Subject: LNOE VERSUS AKRHAM HORROR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Daly
Ireland
Enniscorthy
Co Wexford
flag msg tools
Hey I m trying to suck my friends into board gaming,I have gone from Catan 2 T2R to dominion and last night we played El Grande all whee really enjoyed, Know arkam Horror lucks like a game i would love to try next with them but maybe it would be 2 much to take in .Does anybody think L.N.O.E would be a better gateway in to such horror tales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Havighorst
Germany
Haltern am See
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LNOE on earth is definitely easier to pick up and play. Although Arkham Horror might be interesting because it is a cooperative game, so everybody wins (or loses). But in terms of complexity, rules etc. LNOE is the better way to start. HX
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryer S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The thread should be called LNOE gateway drug to arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your group is new to boardgames, go for LNOE. Arkham will deter them from gaming for a while. LNOE is a *much* shorter game. It's also a much simpler game as far as mechanics are concerned. AH has so many little minor rules that are easy to overlook and so many bits, just setting up the game might scare your friends away.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my very favorite games, no doubt, but yes, LNOE is much more accessible in every respect.

Ravenhoe wrote:
LNOE on earth is definitely easier to pick up and play. Although Arkham Horror might be interesting because it is a cooperative game, so everybody wins (or loses). But in terms of complexity, rules etc. LNOE is the better way to start. HX

LNOE is also mostly cooperative, with 1-2 players as the zombies and the rest working together as the Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Roy
United States
Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have both, never been able to get anyone to play either. Too complex is the complaint i always hear. Let's play "meeples" (carcassonne) instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BarryRoy wrote:
i have both, never been able to get anyone to play either. Too complex is the complaint i always hear. Let's play "meeples" (carcassonne) instead.

You might have luck around October. People tend to be more in a zombie/horror mood then for some reason

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BarryRoy wrote:
i have both, never been able to get anyone to play either. Too complex is the complaint i always hear.
Too complex?

maybe when they reach second grade they'll try them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However, I have been scaring people away from this game by giving them a too hard first time scenario... A good first scenario is escape in the truck, that should work, giving the heroes a good chance of winning while at the same time putting some pressure on them. Their odds are stacked about 70 - 30 in that scenario, so even though you (as a zombie player) are experienced with the game, and they are new to it, they have a fair chance of winning.

Cheerio,
A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.