Kelly Aman
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
So I recently bought the Doom board game and had been planning on buying Descent anyways, but I just noticed that the gameplay is almost identical. So, if anyone has played both, can you tell me if Descent is a big change of pace or only slightly different?

I also noticed that Road to Legend and Sea of Blood look EPIC. My RPG group is currently trying to find a new game to play and I was wondering how these expansions hold up over time. Have you guys completed whole campaigns? Is there a decent progression rate? Also, how much does Sea of Blood add? Is it like a whole seperate experience or does it tie in with Road to Legend?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never Doom.
But given what I read, Descent seems more balanced and varied.

What out, RtL and Sob are NOT RPG despite taking some element from them.
If you want an hack'n'slash game, Descent is for you. If you want an RPG you are in the wrong forum and the campaign will just disapoint you.

RtL is great, BUT you have to learn to play vanilla descent, and at least a noncampaign expansion for the use of treachery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanics are very similar, however Descent is much more expanded to make it more of a dungeon crawl instead of a survival horror game. It introduces a bunch of different weapons (as opposed to a small number of set weapons), armor is different and varied, and every hero has a different special ability. The main mechanical differences are Fatigue (heroes have a limited extra points to spend on movement and attack boosts), Threat (the Overlord, Descent's version of the Invader, earns points every turn and uses these to play his cards), and Power Dice, extra dice that has a boost to range or damage, or a surge, which invokes a bonus depending on the weapon used.

If you like Doom, you'll like Descent. The games have a different feel, but a similar enough play that you'll be able to jump right in.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What shnar said.
And it's more balanced than Doom, the OL isn't as overpowered in Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitewolf wrote:
What shnar said.
And it's more balanced than Doom, the OL isn't as overpowered in Descent.

Oh I wouldn't say it's more balanced, just got a lot more features. Just like Doom, the "balance" of the game is very dependent on the mission/quest being played. Some favor the heroes greatly and some favor the Overlord. Sometimes the OL seems extremely powerful, especially for new heroes. The OL is a lot easier to play, a lot more forgiving (just like the Invader in Doom), but once the hero players figure out the subtleties of good strategy, then they learn how to keep up and the game evens out again.

Btw, I found Doom to play a lot like this. Invader is easy to play and seems overpowered, but once the marines learn the subtleties of playing then the game evens out a lot.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

Oh I wouldn't say it's more balanced, just got a lot more features. Just like Doom, the "balance" of the game is very dependent on the mission/quest being played. Some favor the heroes greatly and some favor the Overlord. Sometimes the OL seems extremely powerful, especially for new heroes. The OL is a lot easier to play, a lot more forgiving (just like the Invader in Doom), but once the hero players figure out the subtleties of good strategy, then they learn how to keep up and the game evens out again.

Btw, I found Doom to play a lot like this. Invader is easy to play and seems overpowered, but once the marines learn the subtleties of playing then the game evens out a lot.

-shnar

Doom is a lot more tilted towards Invader than Descent is towards OL. Sure it also depends on the mission in question, but just from the basic rules it certainly is. Of course you can alter that with house rules, but out of the box and in a neutral setting quest-wise I don't think there's much argument about Doom being less balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doom plays a lot quicker, with a lot less downtime between players. I liked that a lot compared to Descent (played Descent first). It just kept the game going at a lot higher pace and made it more action filled and tense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nitewolf wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Doom is a lot more tilted towards Invader than Descent is towards OL. Sure it also depends on the mission in question, but just from the basic rules it certainly is. Of course you can alter that with house rules, but out of the box and in a neutral setting quest-wise I don't think there's much argument about Doom being less balanced.

There's plenty of room for argument!

I completely disagree. There are missions in Doom that are a breeze for the marines and there are quests in Descent that are nearly impossible for the heroes. And you feel Descent is better balanced than Doom? IMHO, they're about on par with each other. They both have subtleties that need to be learned and mastered, but once mastered, the games are pretty evenly matched.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Nitewolf wrote:

There's plenty of room for argument!

I completely disagree. There are missions in Doom that are a breeze for the marines and there are quests in Descent that are nearly impossible for the heroes. And you feel Descent is better balanced than Doom? IMHO, they're about on par with each other. They both have subtleties that need to be learned and mastered, but once mastered, the games are pretty evenly matched.

-shnar

I bolded the very important part of my post you either completely ignored or overlooked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all, I play the basic rules all the time, and our games play out a lot like Descent's.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.