Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Montage Rules and Board Setups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Greetings,

Just wanted to notify the BGG community that the rules to Montage, a brilliant, long out-of-print game, have been uploaded to the Geek. Several people have been asking for these rules for quite some time. Thanks to the help of Chris Lohroff, Mike Herms, and Rob Derrick, the rules to this fine game can now be presented.

Last April, Dave Arnott and Anthony Rubbo introduced me to Montage, a 30+ year old wordgame that swept me off my feet. I mean, I fell in love with this game as they were *explaining the rules*. As a (now ex) English teacher, I find it rather odd that I'm not a big lover of word games in general. They're typically not my cup of tea.

Montage is different.

Montage is not merely for those who know alot of words. Montage is for people who have a way with words. Like another favorite of mine, Balderdash, it rewards creativity and quick thinking.

I converted my Deluxe Scrabble into a Deluxe Montage set using the extra tiles from the old Scrabble sets. You can see a photo of my board on the Montage page. Do you want to know the best part? Even though I had to cannibalize my deluxe set, I can still convert back whenever I want. Popping the plastic frame off is a snap. Once that's done, you simply flip the printed board over to the blank side and replace the frame.

I used the dark maroon deluxe tiles to use as the pips (just flip 'em over to their blank sides). The two old Scrabble tiles allowed me to make 200 letter/color tiles. Instead of painting, I just printed out stickers using labels. I think it came out very nice. And if I ever want to play Scrabble, all of my original deluxe tiles are undamaged -- I can just pop the frame and flip the board
back over.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Riddle me this, MontageMan
I looked at the two images on the geek

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/52344
and
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/19798
and I notice that the commercial board has a pattern of reversed circles, and the 5x5 blocks sectioned off, but that your homemade game does not.

Do those things affect gameplay or scoring at all?

This game sounds a little, well, odd. But in an intruiging sort of way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oy!
Well, it is largely answered in the PDF in question. D'oh!

So, why doesn't your board have those features, or are they just hard to see in that image?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Montage Board
Excellent Question.

My board does have those sections divided off -- now.

I overlooked that step initially. I added thick black lines to divide the sections after I took the photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
We're gonna need a montage (montage)
Oh it takes a montage (montage)

Show a lot of things happing at once,
Remind everyone of what’s going on (what’s going on?)
And with every shot you show a little improvement
To show it all would take to long
That’s called a montage (montage)
Oh we want montage (montage)

And anything that we want to go from just a beginner to a pro,
You need a montage (montage)
Even Rocky had a montage (montage)

-----

But I think you're talking about something entirely different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.