with nice details on what's out there:

http://www.desperationmorale.com/

Welcome to the fold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Protective sleeves are a MUST. Don't go without. You'll be very sorry when the pages begin to rip out...

They have many kinds. I got Page Protectors way back when...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I laminated and hole-punched mine. Page protectors are too thick so you need multiple binders and/or really big binders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamieson Teo
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeO wrote:
I laminated and hole-punched mine. Page protectors are too thick so you need multiple binders and/or really big binders.

That sounds like ALOT of work! I have a laminator but I always thought that lamination sheets are alot thicker? Ditto on the multiple binders, I'm actually thinking for getting more! But looks like MMP no longer have them (just prefer to have the ASL one.. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
daecon wrote:
That sounds like ALOT of work! I have a laminator...

I think you would have to be somewhat insane to do this yourself with a home laminator - I'd think it would be a solid day of non-stop laminating, trimming, and punching. The materials would also be quite expensive. This would be a job for a professional shop. You might be able to get a decent volume discount on 150+ sheets.

Quote:
...but I always thought that lamination sheets are alot thicker?

That depends on the thickness of the lamination pouches. The shop I use goes down to 1.5 mil - I think that would do nicely at preventing rips, but would probably end up being thinner than the heavy-duty page protectors I use.

The big problem I see with lamination is that it makes it harder to add errata. You could put sticky errata on top of the laminate, but that seems ugly and prone to wear. You can't pencil in notes as easily either. But you could use an overhead marker to write on laminate - Staedtler makes fine point ones, but they're not easy to find.

It's an interesting idea, though. Done well, it would be a nice compromise between protection and usability. If you very carefully applied all the current errata before lamination, you wouldn't end up doing too much more on top of the laminate. You could end up with a nice final product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
puck4604 wrote:

I have to admit to being slightly daunted by the scope of the rulebook, but as my wife said upon seeing it, "There's a bunch of games in those rules just waiting to be played!" That's the spirit, honey!.

Protective sleeves are cheap and easy to work with because the rulebook pages are nice and thick.

Don't worry about the size of the rulebook one bit.

Read the parts you need to know for the scenario you're playing.

Start with Infantry & Support Weapons (80% of Chapter A & 30% of Chapter B). Those rules get you like 60% of the way there for the game.

Then go with the Chapter C Ordnance and finally the Chapter D stuff.

Just play play play play play play play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While you're sleeving the pages here's a tip:

Put the index in it's own small binder.

The index is excellent. And you'll be using it often. With it in it's own binder, you can look up a topic, and keep the index open to that topic as you check out the various related sections of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
puck4604 wrote:

Is that The Guards Counterattack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:

I prefer to put mine in front of everything else in my main A-E binder. But either way, don't bury it in the back. As Ryan said, you'll be using it a lot. Also, the ASLRB Index is a funny combination of index and glossary. There are certain rules questions that are only really answered in the Index. So again, you want to keep it handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Have two rulebooks. Then run into the problem with errata pages that came with Scenario Packs or extra rules. And even if I like MMP I did not want to buy every pack twice.

So I have one rulebook that contains all of the rules updated, the second one for using at home with rules written, glued over, copied for the errata.

Then I got another idea - I used a color-copy-printer, copied my rulebook and went to a store binding it. Now I have a decent rulebook (sans chapter H) that I can take with me. Also I put the index up first.
Because of the (heavy) usage I have to replace it every 4 or 5 years but this is fine - it was not expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
keethrax wrote:

I prefer to put mine in front of everything else in my main A-E binder. But either way, don't bury it in the back. As Ryan said, you'll be using it a lot. Also, the ASLRB Index is a funny combination of index and glossary. There are certain rules questions that are only really answered in the Index. So again, you want to keep it handy.

I started with it in the front. OK, I *started* with it in the back, but that didn't last long. But I still found it annoying to flip back to the index repeatedly while looking up a single topic that spanned multiple sections. Now the index stays open to that topic, and so each subsequent lookup of something from that index entry takes one less flip back (forward) to check the index.

Either way, the index is very useful. Use it often and you'll save yourself a lot of frustration trying to find that rule you know you "just saw somewhere". Particularly if you're coming form a SL background, when that rule you "just saw" might not be an ASL rule at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.