Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still confused a bit by the rules for the Slime Tower, despite this thread

If a Slime Tower loses a body part, I assume that the other body parts retain their positions, right? So if he loses the body, there will now be a "legs" part and a "head" part. What happens if the opponent rolls that he hits the "body" part?

If a Slime Tower grows back a part, can he choose which part that will be? Assuming that he lost two parts already, that is. So if he only has "legs" left, can he choose whether the body part growing back will be a "head" or a "body"?

(One possible way to resolve these problems would be to say that the Slime Tower always has legs, has a body if he has two parts, has a head if he has three parts, and they're always in the order legs-body-head as seen from the ground up. "Head" damage would then be applied to the "body" if there is no "head", and all damage would be applied to the "legs" if there's neither head nor body. And if the "body" was killed, the "head" would become the new "body" by means of dropping down one step. Does that make sense?)

(Apologies, I had this post as an answer to the other thread first, but figured I'd rather make a new thread instead in order for it to trigger subscriptions )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note, I've playtested the Slime Tower with that rule I talked about, and it works quite well. Even though matches against the Slime Tower are in danger of going all "I damage you for one" - "I heal for one" - "I damage you for one" - "I heal for one" ad nearly infinitum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how the Slime Tower works:

Everything works like normal when it has all three body parts. When it loses a part, no matter which part it was, it acts like a crippled fighter (without legs). Head shots hit the top die and both body shots and leg shots hit the lower die. When it has only one part left, all body parts are a hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Here's how the Slime Tower works:

Everything works like normal when it has all three body parts. When it loses a part, no matter which part it was, it acts like a crippled fighter (without legs). Head shots hit the top die and both body shots and leg shots hit the lower die. When it has only one part left, all body parts are a hit.

Great, thanks a lot A followup question; when it grows a body part back, it can decide whether the new part is going above or below (or between) the existing parts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new part goes on top of the stack.

Both the Slime Tower and Werewolf suffer from overly complicated abilities. You can only fit so much text on the ability card. I should probably see about rewording the Slime Tower card at least to reflect the questions you raised here because they are important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
I should probably see about rewording the Slime Tower card at least to reflect the questions you raised here because they are important.

Yes, please, we had no idea what to do. We just played it where the ST trainer decided which piece was hit, since it was just a tower of slime it didn't seem to make much difference.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm updating the Slime Tower cards and I've run into a dilemma. I need to make it's ability clear but also use the least lines of text possible. So here's what the Slime Tower does in full length, long-winded text:

The Slime Tower will not die until all of its body parts are destroyed. It acts as a crippled Fighter when it has less than three body parts.

Head shots always hit the topmost die, leg shots always hit the bottommost die, and body shots hit the middle die if there are three parts, the top die if there are two parts, and the only die if there is only one part. So if the slime has only two body parts, head and body shots hit the top die and leg shots hit the bottom die. If the slime only has one body part left, all rolls other than miss hit it.
((Edited for contradicting my earlier post about which attacks hit which body parts. Ugh. This Slime Tower is a slippery subject.))

The Slime Tower can use First Aid to recover lost body parts, but only if all of its existing parts are at 3 HP. When recovering a part, place it on top of the tower and set it to 1 HP.

The part that needs help is the middle. I could change how the ST receives damage, like it always takes damage from the top down, but I don't really like how that would play out. Also, how would you deal with called shots? I also like Haslo's original idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I came up with:

The Slime Tower will not die until all of its body parts are destroyed. It is considered crippled (no legs) when it has only two body parts, regardless of which part was destroyed. The Slime Tower’s last body part is always considered a body die and takes damage from any attack other than a miss.

The Slime Tower can use First Aid to recover lost body parts, but only if all of its existing parts are at 3 HP. When recovering a part, place it on top of the tower at 1 HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:

The Slime Tower will not die until all of its body parts are destroyed. It is considered crippled (no legs) when it has only two body parts, regardless of which part was destroyed. The Slime Tower’s last body part is always considered a body die and takes damage from any attack other than a miss.

The Slime Tower can use First Aid to recover lost body parts, but only if all of its existing parts are at 3 HP. When recovering a part, place it on top of the tower at 1 HP.

Sounds like a great way to word things with few concise words

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man... I put a long post and lost it.

Basically, I would consider a tower of slime to not have body parts. A hit reduces it by one, trainers choice. A called hit reduces it by 2, can be spread out rather than hitting a single die.

Or, you can only call HEAD shot on the slime tower, since this is the hardest to hit with, and the 2 hits are taken by the same die/body part.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:

Wouldn't it be crippled with LESS than 3 body parts. Cause if it has 1 it will be crippled also, right?

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Wouldn't it be crippled with LESS than 3 body parts. Cause if it has 1 it will be crippled also, right?

Right. I went ahead and changed that to, " It is considered crippled (no legs) when it has two or less body parts, regardless of which part was destroyed."

As for your other suggestion, I had been thinking about something along those lines, too. But in the end I think it would be simpler to not change how combat works just for one fighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom V
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love the game! Just came to read this because I ran into questions about the Slime Tower today.

What if you changed:
It is considered crippled (no legs) when it has only two body parts, regardless of which part was destroyed.

into:
Once a body part is destroyed, it is crippled. Consider it as having no legs regardless of the body part destroyed.

Just a suggestion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tvreeland wrote:
Love the game! Just came to read this because I ran into questions about the Slime Tower today.

What if you changed:
It is considered crippled (no legs) when it has only two body parts, regardless of which part was destroyed.

into:
Once a body part is destroyed, it is crippled. Consider it as having no legs regardless of the body part destroyed.

Just a suggestion

That is much more clear, thanks. I'm glad you're enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.