Jesse Mundis
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've watched the new BSG tv show, you'll get why this is amusing, even if you haven't played the board game.

Tom Zarach started out as President, with Lee Adama as Admiral. Lehoban (the creepy cylon with a thing for Kara) was the "Cylon Leader" working with the BSG crew, and I was Gaeta. This is a "hidden traitor" kind of game, with all the players nominally fighting against the game, but the traitor(s) secretly trying to make the others lose.

Zarach started the game with his "war on food" (apparently a common play by this player in BSG games regardless of if he is a cylon or not, he just likes to take most damage to the ship's food stores) but after two turns of behaving very Cylon-like, we threw him in the brig.

While there, the players of Lee Adama and Leohban politicted to have me (Gaeta) become president, in return for helping get Zarach out of the brig. He sort of agreed, and I became President Gaeta. My first presidential act (upon seeing the Quorum cards the previous president *hadn't* been pursuing) was to throw Zarach out an airlock for being a Cylon. I was right! Yeah humans, one frakkin toaster spaced! I then found the previous president's secret stash of Hohos and Dingdongs and increased the ship's dwindiling food supplies. The algae patties were renamed "Gaeta Burgers" in my honor. I then oversaw the first two 2-distance jumps.

Eventually, suspicion fell on an other player who also got thrown in the brig. That player "executive order"ed me to give me an other turn. At this point, the power-brokers who put me in the presidency called in their markers and asked me to toss that character out the airlock as well. As I suspected him of being a frakkin' toaster too, I was more than happy to use his action donation for his own execution. Success again! The humans identified both cylons early under my beneficient Presidency. Things were looking good until a random event almost took my life, and then an other random event took my presidency and made Lee both the Admiral and President. Through my tenure, our skies were clear and our ship damage minimal.

Alas, due to cylon treachery, in the end we did not prevail, but the Gaeta presidency was a fine, shining example of Colonial rule.

The humans lost, but I think that was the most _fun_ session of BSG I've had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, first where does Gaeta come from? You can't just throw him in the mix of a session report without explaining the character.

Second, it's Zarek nor Zarach and Leoben not Lehoban.

And Third, how were there two cylons and a leader in a 4 player game.
If you were using variant rules, you should start the report by explaining them or giving the readers a link to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamergeek wrote:
The humans identified both cylons early under my beneficient Presidency.

What type of Presidency? Oh the George W. Bush School of Presidency.

And people claim to not know how to get and I tell them the real money is in the session reports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Mundis
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair criticisms of my session report. Please allow me to address them point by point.

mathguy6189 wrote:
Ok, first where does Gaeta come from? You can't just throw him in the mix of a session report without explaining the character.

Sure I can. I just did. ;-) But seriously, I didn't include his origin because I was playing with someone else's set. They just explained the differences with the expansions we were playing, and just started. I didn't ask for the names of the expansions. I know we had "Pegasus" and "Cylon Leaders" and "hidden goals on loyalty cards" but from my POV, when it came my turn to pick a role, I just said "Oh, I've never played Gaeta before" and was told he was part of the new expansion. Good enough for me. The session report was more for the fun story, than meant to be a precise account of the game components used.

I figured readers might have played with him before, and his abilities didn't really effect the story, so I left them out. But as I recall his powers and weakness were:

---
Spend his Movement phase to give +1 to all die rolls this turn.
Once/game: discard 3 cards when a Cylon attack is drawn to bump the jump track forward by one.
Believes in Science: _must_ play at least 1 card into any challenge for which blue (engineering) is positive.
---

Quote:

Second, it's Zarek nor Zarach and Leoben not Lehoban.

Alas, BSG character names aren't part of my spell-checker. Thanks for the correction, but if you want to criticize typos of fictional, nonstandard character names, try not to have a typo in your own criticism. I believe you wanted "not" as opposed to "nor" above. ;-)

Quote:

And Third, how were there two cylons and a leader in a 4 player game.
If you were using variant rules, you should start the report by explaining them or giving the readers a link to them.

It was a five player game. I neglected to mention the fifth player (the second Cylon who 'executive order'ed me) explicitly as I couldn't recall his character name, and it wasn't relevant for the story. I figured the fifth player's presence was obvious when I said "suspicion fell on an other player who also got thrown in the brig." Me + Lee and Leoban + first airlocked Cylon (Zarek) = four plus "an other player" equals five. Sorry for the confusion.

As mentioned, if I had known which expansions were used by name, I would have supplied links, but I didn't. This report was more about the story than a precise reporting of the actions taken. My apologies if that wasn't the kind of report you were looking for, but there was a reason I titled it with "Embellished story form" and not "precise accounting."

Cheers!

And remember, "Eat Gaetaburgers! They are good for the environment, and OK for you!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, it was never meant to be personally insulting.

If Gaeta was an actual character sheet and there were new things in the game, then you have a bit of a scoop with a new expansion that hasn't even been announced publicly by FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Mundis
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense taken. Always hard to read non-verbal cues in posted messages.

The Gaeta sheet looked like the others, but might have been a home made print-out (I don't recall now). We didn't have a stand-up figure for him. So it might be an official pre-release beta test, or a home-brew addition. I had just assumed it was part of an existing expansion set. The set's owner hadn't mentioned anything explicitly one way or the other about the provenance of the expansion.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Mundis
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I *think* he pulled 2 blue, 2 purple, and 1 yellow. I don't think he was a Military leader, he just got voted in as president by calling an election.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.