Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm almost sure this question has been addressed here before, but after going back through the rules section for the last year, I could not find it.

the guys and I played the base Arkham Horror Friday night and included personal stories and the "Lively Awfulness" difficulty setting. Around half-way through, an environmental Mythos card came up that did not allow for any gates to be sealed with Elder Signs. Unfortunately, I popped out of the O.W. the turn after and was planning to seal the gate with my Elder Sign. I ended up sitting on my elusive gate trophy with an explorer token for many turns. We rationalized that I would not have an encounter on the Arkham location that had the open gate I was waiting to seal. We saw both sides of the argument though - one being that the gate totally replaced the location and we could see how the abnormal activity could keep anything else from happening. We also wondered if the gate could somehow be in the backyard of say, the Witch House, and allow access to a normal encounter.

We have had this happen one or two other times in the past and I have always held to the idea that no encounters take place even when sitting on an explored gate, due to the abnormal activity the gate brought. I knew many here could clear this up for us, and again, I'm sorry if this has been addressed in the past.

Marty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules for Dunwich Horror in a sidebar (I forget which page, but I think it was an example of Tasks/Missions) it says to "remember" that you cannot visit a location to have an encounter if there is an open gate.

That being said, one of Richard Launius' house rules is that a gate is roughly 5m X 5m in size and characters can have location encounters even while an open gate is present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have always held to the idea that no encounters take place even when sitting on an explored gate, due to the abnormal activity the gate brought.

That is correct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An open Gate replaces a Location - so no encounter is possible. Of course there may well be some monsters lurking near the gate from when it opened; you'll have to deal with them if you hang around after the first Phase III following your return to Arkham. Oh, and let's just hope you don't experience a Gate Burst!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Oh, and let's just hope you don't experience a Gate Burst!
If the gate's open, a Gate Burst won't do anything special. It will just act as a regular monster surge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Oh, and let's just hope you don't experience a Gate Burst!
If the gate's open, a Gate Burst won't do anything special. It will just act as a regular monster surge.
You're right, I meant a Monster Surge - my bad. I was just imagining the consequences of a whole bunch of monsters coming out of the gate while you're just "hanging around"; the thought got me so excited that I confused my Gate Burst with my Monster Surge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone for the response. I didn't think an encounter would be had while waiting to close/seal a gate, but I may alter our house rules to allow it so no one gets bored in the game, if many turns are lost like we had in our last play. However, I don't really think I would want to risk a bad encounter, myself, while trying to deal with the gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vito 1 wrote:
Thanks, everyone for the response. I didn't think an encounter would be had while waiting to close/seal a gate, but I may alter our house rules to allow it so no one gets bored in the game, if many turns are lost like we had in our last play. However, I don't really think I would want to risk a bad encounter, myself, while trying to deal with the gate.

Yeah, imaging how pissed you'd be if there were only two open gates with one investigator camping on one of them waiting for a second investigator to return from OW so that you could both close gates in the same turn and win with an all gates closed victory - only to have an encounter that you volunteered to have send you somewhere else; your explored token is now lost and so is the opportunity to win the game. Bummer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.