Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone help with suggestions of good games with city building as a theme?

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Look no further then #1, Puerto Rico. BGG classifies it as a City Building theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Pillars of the Earth & World Without End

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hines
United States
Perry
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that popped into my head was Carcassonne and it's millions of expansions.

In Caylus you are building the town and the different sections of the castle as the game progresses.

Blue Moon City is a game where you are collecting combinations of cards to rebuild a city based on the blueprints that make up the game board.

Or course there are other games such as Catan, Oregon and Carson City where you are adding features to a map as the game progresses.

Were these the droids you were looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
La Città!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
The game you are probably looking for is Urban Sprawl. Which is not quite there yet (it got beaten by Dominant Species in a vote for the first of the Euros that GMT were going to publish). Given that I preferred dominant species, I was happy with that, but urban sprawl looked interesting too, and it may well still appear. The more folks that sign up to it on the GMT P500 programme, the more likely that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
Vis Comica
badge
Watch a man at play for an hour and you can learn more about him than in talking to him for a year. - Plato
mbmbmbmbmb
The game Big City or Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity

Catan Card Game

Arkadia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would help if you clarified if you meant games in which you can build cities (As part of some greater goal, usually) or games in which you are building a single city (Either one per player or one period). I'm pretty sure you mean the latter (And unfortunately I'm ill equipped to help in that department) but the responses so far seem to fall into both camps, which may or may not be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Milner
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Citadels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Medina (Though it's a fairly limited 'city' that you're building, mostly consisting of palaces. Then again, lots of wooden pieces, so more of the feeling that you're actually building it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all who have offered suggestions so far. I am just starting to go through them all. I really like the idea of building a city building by building with some type of method for judging who has built the best and/or the most interesting and/or most complete, etc. I would prefer that the building of the city be the main focus of the game and not just a means to some other end. I hope this makes it clearer for those who might offer a suggestion in the future. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R3sp4wN wrote:
The first thing that popped into my head was Carcassonne and it's millions of expansions.

In Caylus you are building the town and the different sections of the castle as the game progresses.

Blue Moon City is a game where you are collecting combinations of cards to rebuild a city based on the blueprints that make up the game board.

Or course there are other games such as Catan, Oregon and Carson City where you are adding features to a map as the game progresses.

Were these the droids you were looking for?

How about Carcassonne: The City. I have the base Carcassonne game and really like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can keep an eye on Forged in Steel...but it doesn't have a publisher thus far...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give Infinite City a shot and see if that is what you are looking for. Played it at Origins and loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.