Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Why people refuse to sell things overseas on Ebay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I really do not understand this.

If you just allow e.g. US continental bidder, then the final price will definitely lower bag than if you allow global bidder.bagbagbagbag This is always true. Basic demand and supply concept.

And buyers have to pay actual shipment, so why not? Even the bidder is living on the Moon robotor Mars ninjaor where ever sauron, they pay.

But why people still doing this? You can see thousands of example everyday.

If the bid really turn bad, are they going to drive, let's say from New York city all the way to LA California and r{Kill the bidder?shakeshakeshakebag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Speaking as a very occasional eBay seller -- the only negative experiences I've ever had with buyers were through international deals. In some cases, there are difficulties with currency exchange. In another instance, I had a buyer back out of a completed auction because International shipping was too much for his liking (even though ten seconds at the USPS site would have told him *exactly* what the price was). In another instance, the buyer insisted on a bizarre form of international media-mail, usually reserved for bulk commercial purposes, and then her payment ended up bouncing because PayPal wouldn't recognize her overseas bank.
It's simply too much risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a US seller, I don't understand people not accepting international orders myself...I have dealt extensively on ebay, and by allowing international buyers I regularly have had higher closing costs than auctions for similar items at similar times.

The thing is that with the pervasive availability of Paypal, there is zero reason to not accept international business. Sure, you have to fill out a customs form, but that takes a few minutes at the most, and the extra money is well worth it IMO.

Actually, more than anything, I find myself frustrated by German ebay. It seems in Germany wire transfers are much easier to do than they are here in the States, and as such, many Germans either don't accept international orders period (bad idea given the potential gold mine they're sitting on in hard to find games) or they don't have Paypal accounts, and hence, have no easy way of accepting international payments.

I don't mean to sound like a Paypal booster here, because they really are cold-hearted arrrh with their user fees, but the convenience, particularly when one is talking about international orders, is well worth it. I think any online seller who doesn't accept it as a matter of course is insane in that they're reducing their potential buyers by at least 1/2, if not more at this point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had a pleasant experience with foreign dealings through eBay (out of 6).

Items never ship, nasty emails, bounced checks...

No thank you.

Now, I've had several good dealings through rec.games.board.marketplace as well as here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NT. Hong Kong
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Paypal is Fine
Though the cost is rather high.
But I tried the other one called "MoneyBider" or something, which is even worse.

Conclusion: still insane to not allow global bidder.

p.s. have you heard anything about the old-owner drive to the new-owner just to visit his old little buddies.
I feels like a good Stephen Kings novel to me.zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
International stuff
Primarily because it's just a giant hassle. If I sell a game to a US buyer, I can:

1) Get free boxes from the post office to ship them in.
2) Get things like delivery confirmation and insurance if the buyer wants them.
3) Not have to deal with the buyer asking me to lie on the customs form.
4) Etc.

Two examples:

I currently have a buyer who is getting pretty pissed off at me. He is in Brazil. He bought a game from me. He wanted to be able to track the package. The US Postal sErvice doesn't provide that ability, and the buyer certainly didn't want to pay the huge cost of having it shipped internationally via UPS or someone like that who does generally provide tracking information. So a couple of days ago I got an email from him saying: "I still haven't received the game". Well this has been probably around two months since I mailed it. And what can I do about it? Nothing. All I can do is tell him to wait. I'm certainly not going to refund his money, as I know I addressed it properly and mailed it. Still, if his game never makes it past whatever potentially byzantine/corrupt/inefficient customs/postal service they might have, I now have an unhappy buyer. That's bad for my business as a whole.

The other example is someone who wanted to buy a game, and wanted me to basically lie on the custom form. Well, screw that.

I DO ship internationally. I hate doing it though. I'm always excited when I see a BoardgameGeek Marketplace Order email in my inbox, and then sag as if I've taken a bullet when I see it's from an international buyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, I understand both sides of the coin.

I'm in Australia and I buy and sell internationally. No problems. I state my auction terms clearly and if international buyers can't handle that, they don't bid. I think that stating auction terms clearly is important to avoid confusion.

Having said that, alot of US sellers are happy selling within the country simply because the market there is HUGE! For most items, I'd say that there will be a local US buyer who will pay the same amount as an international buyer. For the seller, this makes things easier for shipping, etc.

As an international buyer though, I've had no problems buying from the US or anywhere else. I make sure that the seller has good feedback and usually politely ask if they are willing to ship to Australia and get the costs before bidding.

Anwyay, if there's one thing about ebay, the item ALWAYS appears online. No matter how rare. Bide your time and you'll get what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
International is a-okay!
I agree with Caroline. I sell between 30-50 items per month overseas. The most aggresive buyers are Canadians, Aussies and Germans. It's not really a hassle if you charge an extra buck or two for the legwork.

PayPal won't let you print postage so you must hand address, fill out customs forms and go into the post office and stand in line.

For that service I charge $1-3 dollars more per item. If the buyer won't use PayPal or BidPay I cancel the deal, get a refund of the fee and relist. I like non-USA buyers. They are friendly and many have become repeat customers, buying 10-20 items a year from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually allow international purchases, but there are usually more snags along the way. And there's always the prospect of being ripped off, in which case PayPal offers no Seller Protection outside of USA, Canada, and Great Britain. This fact is fairly not well-known and even deceptively covered up (in my opinion) in at least one spot on PayPal.

Barely on topic, but I need to vent: So far, the only thing larger than a few bucks that I've lost on eBay was from a seller named "Joachim Bargsten" in Germany. It was a $45ish Inkognito game. After waiting a few weeks he told me he was out of town due to a father with a cardiac infarction and would mail immediately. I checked his eBay sales and there were many in the past weeks that he had posted and completed, but I said nothing and waited patiently a few more weeks. Later, when I complained it hadn't arrived, he asked that I please wait a few more days and if I didn't get it, he would remail the game (even sending a pic of a stack of copies to reassure me). So I responded that I still hadn't gotten it after that day had arrived. He said he would send again. A few more weeks passed and I complained again, and since then he's just ignored my emails. We both have fairly high Feedbacks with no negatives, but I would definitely have "traded" negs with him if the deadline to do so had not passed. His excuses and the apparent deception I found made me think he had used the Feedback deadline to pull one over on me.

I finally ordered the game from another German seller on eBay and all went great (from Mario Pawlowski) and all went well. I still miss my money sent to Joachim Bargsten though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joachim Bargsten
Strange, but I had some dealings with him in the first few months of last year. I actually bought games from him twice. The first time was through ebay. He had several hard to find German games for really good prices. I bought several of them. He shipped them over. They were well packed, but it looked as though someone had taken an axe and a sledgehammer to the box. Fortunately, only a couple of boxes were dinged and he included a free game cool (I learned how annoying filing and international insurance claim can be, but that is another story.} He also included a note that he would be selling some more games in a few weeks. Great!

I began corresponding with him via email, so I would know when his next batch of games was posted. He had a few things I was interested in for sale. However, he had a lot more stuff not for auction that I was more interested in. We began negotiating a second purchase of about a dozen games (one of which was Inkognito). Even with shipping, it was a great deal. Again, the games were well-packed. However this time, the box was delivered in the rain (good old USPS). It was soaked. Fortunately, due to the excellent packing, there was no serious damage -- at least once some of the games dried out. Once again, he included a free game, Mississippi -- I guess since I am from Mississippi and had shown an interest.

Interestingly, this second shipment was a little delayed. Even more interesting given the previous post was the reason he gave -- his father had a heart attack. The games did take a long time to arrive, but they were shipped when he said they were. Since the first set had arrived in four weeks, I began to get a little worried when it took eight weeks to arrive. He kept asking me to wait, and sure enough, they showed up. Sadly, once I emailed him that the games had arrived, he no longer responded to any emails, including the one acknoledging receipt.

I say sadly because I had begun to think of him as a friend. I still have his auctions flagged on ebay (though it has been a while since he had one), but I'm not sure I would bid on any. I have wanted to, but when I've emailed him about the games, he has never responded. I guess I just wanted to point out that whatever the real reason that he stopped answering the person above, he also ceased responding to those whom he had no reason to avoid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Appelcline
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Late last year I sold a couple of hundred dollars worth of Magic cards through eBay. 3 out of 4 of those sales went to Europe, and thus I'm sure I received much better prices thanks to allowing International bids.

This months I sold a couple of roleplaying books, and this time 3 out of 3 of those sales went to Europe. I haven't finished them up yet, but I have every faith they're going to go through fine because I've talked with the winners and they all seem entirely upright.

It's a little extra hassle, but as I told my wife this weekend, "Don't ever let me sell US-only again." I wouldn't be surprised if I got double the value of the books (e.g., a few hundred dollars between the two sets of sales) by allowing European bidders, thanks to a combination of more competition and the strong Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I don't mean to sound like a Paypal booster here, because they really are cold-hearted arrrh with their user fees

And I've always found McDonalds to be cold-hearted with their hamburger fees.

It's just not on for businesses to expect to make money out of their investment is it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Interestingly, this second shipment was a little delayed. Even more interesting given the previous post was the reason he gave -- his father had a heart attack.

Well that whole reply WAS interesting. I guess the guy tries to be honest (considering his Feedback), but gets lazy. I tried to give him a break on the old "family illness" excuse, but it seems the cliche is working for him. Now I just email him every now and them to please send my game (now my money since I bought the game elsewhere). Maybe he'll have a change of heart someday and make it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I THINK what he meant is that they (like eBay) are using their de facto monopoly to overprice their services.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't mean to sound like a Paypal booster here, because they really are cold-hearted arrrh with their user fees

And I've always found McDonalds to be cold-hearted with their hamburger fees.

It's just not on for businesses to expect to make money out of their investment is it!

ps Apologies for mentioning the word "Monopoly" on this site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
No big deal, just be careful
International sales are potential nightmares, primarily because PayPal can't confirm international addresses and USPS doesn't offer an inexpensive tracking method.
I've had international buyers ask me to send games to U.S. addresses, which increases the risk of fraud. I've also had more international buyers who don't read the instructions and bid on stuff even though I specifically say I don't ship to their country.
Then again, I've had some smooth transactions to Japan, Canada and Austria recently. I've had two Japanese buyers who paid almost immediately-faster than most American buyers.
My new policy is going to be to require insurance on international purchases. It's only a couple bucks, which is well worth it. No one's ever asked me to lie on a customs form, and I wouldn't do it anyway.
I'm sure PayPal loves international transactions. Substantially higher shipping costs mean substantially higher fees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Keller
United States
SmorgyLand
Maryland
flag msg tools
It's a hassle ...
Although I offer International sales & shipping on eBay,
it IS a hassle ... for many of the reasons stated:

(A) Extra time - In boxing the item up, filling out the
Customs form & an extra trip to the Post Office.

(B) Extra money - Buying a box (free in the U.S.)

(C) Complaints - Mostly about how long it takes to be
delivered ... this despite extensive explanation
of delivery times for Economy Mail on any eBay listing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience for every three of you Americans who does not post outside of the USA there's one other American making more money than you meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treacherous Cretin
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
idiots
As a very frequent Ebayer I am sorry to say MY experiences are getting close to shutting off Europe and America.

Europeans...missing post and a few rude/impatient peoplegulp
Americans...50/50 excellent buyers and sellerskiss OR complete goons who cannot read SIMPLE instructions angry
Canadians...so far the best overseas dealings
The home ( UK ) market is not immune to the above but so few problems in relation to numbers of successes.

WHY ??? Its all there in the adverts, personally I won't bid on items that have no postage/costs information. I like to know the costs before bidding, if its gonna cost me a fortune to ship...fine....let me know in the advert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the last few months I've been thinning out my games collection by selling on E-Bay. I even made a Geeklist about it:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

Anyhow, a lot of the games I sold went to international bidders, and I had nothing but good experiences with them. In particular, there was a lot of international interest in the Heroquest expansion, and I am positive I never would have made as much money as I did if I hadn't allowed international bidding. That said, there are sometimes delays, and other hassals that have to be put up with. Overall though, I think it's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamburg
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of inexperienced eBay sellers don't allow international bidders because it seems too complicated. I think some more experienced sellers don't because of the hassle or bad past experience.

I had a collection of RPG stuff and some board games from the 80s and early 90s that I sold on eBay. I almost didn't allow international bidders because I was new. Boy am I glad I did, I'm sure that I got at least 1/3 more by allowing stuff to go overseas. Almost all of it sold to buyers in the UK, Canada, and Japan, some of it for really great prices.

What I do wish, though, is that eBay offered the ability to charge different handling fees to US and international buyers on the same auction. For US buyers, I get free boxes when I ship Priority Mail, and no hassle with customs forms. I have to buy boxes for international buyers, and spend a lot more time dealing with it. I'd feel happier when an international buyer wins by $.50 if I got a few extra dollars for my hassle. Of course, you can make international buyers e-mail you for the costs, but this is a pain and may discourage bids.

This aside, I've had GREAT experiences with international buyers, better overall than I have with US buyers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sold to Canada, Brazil, Sweden, Luxumberg (?), England, Germany, France, and Australia. The gentleman from England payed $87 for Awful Green Things from Outer Space and paid $95 shipping because he wanted it next day!!! Said he had been waiting 5 years & would wait no longer. The price went so high because he was fighting a bidder in Spain.

The only time I have been screwed (I think) was by a buyer who waited 15 weeks to tell me that he never received the package. I had tossed my shipping receipt sonce shipment was supposed to take 4-6 weeks. I ended up refunding his $$ (Mainly because I only paid $1 for the game) but I think he received the game and was hacked off that it wasn't an original, but a reprint. The reprint status was clearly in the auction title and in the description at least twice.

As far as shipping overseas costing me extra, I consider boxes, tape, & trips to the post office part of my overhead. Sure the overhead is higher on international shipping, but the payments are higher too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I finally started saying that I would ship worldwide about a year ago, since I was getting so many questions from bidders out of the country anyway. The sales I made went up, but so did the hassle. I STILL get e-mails from people who ask me, "Will you ship to Country X?", when if I look at my auction, it clearly states at the bottom, "Will ship worldwide."

Like someone else mentioned above, I've been burned once or twice with overseas auctions because the shipping turned out to be higher than the winner expected. It gets old. I almost decided to go back to US-only shipping, but it limits the number of people potentially interested in your auction.

I know that eBay gives you the option to include a ZIP-code shipping calculator on your site -- does it also give you the option to use an international calculator, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I know that eBay gives you the option to include a ZIP-code shipping calculator on your site -- does it also give you the option to use an international calculator, too?

Yes I have some auctions using it now (seller ID "Phosrik"). I still ship internationally but I cringe everytime I get one. 90% of buyers that bail out on my auctions are international. They either decide they don't want to pay for the enormous shipping charge or don't bother to read my shipping terms (I don't take Paypal from them. Ebay hits me with enough fees so I don't want credit cards sucking anymore of my profit.) I have considered just dumping international all together and if I have one more bad experience in this round of selling I will do just that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's the shipping time. Ebay has a 30 day ability to leave negative feedback, after that it's impossible to really do anything to a foreign buyer or seller through ebay. When you're dealing with long shipping times, it becomes impossible to give a person reasonable time to ship an item or recieve and item before that 30 day negative feedback cut off. Also if you put anything more than 10$ on the custom form for value, it's going to get stolen in most countries in the third world. Canadians and Mexicans I don't count as foreign and have never had a problem. Across the ponds, I guess I trust people from certain countries that I won't mention but there is one that I have had only problems with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I've sold stuff on eBay for years, and I do sell to overseas buyers. More and more often my sales are going overseas, especially Spain & Italy where I gather folks have a tough time finding English version of German games.

Personally, if you have a bunch of games to sell and you're not in a big hurry, consider BGG marketplace. The fees are less then eBay (ie no posting costs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.