Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I should let you guys know, that tonight you should watch one of his movies, drink a beer in his memory, and give respect to one of the most talented writer/directors of our time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
From Wikipedia:

"Satoshi Kon (今 敏, Kon Satoshi?, October 12, 1963 - August 23, 2010[3]) was a Japanese director of anime films. Kon started his career as a manga artist and editor in Young Magazine, and then made his screenwriting debut with "Magnetic Rose", a section of the anthology film Memories. Kon made his directorial debut film, Perfect Blue, in 1997, followed by Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika and the television series Paranoia Agent. A fifth film, The Dream Machine, is also in production.[4] All of his works as a director have been made by Studio Madhouse, where he was a staff director along with Rintaro and Yoshiaki Kawajiri. He was a founder and part of the 15-member steering committee of the Japan Animation Creators Association (JAniCA) labor group.[5]"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I never heard of him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Me either until I looked him up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue

I've seen Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers. Tokyo Godfathers is an amazing film. He had certain eccentricities that came out in his films. Very quirky and moving. Paprika has just moved up my Netflix queue.

Too young to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, he made a serious mark on the genre and will be remembered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rasmussen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Kisu~
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. This is really depressing. I consider him to be on the same level as Miyazaki. I almost never post on this site, but upon hearing this I have to come out and say that I deeply admire his works and that I will miss him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had not even heard that he was sick. I guess he wanted the cancer kept secret from the public until after he was gone.

He will definitely be missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a very early and very sad departure. Some of his movies are among the best of all time in my list (Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers, Paranoia Agent), they were all impressive, and rather unique. Satoshi left behind a big letter, which looks like rambling made during the course of his last days. There is a translating here, http://www.makikoitoh.com/journal/satoshi-kons-last-words. It is well worth the read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
rasattack wrote:
Wow. This is really depressing. I consider him to be on the same level as Miyazaki.

Same here. Satoshi was one of the three anime directors that I considered the best, together with Miyazaki and Isao Takahata (who work at Ghibli with Miyazaki, and directed Grave of Fireflies and Only Yesterday). He will be missed a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.