United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
A few months ago I set in place preliminary plans to run a gaming group at my church. Several church members were interested in getting together to try out these 'new-fangled' modern boardgames! As we approach the full launch of this gaming group, I enlisted the help of a couple of church members to help teach these 'new' games to those who have no real experience with board games other than Monopoly.

We had our first planning session today. Myself, Paul (already meeting on a regular basis for gaming with my family) and Bryan (long time collector and player of board games, but never played any modern board games) met at Bryan's house to introduce and teach Stone Age to Bryan. We figured that it should not be that difficult for Bryan to pick up, seeing that he was familiar with different gaming mechanics (albeit older style board games).

We spent a bit of time introducing the concept of worker placement to Bryan. His look was one of amazement; he had never heard of such a mechanic before. However, we moved on to the rules explanation and you could see Bryan's brain ticking over as he began to repeat the concepts and ask questions... he had begun formulating his own strategy!

The game, from rules explanation to final scoring too about 2 and a half hours, but it was probably the most enjoyable 2 and a half hours game playing that I have ever had, and Paul agreed with me.

After the first couple of teaching rounds, Bryan had 'got it'. Of course, he asked one or two questions as the game went on, but he was really enjoying himself... and so were Paul and I.

The endgame scores were: I won the game with a total of 193 points; Paul second with 188 points; Bryan finished last, but with a very respectable 183 points. So there were only 10 points in it! Not bad for a first time Stone Age player and a newcomer to the world of modern board games.

Bryan really enjoyed the mechanics operating within the game and we spoke about the strategic elements to the game afterwards. There will be a few more sessions before we officially launch 'Fenland Gamers', so Bryan can familiarise himself with some of the games that will be taught and be able to teach others, but I have no fear that this will be accomplished. Regardless of the reasons why we met, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, which, as I've said, was the best gaming experience that I have ever had. It was real good FUN!

Edit: changed the sentence from "The endgame scores were not particularly high:" to read "The endgame scores were:" to avoid confusion about the way we are playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
The endgame scores were not particularly high: I won the game with a total of 193 points; Paul second with 188 points; Bryan finished last, but with a very respectable 183 points.

Wait a minute. This is considered "not particularly high?" Are you sure you're playing by all the right rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Those scores are reasonable. Ours are often in the 200's for 2 players, and lower for 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinb9n wrote:
JoffW wrote:
The endgame scores were not particularly high: I won the game with a total of 193 points; Paul second with 188 points; Bryan finished last, but with a very respectable 183 points.

Wait a minute. This is considered "not particularly high?" Are you sure you're playing by all the right rules?

Sorry, what I mean is that they are not particularly high when compared to some of our 2 player game scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If no one tries to drill down one stack, a 3P game can end with all three players over 200.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.