Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: 42 in 2005: Game #11 - Vinci rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The eleventh game to come off the list was Vinci, which I played this last Friday. It was a five-player game, and ended up lasting about three hours. See, one of us hadn't played before (maybe two -- I'm not sure about Alice), and the group tends to be a slow one, anyway. Anyway, for the particulars, check out the session report I submitted:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/83325

As I mentioned, it ended up being pretty long, but quite interesting. My initial civ, currency + medicine, looked pretty iffy right off the bat (only 6 units coming on?), but the medicine allowed it to continue growing, and the currency allowed it to really score as it grew. We had a couple of other small civs come out (Mining + Specialization, Agriculture + Currency) which didn't fare nearly as well. Conclusion: Medicine is a wonderful civ ability, especially with a yellow tile.

The other interesting point to note was that the winner only ever had two civs. His initial, port building + fortifications, was allowed to quietly grow unchecked on the Mediterranean, and the forts bonus as base of attack let him grow longer than he would have been able to otherwise. As a result, he could wait for a really good civ (Mountaineering + Astronomy, as it turns out) before declining his first one. Note to self: point the radar lower!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.