Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
49 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Journal Posting and Guidelines rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, the journals are pretty free form eh? That's my fault for being so laid back about it. They've only recently become visible on the front page, and have gotten pretty out of hand.

There are facilities on BGG to trade and sell games that should be used for these activities, and the journals should only be used for extended disussion. I made those systems to be used, and if they aren't working for you please let me know (via GeekBugz - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekbugz.php) and I can enhance them.

Solution
I will be converting over the journal system into a message forum system. We'll be having moderators that can move and delete messages as they see fit. Each board will have a topic and if messages don't adhere to that section they will moved or deleted as necessary. I'm sure we'll come up with a list of guidelines that can accomodate everyone.

If you have suggestions on implementation details, or features needed feel free to post them here or better yet, post them in GeekBugz under the Journals section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
More memory
One immediate and vital enhancement you can make, Aldie - the truly excellent trade finder doesn't have enough memory at present. If I try to use it, I get:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 4271636 bytes) in /var/www/public_html/output_main.inc on line 283

Thanks for all the good work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, You must have a lot of potential trades! I will make the results of the trade finder paginated which should fix that problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the forum has a topic for game trades, it would be perfect.

The current trading system is very limited in it's ability to actually secure a trading partner, but is very usefull to find possible trades and to complete the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good idea to add the moderated forum section. However, The free-form journals are also nice: what if your topic doesn't "fit" any of the moderated locations.

Perhaps leave the journal feature intact, add your new proposal and take the journals off the front page?

I kinda like them the way they are and don't think they are out of hand.

Foob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks Aldie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moderators?!
Please tell me that your joking about the moderators, Aldie. One of the nice features of this place is that it works without moderators. Are free form journals really that bad? I'm not sure I see the problem, though it would be nice if trades and such could be handled in their own sections. Maybe make those areas more prominent and visible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything in moderation....
....including moderation!

May I suggest that one/some forums be unmoderated? And maybe even restrict access to those forums via some simple parental control thing? The people that want to rant and/or read rants can go there, and people who want to read cleansed messages can stay away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Please tell me that your joking about the moderators, Aldie. One of the nice features of this place is that it works without moderators. Are free form journals really that bad? I'm not sure I see the problem, though it would be nice if trades and such could be handled in their own sections. Maybe make those areas more prominent and visible?

We've had moderators all along. We will just be adding it to a new section of the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
....including moderation!

May I suggest that one/some forums be unmoderated? And maybe even restrict access to those forums via some simple parental control thing? The people that want to rant and/or read rants can go there, and people who want to read cleansed messages can stay away.

Of course. Every forum has an OT section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sections
This seems like the perfect opportunity to consider some of the proposed trading mechanisms utilized over the past few weeks: open ended trading and chain trading in particular. I believe that if there was a dedicated section for this type of activity, nobody would complain about "this shouldn't be here."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the "Find Trades" feature, the first table has:

User
You Want
They Want
Action

The "condition" does not appear - I have to click "propose trade" or dig through their profile.

The second table has:

Game you Want
Notes (this is the 'condition')
Username
Actions

It would be nice if the condition notes were displayed in the first table, as they are in the second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the forum for more detailed descussions, but I still like the use of the journals for just your personal thoughts (after all isn't that what a journal is). The few journal entries I have written were most just my little thoughts about something game related in my life and I wouldn't want to put them in a forum message but I do like to have a place to put those little thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for a chain-trading feature
Quote:
perfect opportunity to consider some of the proposed trading mechanisms utilized over the past few weeks: open ended trading and chain trading in particular

Seconded!, Bravo!, Huzaa!, Here here! etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You
Thank you, thank you , THANK YOU.

While I'm all for some leeway around here, for those that want to vent or whatever, it has become impossible for me to wade through it all to find discussions that interest me. Having it all organized under appropriate topics will help immensely. It sure sounds like a lot of work for you guys, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I like the "dash of everything" flavour of the journals as they currently exist the idea of formal forums finally being opened is definitely a good one, especially since that's what most people have been using the journals for anyway.

I think it's interesting to see the evolution of the Geek, just a couple of years ago the site was small enough to support Geeklists as the only real method of random discussion. Then the Journals became that forum, and now we're finally to the point where full scale message board style implementation is necessary. A positive sign for the site without question!

The one question I do have, though it doesn't directly impact me, is whether or not the intent of the forums is to also take the place of some of the creative trade mechanisms that people have come up with via the Geeklists. Similar to the journals, the lists have always been a random mish-mash of serious, light-hearted, and everything-in-between. I for one, enjoy that, but I would like to know if that function is going to be maintained, or if you guys are going to encourage people to use the lists in more "traditional" ways and leave trading to the trade fuction and upcoming forum.

I mainly ask simply out of a desire for people to be told explicitly where the Geek admins stand on this so that some of the drama that's been unfolding in the recent weeks can cease. Being able to politely point to the guidelines for a newbie user who uses a given function for the wrong thing (or conversely, pointing to the guidelines and telling a longer term user that they have no business berating someone for using the lists in a "non-traditional" manner) would be a welcome thing IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goadrich
United States
Conway
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will our current journal entries still be accessible, or will we need to copy and save them elsewhere if we want what we've written up to now?

Thanks for all the work on the site,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Agree
Quote:

Perhaps leave the journal feature intact, add your new proposal and take the journals off the front page?

I agree with Pierce, I do not want to see journals eliminated but maybe leave them in the background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the journals should only be used for extended disussion.
Solution
I will be converting over the journal system into a message forum system.

That's not really a solution. Journals are journals, not forums. They should be used as journals to record your thoughts a ideas. I'd hate to lose the "real" journals like Scrib's & Tripp's (and others - you know who you are/were)in favor of a message forum.

Create a forum if you like, but please don't rob us of the personal content that the journals provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
They won't be eliminated, but they probably won't be on the front page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Kleissler
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about keeping the journals.

And I wanted to add that I have been so impressed by the responsiveness of Aldie and Derk to the site's needs. Very impressive. And although I know I have not donated, I know that I need to and will. I feel real bad about it as I use this site, um, way too much. Once my financial circumstances I will join the supporter crew. I really appreciate that this service has been provided for free but think it deserves something in return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Aldie.

As for suggestions I think the trick is to remember that journals came about to bring the freeform community topics away from the articles and reviews that were beginning to get clutterd up. The balancing act with moderation will be avoid so much moderation as to drive the off topic content back into the review and article areas (which are less moderated)

Which brings up an intersting point. Will reviews and articles have a place in the message board or will moderators move that content to have it becoem reviews under the game? Will announcements about reviews and articles have a place? Anyone want to make a stab at breaking down what we have today into message board categories?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points...

I think that any game related posts should be under the game. And if a message gets posted into a forum that is related to a specific game, it can be tagged to also show up under the game page as well in the articles section.

Other Forum Sections I was thinking of:

- General Discussion
- Game Group Announcements
- Looking for Recommendations
- Game parts
- Off Topic

I'm open to other suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one that comes up a lot is:

"What is this game?"

and a section for fun stuff where people set up games and such like PBEM and contests...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
soblueSay it ain't sosoblue None of it matters, absolutely none of it. I am not against change, I am just saddened so see all this come to a head over Lists and Journals. I feel guilty for even having contributed. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.