Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we are rating geeklists and blocking anything under 10 ratings at 5.0 into obscurity, the next plan of action is to do away with the current format for free form journals. I was sad to hear this at first, but you can't stop progress, and it may well turn out to be a good thing in the end. Aldie and Derk have done all right so far. Anyway, I thought I better use my journal while I can, so here's a thought I had the other day.

I noticed that people who game together develop various norms about how to play their games. For example, I once played Axis and Allies with a guy whose group put flag markers on all their territories, not just the ones that they've conquered. I've also noticed that some people play ZERTZ with the flat side of the hexagon board facing them, whereas I believe the more correct usage is to have the pointy side facing the players.

These are trivial points, but often the norms and habits people develop involve house rules or even basic rule interpretation. After gaming with some new people recently, I found to my embarrassment that the way I had been scoring farmers in Carcassonne was incorrect. Even worse, last weekend I realized that I had been playing Tigris & Euphrates wrong, under the assumption that a kingdom had to have adjacent tiles, not some mix of adjacent tiles and leaders. So it's clearly useful to play in a variety of groups to make sure you are playing by the actual rules.

Any other examples of this phenomenon? I think the most extreme example of rule interpretation varying by group was back in the good old days of Dungeons and Dragons. When that game first came out, everybody seemed to play it differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition
to rules recognition and bizzarro habits, there's also the issue of groupthink. You may kick butt in a certain game that you play over and over with the same group of people, but play with a different group may result in very different results. Puerto Rico on BSW would be an example of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: On the importance of gaming with different people, and other topics
Well, I just got done looking at all the different rule versions for scoring farmers in Carcassonne. What a mess... Now I'm thinking of docking the game a rating point because of how convoluted this is. Anyway, I appear to have been using the German 3rd edition form of the rules, except scoring 4 points not 3. Is there any kind of consensus on this issue, or does everyone play it differently?

redtrain Hey we have Ticket to Ride emotes now! When did that happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.