Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fling
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recieved in the mail today two expansions. The first was Scottish Wars by Days of wonder and the second was Horrific Horde by Fantasy Flight games. I am a fan of both FFG and DOW, i believe they both make great games. So why is it, that DOW is able to make an expansion with all the units attached to thier bases and the stickers on the flags already applied and FFG is not? I was also really disappointed that the Goblins in HH only came with banners for one side. It would have been nice to be able to play those new goblins on either side with call to arms. I love what days of wonder has done with BL so far. As far as I know FFG has only released Horrific Horde for BL and they did a very lazy job. Other FFG that I own didn't require assembly to play it, why does this one?

Come on FFG, don't make the Battlelore fans wish that Days of Wonder hadn't sold it to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This has been discussed before.

The cost of the units have gone up considerably since the time that DOW made them. FFG is not being lazy but trying to minimize costs so that the "standard" expansion is not priced out too far beyond what we had when DOW had them. So they don't sticker the flags and they aren't gluing bases now. I admit, though, that I would ratehr pay a bit more and have the figures glued.

This trend has also carried over into Battles of Westeros.

However, it is the 1st of 4 expansion for BL from FFG that required the gluing. Heroes, Creatures, and Dragons did not (though you did have to sticker them).

Because of the increased costs, this is why FFG is having a hard time reproducing the base game. If they were to duplicate what DOW did, the base game would cost double as much as it did back then.

As to the banners, I don't mind the one-sidedness. Goblins have always been associated with the Pennants. We are to the point that we have too many banners and not enough units ont eh board to use them all (if you have been keeping up with the expansions through the years). Just about everything in HH already has a corresponding Standard banner.

It is assumed that the next expansion will be for the Dwarves and contains exclusively Standard banners. We can hope that they mirror what was in the HH pacakge for those that haven't been collecting the line for years.

Despite all this, i am still glad FFG took the line over. If DOW had the line, you wouldn't have anything to compalin about... because they would still be trying to release Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Brian. I don't know what FFG is trying to do with the game but if BL was in DOW's hands, now we would be talking about that old 2007 game that slowly died while waiting for its big Heroes expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why some folks feel that a game is dying if it is not fed by constant expansions. Battlelore is very much a LIVE game for me, even though I am getting rid of my Goblin and Dwarf expansions. It rocks as a medieval game with occasional magic. The only expansion I would like to see is a siege one. They can keep the rest of their money grabs as far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
philmcd wrote:
I don't understand why some folks feel that a game is dying if it is not fed by constant expansions. Battlelore is very much a LIVE game for me, even though I am getting rid of my Goblin and Dwarf expansions. It rocks as a medieval game with occasional magic. The only expansion I would like to see is a siege one. They can keep the rest of their money grabs as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with you on most games. However, BL is an exception because it was billed as a game that would have constant and fresh suppliments out. Also, the base game was broken up into multiple expansions in order to flesh out the basic depth of its foundation. So by its very nature, we were told it was incomplete until all these expansions came out.

That was part of the problem with DOW having this title: they hyped up this huge system with promise of so much and then failed in the middle of it all to deliver most of it.

Had DOW simply published the base game and said no more, the attitude wouldn't be there that they owe us more. Epic would have been a pleasant surprise (though not much of a shocker since Overlord had been out). Call to Arms would have been a genuine surprise as none of the other C&C games have an army drafter in place.

FFG is doing the opposite - not telling us anything so making us appreciate everything we have while surprising us with every new offering.

Also, as a fantasy game (and I appreciate that there are some out there JUST wanting the human medieval version), many expect to see their favorite race in play: Elves, Undead, whatever. So the fact that this game has SO MUCH potential is part of the reason why it hurts itself in the perception that it is dead or dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would gladly pay a few more bucks to have the pieces glued. I don't mind placing banner decals, but the glue for the soft plastic is an issue for most people.

I've read all the threads about FFG and DoW... which company is Battlelore best with? I think the answer is FFG, but all they are currently putting out in the marketplace are certain expansions (Heroes, Creatures, Dragons and the HH).

If FFG really wanted to grow the Battlelore line, you need to release their version of the base game. Currently, the only way to get a copy is to get gouged on Ebay. This would have new gamers rethink buying into the line due to support.

Releasing additional expansions will only sell if the gamer has the base game and has an interest. Releasing the base game would cause more gamers to buy into the line... which would sell more expansions in the end... which would generate more cash for FFG. Seems like an easy sell to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:
I would gladly pay a few more bucks to have the pieces glued. I don't mind placing banner decals, but the glue for the soft plastic is an issue for most people.

I've read all the threads about FFG and DoW... which company is Battlelore best with? I think the answer is FFG, but all they are currently putting out in the marketplace are certain expansions (Heroes, Creatures, Dragons and the HH).

If FFG really wanted to grow the Battlelore line, you need to release their version of the base game. Currently, the only way to get a copy is to get gouged on Ebay. This would have new gamers rethink buying into the line due to support.

Releasing additional expansions will only sell if the gamer has the base game and has an interest. Releasing the base game would cause more gamers to buy into the line... which would sell more expansions in the end... which would generate more cash for FFG. Seems like an easy sell to me.

Their thinking is probably that most of those who were likely to buy it have already had the opportunity to do so, unlike when they launch a new game. It does make a difference in a niche market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mandingoman wrote:

I *think* FFG is trying to get to this point. It may be that we are seeing them dabble with alternate solutions with Horrific Horde. They gave us a couple new sculpts but then duplicated some of the base game goblin sculpts. It may be that they plan to release chunks of the goblin and dwarven armies through expansions so that those that don't have the base game can eventually get those pieces and those of us that have it can still get a bit of a boost with reserve base game armies.

They may try to trim the base game down to its barest minimum: cards, board, dice, and only enough human armies to support a couple of scenarios.

From what I also understand, they no longer have the original molds. (Which is most likely why the "remade" base game goblins in HH look like poor knockoffs). It may be taking them a lot of time to recreate the figures from the base game which had, what, like a dozen and a half different molds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
So far FF has done everything right in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
So far FF has done everything right in my book.

I won't disagree either. I greatly enjoy Battlelore and all the expansions that have come out. In my opinion, it's one of the best games out in the market.

I just want to see more gamers get into the game and see the Battlore rating improve from the 45th best game.

It's a great game now and it has potential to be even greater. I really want to see FFG hit it out of the park.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Batt
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Rebel
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

It may be live for you, but for people like me who are looking into getting in to the game, right now, its pretty much dead. I cant simply drive down to my FLGS and pick up the base game and any expansion I want for it, instead I have to scour the internet and try to avoid the insane price gouging going on right now for a reasonably priced copy.

Fortunately for me, I found a fellow BBGer willing to trade, but now I have to finagle getting any of the expansions I want. I shouldn't have to be doing this for a game thats considered 'alive'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.