Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, me and my fiance have lately started going to a small coffee shop/cafe to play some games and just get out of the house. Unfortunately, most of the games we have that we enjoy have a fairly large footprint.

What we're looking for are some nice co-op games with a reasonable sized footprint playable on a small table.

Though, thinking about it, they don't necessarily have to be co-op, but those tend to have a better chance of going over well with the Mrs. She enjoys things like Blokus Duo and such, but generally anything that I can "clobber" her at tends not to see much table time.

But in terms of Big Games that we enjoy:
Arkham Horror
Zombie State
Dominion
Carcassone
And I'm going to add Castle Ravenloft even though we haven't played it, because its the exact sort of game we enjoy.

Right now I'm looking to get:
Forbidden Island (This looked like it could be played without too much space.)
Onirim

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island is a great game for a couple looking to get some co-op gaming in on a small table space... We find we can actually play this one with our kids around, and could take this one to a coffee shop easily... Great choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red November is a co-op can be played with little table space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Red November is not the best co-op game out there, but it does have a small footprint. With some tweaking, it's a very competent 2-player co-op game, although the variety from game to game isn't much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Ghost Stories 2-player where each controls two monks. Not too big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Welch
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have some time, you might want to navigate over to the Victory Point Games website. They have several co-op games and they all feature small game footprints. You can see the components and read reviews right there.

Good luck with your search.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McGregor
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic is widely regarded as one of the best Co-op games and is quite small and quick to play. The board and box are also on the small side and support all the cards needed for the game. It would be great in a coffee shop setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second for Pandemic. My group just played it for the first time last Friday in the Student Union at a local college. The game fit comfortably on one of the round tables there with just a bit of space taken up on a second table for box, baggies, etc. We had four players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Smokejumpers is a solo game about fighting forest fires, but by splitting up the firefighting budget by the number of players, it would work well as a co-op game.

At the beginning of the game, each player spends his budget on what he or she thinks is needed, then wait (tensely) for lightning to strike. There's no reason to think that several players with a handful of resources could have an easier time putting out the fire than one player managing the entire budget. The fire "goes first", the wind and humidity falls or rises, the fire spreads accordingly, then each player has a turn to try to chop, bulldoze, or drop retardant on the fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Isle of Doctor Necreaux
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point tense fire fighting
Wok Star high pressure real-time, you might get loud

and as others have said

Forbidden Island great pandemic lite
The Isle of Doctor Necreaux fun, fast, brutal scifi pulp
Red November so-so, but amazing components
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Forbidden Island is a great game for a couple looking to get some co-op gaming in on a small table space... We find we can actually play this one with our kids around, and could take this one to a coffee shop easily... Great choice!

+1

I could not agree more. My son and I play this at McDonalds sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so, right now in my cart I've got:

Forbidden Island
Onirim
Isle of Dr. Neacreaux
Zombie in my Pocket

Pandemic looks like it might be a little bit big, and given that all the reviews for Forbidden Island say that it is pretty much the same, and on top of that I have Zombie State, and am thinking of getting Defenders of the Realm, I'm not sure if I should hold off on it or not.

Ghost Stories also looks like it is a liiittle too big.

Flash Point looks pretty cool, actually, but it seems to only be available through Gamecrafter and I'm trying to build a $100 order on coolstuffinc. Which is unfortunate.

I really wish Space Hulk: Death Angel hadn't of gotten pushed back, as that'd also be pretty perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheese Chasers can be played competitively or co-op. I've never played so I can't attest to how good it is. It is PnP though and its footprint is small, both in dimension and price.

Good luck. Playing in public with your fiancee is awesome. We do it as well. Not usually co-op though. Jambo, Dungeon Twister, and Blue Moon are the main contenders when we go to a coffee shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Regarding Pandemic, I agree that it's probably a bit big. I mean, it might be able to fit on a coffee shop table, but there probably wouldn't be that much room left for coffee cups and other foodstuffs which I would assume the coffee shop owners would appreciate you purchasing if you're going to play games in their store.

As a co-op game in general, Pandemic is fantastic, but maybe not for coffee shops.

Death Angel isn't out yet as far as I know, but it looks like a good, reasonably small footprint co-op card game. Dunno if the Warhammer 40k theme is a turn off for you or the missus, but assuming not it's probably a good one to consider.

There's a game called Battle Line which I enjoy. Two players, small footprint. Technically not co-op, but me and my honey have had fun with it, one on one. We're not much for vicious competition when playing just the two of us, either.

Edit: Just noticed you mentioned Death Angel yourself, hah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started doing it mainly to get out of the house. As if we're here, we usually end up watching tv while both on our laptops. Which is fine, but it's nice to have a bit more.

Right now we've mainly just been playing Blokus Duo, Phase 10 Dice, and Zombie Dice. So, needless to say, I'm desperate for something with some meat to it. Not that I don't like Blokus, but other options would be nice.

The problem with competitive games is that I tend to win. And if I win handily, she very quickly stops wanting to play them. So in a game like Blokus where it feels almost impossible to really "crush" someone, or Dominion where its more of an "influential" adversary situation, that works. I just tend to side with co-op because I know that it will hit the table.

Like, Dungeon Twister sounds awesome, but the minute I went actively against her, she'd start having less fun.

At this point, I'm resigned to buying games I like, but that I'll never get a chance to play, in the hopes that I can brainwash our future children into being more like me than her.

Then maybe I'll have someone to play Starcraft or War of the Ring with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
Death Angel isn't out yet as far as I know, but it looks like a good, reasonably small footprint co-op card game. Dunno if the Warhammer 40k theme is a turn off for you or the missus, but assuming not it's probably a good one to consider.

Theme is fine for me, and I think that my fiance can tune it out enough to enjoy it. Once I get the game, I can always reskin it as a dungeon crawl or something if need be.

Quote:
There's a game called Battle Line which I enjoy. Two players, small footprint. Technically not co-op, but me and my honey have had fun with it, one on one. We're not much for vicious competition when playing just the two of us, either.

Battle Line looks really nifty! Though, rather than buy it, I kind of want to make a version of that "Roman Battle Line" that is in the image gallery--even smaller footprint!

But I'd feel guilty. So I should probably just do both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

kvenosdel wrote:
Cheese Chasers can be played competitively or co-op. I've never played so I can't attest to how good it is. It is PnP though and its footprint is small, both in dimension and price.

I just printed this out on Monday and it is a challenging little game. I haven't managed to win it yet, but it is light fun in a very cheap and compact form. I have the lego pirates set so I can play solitaire or multi-player coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.