Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Hammer of the Scots??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander King
United States
Alvin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, so I finished making my big purchase of the month, and had a little money left over, so I thought Hammer of the Scots would be a good choice since I and my wife are looking forward to playing this one (so long as I could find it discounted off the $50 retail price tag - ouch!)

I have searched all of the regular game vendors mentioned here on the geek (thought hammer, funagain, gamefest, etc.) and none of them have this game available.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Is this going OOP, or are there supply issues?

Just curious if anyone has any intel....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Columbia has changed to direct distribution only - one orders via their website, free shipping anywhere in the world on orders over $100.

All their games - from Quebec from 1972 up to their newest - are in Stock, and available on http://www.columbiagames.com/index.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
here
It is still in print, but you'll have to order it from the publisher:

http://www.columbiagames.com/

Enjoy it, it's a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Columbia has changed to direct distribution only

Why would they wanna do that ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander King
United States
Alvin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks!
Thanks for the info guys....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Besides the obvious not having to manage production cost and set a reasonable value retail price to compensate for distributor and store/retailers markup (both of which typically mark up %33-50 each), and/or them simply wanting to keep this retail margin all to/for themselves, I have no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ronan
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Columbia does run sales from time to time. If you aren't in a hurry. I know they had a pre-Father's day sale, and a pre-Christmas sale last year. If I remember there games were 20% off, but don't quote me on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
Columbia has changed to direct distribution only

Presumably because they decided that, although they would sell fewer games, they could more than make up the difference in price by selling direct to consumers at full retail price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mackey
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why..
Quote:

Here is a thread on CG forum
http://www.blockgames.us/viewtopic.php?t=828

Mine own personal opinion is that it was driven by cost model. Being an independant publisher, this would allow them to cut out the costs/profit associated with normal distribution chanels.

If a retailer buys a game that retails for $50 for $25 from a distributor who pays $22 to the manufacturer, if costs rise to the point where it starts costing $30 to produce. It leaves the manufacturer in a place where if they believe that the market will only pay $50 for that game, they have to make a decision on how to be profitable. Time will tell if it works out for them.

I have ordered a few things from them since they went independent and the service has been exceptional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I'm not a huge fan of the fact that I can't order Columbia games from my local retailer, they do have great service and shipping. There have been a few sales in the past year and you do get 20% off if it's your birthday month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered HotS and Wizard Kings from them last week. The order was filled promptly and correctly. They were extremely nice when answering a question I had about shipment. Great service!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
From an international point of view...it's a great deal to get the free shipping even if the games might be a little more expensive buying direct from the manufacturing company rather than from an online boardgame store. Sometimes shipping can be 30-50% of the cost of the games on orders of only 1 or 2 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree...
I have ordered a few things from them since they went independent and the service has been exceptional

I was more than aggravated when my copies of EastFront and RitD were late due to some creative release dates on CG's end, but over all, the games and the service are superb.

Alexander, if you can wait (as was said earlier) for a sale (and they have them quite often), you can snag two games on sale and get free shipping (or so think I.) A very worthwhile investment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Quote:
...you do get 20% off if it's your birthday month.

What? When did this happen? I would have bought some stuff last month if I had known!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:
...you do get 20% off if it's your birthday month.

What? When did this happen? I would have bought some stuff last month if I had known!

Sometime this past summer they announced it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien G.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But
some retailers still have copies of some of the Columbia Games titles. In Canada, it looks like The Sentry Box (http://www.sentrybox.com/) and Le Valet D'Coeur (http://www.levalet.com/) have some; I didn't see HotS though. As a matter of fact, I ordered War of 1812 last Friday from The Sentry Box and just received my copy today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
From an international point of view...it's a great deal to get the free shipping even if the games might be a little more expensive buying direct from the manufacturing company rather than from an online boardgame store. Sometimes shipping can be 30-50% of the cost of the games on orders of only 1 or 2 games.

Free shipping is good but orders in the price range of $100+ pay heavy taxes here in Greece, to the point that they may increase the total cost up to 200%... gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best discount: Trade
There are currently 15 BGG users who have HoTS up for trade. Last week there were 16...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.