Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Dal Porto
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some friends and I were playing last night and an interesting question came up. If, in combat, I play burn or chain lightning do the wounds apply to units immediately and, if so, is it possible to kill a unit mid combat (prior to calculating attack and defense values)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
dudoria wrote:
Some friends and I were playing last night and an interesting question came up. If, in combat, I play burn or chain lightning do the wounds apply to units immediately and, if so, is it possible to kill a unit mid combat (prior to calculating attack and defense values)?

Yes, you could technically even kill a unit outside of combat by using the "Outside Combat" reference for those spells. They would cost you an Action though.

For In Combat, you can only use as many spells as you have units on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Berek Halfhand wrote:
dudoria wrote:

Yes, you could technically even kill a unit outside of combat by using the "Outside Combat" reference for those spells. They would cost you an Action though, and you can only use one per turn in this way.

You'll still have to watch their defensive bonuses on attacks through spells...

Ok, this brings up another question I have...when you say "watch their defensive bonuses on attacks through spells..." do you mean that if the spell says, lets say, "Deal 4 wounds" that the defensive rating reduces the amount of wounds? Or does it straight up deal 4 wounds/2 wounds to several units, etc.

It would seem to me to be the latter of the two, mainly because 1) It straight up says, "deal wounds", and 2) otherwise you'd so rarely be able to overcome a units defensive rating it would make the cards largely worthless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane Sather wrote:
Berek Halfhand wrote:
dudoria wrote:

Yes, you could technically even kill a unit outside of combat by using the "Outside Combat" reference for those spells. They would cost you an Action though, and you can only use one per turn in this way.

Ok, this brings up another question I have...when you say "watch their defensive bonuses on attacks through spells..." do you mean that if the spell says, lets say, "Deal 4 wounds" that the defensive rating reduces the amount of wounds? Or does it straight up deal 4 wounds/2 wounds to several units, etc.

It would seem to me to be the latter of the two, mainly because 1) It straight up says, "deal wounds", and 2) otherwise you'd so rarely be able to overcome a units defensive rating it would make the cards largely worthless.

I am also thoroughly confused by your comment Mathew, as it does not seem at all consistent with the concept of dealing a wound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ford
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I could see applying to defense against spells is either armies/henchman that are naturally not targetable by opponent spells or any unit with the aura of protection that makes them not targetable.

You can also get caught if they are wearing armor or something that adds to their hearts - I know when my friends and I are playing I'm constantly telling them to organize their legion cards so not only are the damage and armor values visible but the hearts are as well - because they are at the middle of the card it can often be covered up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dal Porto
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excepting where a spell increases attack I don't see where the defense value would come into play. My main question was "If I play burn(deal 4 wounds to a single unit) as a combat spell, can it kill a unit with 4 life and immediately remove him from combat?"

On a side note we have been allowing the player who plays the spell to choose which unit is hit. Is this correct or should it be similar to combat where the defender chooses which units are wounded in an attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
dudoria wrote:
Excepting where a spell increases attack I don't see where the defense value would come into play. My main question was "If I play burn(deal 4 wounds to a single unit) as a combat spell, can it kill a unit with 4 life and immediately remove him from combat?"

On a side note we have been allowing the player who plays the spell to choose which unit is hit. Is this correct or should it be similar to combat where the defender chooses which units are wounded in an attack?

The attacker gets to choose which unit to specific hit (though armor is calculated for them all to defend that unit). The defender however gets to choose how to disperse the Wounds (depending on the card played).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kroegel
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
Berek Halfhand wrote:
dudoria wrote:

I am sorry for the confusion everyone. Spells DO pierce through defense. Defense only subtracts Attack power.

Also you may play as many spells outside of combat as you have actions to do so. It is only in combat that you are limited to casting spells, one spell for each unit you have participating in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berends
Australia
Waurn Ponds (Geelong)
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Daniel,

Quick question.

Had my first game last night with friend who came over to help me trial the game.
Had a big battle which I killed all his units. All my units were very low on health.
He was going to cast chain lightning out of combat which would of killed several of my units, however it does not seem like he would get any prestige as that only comes from killing units in combat? (Is this correct?)
Instead he used it in combat which left the question when do my units die?
Can a unit die mid combat? lowering your attack and defence values or do units die at the end of combat.
Looking forward to my next game, recommend a notepad and pen for each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Zdanio
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goblin.77 wrote:
Hi Daniel,

Quick question.

Had my first game last night with friend who came over to help me trial the game.
Had a big battle which I killed all his units. All my units were very low on health.
He was going to cast chain lightning out of combat which would of killed several of my units, however it does not seem like he would get any prestige as that only comes from killing units in combat? (Is this correct?)

Daniel Kroegel wrote:
It doesnt matter when a unit is killed by another player, it will always reward prestige to the other player. It is important to understand that not all units are killed in combat, they may very well have been targeted outside of combat with a dirrect damage spell.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/5338602#5338602

goblin.77 wrote:
Instead he used it in combat which left the question when do my units die?
Can a unit die mid combat? lowering your attack and defence values or do units die at the end of combat.
Looking forward to my next game, recommend a notepad and pen for each player.

Yep, that is how it works. You soften them up with spells then hit them with your Attack value on their weakened Defense value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Wallop !
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chain Lightning says "In Combat: Deal 2 wounds to 2 units of an opposing Legion."

If that is played during combat with a monster (as opposed to a Legion) are some innocent bystanders in someone's opposing Legion damaged? Is it the card player's choice of Legion? And subsequently the damage-taker's choice of how to apportion those wounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
dbriel wrote:
The Chain Lightning says "In Combat: Deal 2 wounds to 2 units of an opposing Legion."

If that is played during combat with a monster (as opposed to a Legion) are some innocent bystanders in someone's opposing Legion damaged? Is it the card player's choice of Legion? And subsequently the damage-taker's choice of how to apportion those wounds?

The player has a choice as to which units in an opposing legion are damaged. This may only effect a single other person's legion, and can apply to any unit within that legion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Berek Halfhand wrote:
dbriel wrote:

The player has a choice as to which units in an opposing legion are damaged. This may only effect a single other person's legion, and can apply to any unit within that legion.

This is allowed???? I'm quite surprised to read this, because it seems anti-thematic - if I'm fighting a Monster, how can another player cast something like Chain Lightning on me? We've been playing then when in combat with a Monster, spells that apply to "in combat" may not be played by other players, and that such spells can only be used when a player is an active participant in the combat! The same applies to combat between two players - a third party not part of this combat cannot cast an `in combat' spell. So we are playing this incorrectly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.