United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently received a GM that goes:

Quote:
Hi!

As (*some game*) is on your (* some *) list I want to let you know you can win a free copy here.

"here" directed me to the Games for Geekgold geeklist.

I would like to opt out of receiving such messages because:

a. any X for Y exchange is not *free*.
b. I think it's great for people to have the freedom to participate in a lottery but it is not for me.
c. I know TANSTAAFL but every time I read a message like this, a little hope flickers in me and then dies when i read the message shake sad, but true.

Any chance I could opt out when someone sends messages to all-who-meet-a-particular-criterion?

I have done my best to remove specific references to an individual. I have no interest in calling out people publicly as the sender very likely did not mean (and definitely did not cause) any harm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps sending a message to the individual that sent the gm in question, and explaining they aren't the sort of thing you wish to receive in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten one of these in the past too and was a little annoyed. If I was interested in the Games for Geekgold lottery geeklist, I'd follow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who? Me?
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Perhaps sending a message to the individual that sent the gm in question, and explaining they aren't the sort of thing you wish to receive in the future.

That will likely not work.

For one person: who is sending a message to everyone who meets her criteria. I haven't tried doing this but I don't think it's easy to single out people who have contacted you in the past requesting not be messaged.

Worse, this doesn't stop other people who would send similar requests (admittedly on different criteria). I have over a hundred items on my wish/want/play lists...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the same email.

In the end, I'm okay with it, even though I have no interest in the geeklist.

It's like watching a TV show -- if you don't like it, change the channel; no need to write the network and demand they take it off the air.

It's not hard to hit "delete" and the message is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who? Me?
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:

It's like watching a TV show -- if you don't like it, change the channel; no need to write the network and demand they take it off the air.

It's not hard to hit "delete" and the message is gone.

It's easier to set it up once so I don't have to delete over and over again.

The analogy with the TV show is somewhat erroneous... I'm not switching to the channel here, the channel is coming to me. But to use that analogy, what i'm trying to do is setup a list of favorites so I don't accidentally end up on a channel I'm not interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh - I agree, and, if the option exists, I'd definitely take advantage of it, myself.

The thing is, I can't see an easy way to do that. They can't block being able to send messages to multiple recipients; that would be pretty awful; and there's no real way to ensure you don't get those messages.

So, since I realized, long ago, that the option doesn't exist, I just made my peace with deleting those types of messages (with no ill will). It's like when people used to offer me trades for games (none of which I have listed for trade) -- I would simply delete those; since they were unsolicited. No worries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just forward it to Octavian as an unsolicited bulk geekmail. He will investigate and take appropriate action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who? Me?
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Oh - I agree, and, if the option exists, I'd definitely take advantage of it, myself.

If the option is not available at all, I will follow your approach... cool

if that's the best option, that's what we shall do. I was not sure whether one could opt out and thought i'd check with the more knowledgeable geeks.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who? Me?
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Just forward it to Octavian as an unsolicited bulk geekmail. He will investigate and take appropriate action.

I considered that approach but it seemed a little harsh to me. I don't want to see some poor soul get in trouble with the admins (I'm sure no harm was meant by the sender)...

aah... i guess i just continue deleting emails
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurmuzz wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

I considered that approach but it seemed a little harsh to me. I don't want to see some poor soul get in trouble with the admins (I'm sure no harm was meant by the sender)...

aah... i guess i just continue deleting emails

Exactly how I feel - if the person *kept* sending emails, I'd take action; but one email - I just delete it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
kurmuzz wrote:
I recently received a GM that goes:

Quote:
Hi!

As (*some game*) is on your (* some *) list I want to let you know you can win a free copy here.

Please forward any such emails to me - this isn't the kind of thing we'd like to see increasing in frequency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Octavian will deal with anything regarding this specific situation if this become an widespread situation with the G4GG Loteries, please contact me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who? Me?
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for the interest in addressing this situation, admins... i'll contact you via GM..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.