Subject: Want a challenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Harris
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
Okay so my gaming group is going to give this game a try sunday and it is our first time playing descent. We've played doom - but always got frustrated with the lack of any balance whatsoever in the game. It was either a cakewalk or impossible.

So my question is...is Descent a challenge for the heroes and the overlord? Which quest would you suggest taking on as your first play through the game. Also how long does it take to finish one quest, on average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the first quest. I should take about 2-3 hours with experienced Doom players, probably less.

The Heroes will win, probably easily, but it will be fun for both sides.

Then do the second quest. It's much harder since the Heroes need to learn a certain tactic to defeat it. Once they do it gets much easier, but you will most certainly kill them until they learn the tactic.

The third quest is well balanced. The rest are mostly toss-ups as to who will win, but on the whole the game is much better balanced than Doom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just a quick note about difficulty: It varies quite a lot based on the particular quest you are on and the number of heroes you have.

There is a very good thread here which rates each quest by difficulty. Be warned it contains minor spoilers.

(The ratings are based on a squad of 3 heroes. The quests are a fair bit easier for 4 heroes and much much harder with only 2).

So once your group has a bit of experience you can easily vary the difficulty with a combination of which quest you choose and the number of heroes used.

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.