7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: May I suggest Forbidden Island rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S2tm Neo
Canada
flag msg tools
If you're looking for a strategy, group based colaboration, card, quick, medium complexity based family game, under $15... That comes in a nice tin can, that has lots if great online reviews... then look no further.

I'm on holiday with my family (13yr old girl, 9yr old boy) at Cape Cod (an man is it ever so boring here) hence we need some entertainment for the rental cottage (when the default won cut it.. Boggle, monopoly, life).

My criteria was to find a fun, simple, quick to learn, engaging, non competetive family game. Wow that's no easy task.

Well at Barnes and Noble I was on a quest with my son. And after 40 min of searching I found Forbidden Island.

We bought it. Took it home. Unwrapped it. Admired the art work, the treasure pieces (the player pawns are weak). And during dinne I read the dirctions to only one receptive ear, my son. My daughter thought it geeky. My wife thought it boring.

Finally we started. And I'm glad to say at about the 30min mark, magically like clock work, my daughter leaned forward out of her slump. My wife was screaming at my son her gaming directions (remember it supposed to be team play?). We were all "in". Unfortunaetly the island was barely sunk but then again that was th point of th game. I think I we give it another go tonight a) we will run smoother because we know the rules and the strategy.

This game is worth every penny and more. Get it.
And start freaking out together a a family! : )

LC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I couldn't agree more. My wife has stopped board gaming almost completely due to some over-aggressive, only-in-it-for-the-win, folks who have joined our group of late. This is one that everyone in the family enjoys and everyone in the gaming group enjoys it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island seems like Pandemic: Lite, which is not a dig, but may be a turn off to those who have Pandemic.

I have FI and hope to have it played over this Labor Day weekend where we'll see if my fears are warrented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

byronczimmer wrote:
Forbidden Island seems like Pandemic: Lite, which is not a dig, but may be a turn off to those who have Pandemic.

I have FI and hope to have it played over this Labor Day weekend where we'll see if my fears are warrented.

I will be interested to see what you think about FI. I have played both and the mechanic is very similar in both games. FI is quicker to setup and quicker to play, but *I* don't think it is fair to say FI is Pandemic: Lite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to blame this thread for my current problem. I've had Forbidden Island in my cart over at coolstuffinc for 2 days, waiting to find some more games to fill out my order. I was finally going to place said order tonight.. and what do I suddenly find as I'm adding the last thing to my cart?

The game is suddenly sold out.
cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Clayberg
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took my copy of "Forbidden Island" with me to WA State in May/June when I went to visit my female best friend and her daughter again. Sadly, when I was packing before returning to VA, I realized that I didn't have room in my luggage for FI and the other travel-sized games I'd brought with me. I just hope my female best friend and her daughter and their gaming group are having fun with FI and the other games. I hope to be back with them next April and maybe then I'll be able to bring the games back home with me. And maybe play a game or three of FI while I'm there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cookman
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Felimid wrote:
Sadly, when I was packing before returning to VA, I realized that I didn't have room in my luggage for FI and the other travel-sized games I'd brought with me.

Aaaaaack! I follow that old soldier mantra: "Never leave a man behind."

I would have been losing t-shirts, socks and undies before I would have left a game behind. Though it sounds like you left them in a nice place where they will be played, so I will forgive you this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.