Subject: Objectives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mercy Killer
Turkey
flag msg tools
mb
Hello guys,

Recently bought CCacific and it looks very promising. Not very much a wargamer (altough I enjoy eastfront and Hammer of the scots from columbia games very much) I tought this could be something I may like. Havent played a game yet but planning one for monday.

I have read the RuleBook and one thing is very confusing to me. I didnt understant anything about objectives cry. Rest seems ok. I know its something too much to ask for but can u guys clarify objectives for me?

How do they take place in map? How are they scored?

thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Each map has five objective hexes. (Some may be buildings in which case the whole building is the objective).

A scenario will specify who controls which objectives and what sort of objective chits will be drawn (open or closed for either or both players).

The objective chits tell you how much a particular objective is worth. It might be worth 10 points. It might be worth 3 points. It might be worth nothing if there is no chit drawn. (Some objective chits will do other things such as double the points you get when killing an enemy unit).

So, the scenario will tell you what chits to draw (open or not or specific open ones, random or not for each player).

When the game ends by sudden death, hidden objectives are revealed and points awarded to whomever controls that objective.

Essentially, objectives allow the scenario to give an attacker or defender some ground to hold or else demonstrate that something is important and worth fighting for.

Does that answer your questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, will do my best.

In the scenario games:

The historical setup describes what you do in each scenario. Most of the time you will have some predetermined open objective, and each player also has one random secret objective. The open objective is placed in the "open" section and each player draws, looks at, and places face down in their section a "secret" objective.

So most of the time it looks like this:

Axis secret objective (face down, only axis player knows what it is)

Open Objective (both players can see it)

Allied secret objective (face down, only allied player knows what it is)

Some of the objectives are open on both sides. If you pull this as your random secret objective, it must be open (there is no secret side). Too bad!

I think if you read through the historical setup in the playbook that will help clarify it for you. The rulebook doesn't go into the objective setup too much IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercy Killer
Turkey
flag msg tools
mb
Thx guys, some more fiddling with rulebook it'll be ok I guess.

edit:

Can u help me setup scenerio A with objectives? This may help me understand the setup process.

It says Objective Chits:

Open - R
Japan - Random
Allies - Random

So only R is pre-determined (awards 10 VP for objective 5 hex right?), do I have to randomly select rest 4? 2 for japan and 2 for allies? Or just 1 for both leaving some objectives worth zero points?

Objective control: Japan all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mercykiller wrote:

Open - R
Japan - Random
Allies - Random

From HS3.5 in the Playbook (Page 10) (my emphasis): if the Random row lists "Allies" and/or "Japan", the player commanding that side draws a random chit from the cup, looks at it, then places it "secret" side up in his section of the Objective box....

So, in the situation above, Japan draws one (1) objective and the Allies draws one (1) objective. As a result, some objectives may start the game worth zero VPs.

As it possible that objective chits might be drawn during the game (E67, E76) it is important to track who controls all the objectives. Therefore, control markers are added to ALL the objectives regardless of VP value. Besides, even if an objective doesn't have a value to you - it might have a secret value from your opponents objective chit. And that covers the last line above - the Japanese start this scenario in control of all (possible) objectives, but some might be worth 0 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercy Killer
Turkey
flag msg tools
mb
RPardoe wrote:
mercykiller wrote:

Open - R
Japan - Random
Allies - Random

From HS3.5 in the Playbook (Page 10) (my emphasis): if the Random row lists "Allies" and/or "Japan", the player commanding that side draws a random chit from the cup, looks at it, then places it "secret" side up in his section of the Objective box....

So, in the situation above, Japan draws one (1) objective and the Allies draws one (1) objective. As a result, some objectives may start the game worth zero VPs.

As it possible that objective chits might be drawn during the game (E67, E76) it is important to track who controls all the objectives. Therefore, control markers are added to ALL the objectives regardless of VP value. Besides, even if an objective doesn't have a value to you - it might have a secret value from your opponents objective chit. And that covers the last line above - the Japanese start this scenario in control of all (possible) objectives, but some might be worth 0 points.

Thx Richard, now everything fits in place. Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.