Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jens KH
Germany
Karben
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

in September/October I'll be touring the south-western parts of Canada with a friend. Schedule and itinerary are still a bit hazy (and probably will stay that way until we get there (or maybe longer)) but I thought I'd ask if there are any open gaming groups or similar "in the neighborhood" who would welcome two foreign travellers at their (metaphorical, I suppose) campfires for an evening of gaming and sharing their grizzly stories (I'm told that part's not optional over there). As I said, we're still fuzzy on details so it might happen that we don't really have the time and/or inclination to play (the latter doesn't sound bloody likely if you ask me) or we just won't be there at the right time but it's always good to have options, right?

Did I mention the plan is still forming? So we don't really know where exactly we're going to be which makes this sort of exercise a little more interesting (ohh!). The only fixtures right now (in space, not time) are Calgary, Vancouver, and "in between". We'll see where that turns out to be.

Oh, and if you have some knowledge to share about must-see places in the aforementioned area other than your game room I'd like to hear about those, too. I'm excited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
If you head to Victoria I would welcome a game and many of the groups are open to visitors too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are in Kamloops, BC - which is on just about every highway let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens KH
Germany
Karben
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. Vancouver Island ranks pretty highly on our list of places to see so the odds of us getting to Victoria aren't bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Moulton
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jens,
There are plenty of Euro gamers in the Vancouver Area, I play with a regular group with gamers from all over the city who play light to heavier euros. I also play with a few friends in the downtown area and we tend to lean more towards the heavier stuff.
You can geekmail me when you're in town and we can set up a gaming session, or you can check out the Vancouver group's calendar to see when they are meeting.

http://groups.google.com/group/yvr_bgg/?pli=1

Enjoy your trip to Canada.

Kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm east of Calgary ~ 2 hours (farther into the prairies), and in the opposite direction of Vancouver, but if you come by, you'd be more than welcome to join in a game or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens KH
Germany
Karben
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive65 wrote:
If you are in Kamloops, BC - which is on just about every highway let me know.

Will do, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
If you head to Victoria I would welcome a game and many of the groups are open to visitors too.

I was going to say the exact same thing...

As for must-see places, Victoria should be on your list. Beautiful city, and a little less rain than Vancouver. And we have some excellent brewpubs, if you're a fan of beer.

And if you're a sports person at all, I'd suggest taking in a hockey game while you're around. There are minor/junior leagues all over the place, or you can try to get to an NHL game in Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton (but NHL tickets can sometimes be hard to come by).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens KH
Germany
Karben
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krismoulton wrote:
You can geekmail me when you're in town and we can set up a gaming session, or you can check out the Vancouver group's calendar to see when they are meeting.

Enjoy your trip to Canada.

Thanks, Kris, I'll shoot you a message when we get there (most likely closer to the end of September).

kestril wrote:
I'm east of Calgary ~ 2 hours

That's probably too far out of the way for us, I'm afraid. Time's too short as it is. I appreciate the offer, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens KH
Germany
Karben
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adria wrote:
And we have some excellent brewpubs, if you're a fan of beer.

Ok, you got me. blush

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in 18XX at all, there's a small but faithful 18XX contingent in Victoria BC who would happily host a visitor for a game. If that's of interest to you, just send me a geekmail and we can plan it out when you know your schedule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzle wrote:
Adria wrote:

Ok, you got me. blush

laugh

Any German in Victoria would have to visit der Rathskeller!

http://www.rathskeller.ca/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you can't reach the booming metropolis of Medicine Hat, Alberta (yes, there is sarcasm there). I might, depending on your length of stay and interests, suggest the following places to visit:
The Burgess Shale formation, Columbia Icefields (halfway between Banff and Jasper, Alberta), Roger's Pass, and just about any provincial or federal park in British Columbia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
fizzle wrote:
Adria wrote:

Ok, you got me. blush

laugh

http://www.rathskeller.ca/

I don't know...wouldn't that be like visiting Germany and going to McDonald's for a burger? I guess it's good if you want a taste of home.

fizzle - if you want to check out the brewpubs, I can definitely help you out there. Perhaps even join you for a beer or two (or six...whistle). I know of a couple good brew pubs in Vancouver too, and BC has a LOT of local craft breweries around. Definitely try to sample the local microbrews (NOT Canadian, Kokanee, etc) while you're here.

Or if you stop by for games, I usually had a pretty good selection of local beers in my fridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to Victoria or Vancouver Island, i would suggest taking what is called the Circle rout. From Vancouver you go to Victoria by ferry, then up Island to Courtenay/Comox then another ferry to Powell River, where you are invited to play games with our group, if tenting, no problem using our back yard if you wish but would suggest a campsite situated less than 200 yards from downtown Powell River. From there you take a small ferry to the larger part of The Sunshine Coast, then another ferry back to Vancouver. This is a wonderful journey, but when taking the first ferry to Victoria you must mention the circle rout so you can save 20% of ferry costs. Let me know if i should start brushing up on my German when you figure out what routs you will take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens KH
Germany
Karben
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
If you are interested in 18XX at all, there's a small but faithful 18XX contingent in Victoria BC who would happily host a visitor for a game.

Thanks. I'm still very new to 18xx. Without checking my logged plays I think I played my first in May this year. I'd nevertheless be interested in getting my ass whipped once more, but I suspect 18xx would be a notch too much for my buddy who isn't quite the geeky gamer.

Kestril wrote:
I might, depending on your length of stay and interests, suggest the following places to visit:
The Burgess Shale formation, Columbia Icefields (halfway between Banff and Jasper, Alberta), Roger's Pass,

Duly noted, thanks. Jasper and Banff NPs are somewhere near the top of the list so at least some of these are very very likely.

Kestril wrote:
and just about any provincial or federal park in British Columbia.

A quick glance at the map tells me that those alone could probably keep us busy for about two years...

Adria wrote:
jrebelo wrote:

I don't know...wouldn't that be like visiting Germany and going to McDonald's for a burger?

It does look like it, at least if you're from somewhere in Bavaria.

Adria wrote:
if you want to check out the brewpubs, I can definitely help you out there. Perhaps even join you for a beer or two (or six...whistle )

A local pub guide doesn't sound like something I could say no to...

nastycleavage wrote:
i would suggest taking what is called the Circle rout. From Vancouver you go to Victoria by ferry, then up Island to Courtenay/Comox then another ferry to Powell River, where you are invited to play games with our group

Thanks, Rick, I'll take a look at that route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzle wrote:
A local pub guide doesn't sound like something I could say no to...

Let me know if/when you'll be in Victoria, and we can set something up. If other Victoria-area BGGers want to come out, they're certainly welcome to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens KH
Germany
Karben
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after much deliberation (and schemeing, and plotting, not to mention sweat, tears, and blood) we have a first draft of the route.

And a question for you guys in the Vancouver Island area: The BC Ferries website strongly recommends reservations. How important are those, really? Since our schedule will be mostly ad-hoc it would be somewhat challenging to book the ferries well in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzle wrote:
So, after much deliberation (and schemeing, and plotting, not to mention sweat, tears, and blood) we have a first draft of the route.

And a question for you guys in the Vancouver Island area: The BC Ferries website strongly recommends reservations. How important are those, really? Since our schedule will be mostly ad-hoc it would be somewhat challenging to book the ferries well in advance.

Without a reservation, especially at busy times (e.g. friday nights, long weekends), if you have a vehicle you can wait at least 2 or 3 sailings for a spot, which can mean several hours of waiting, and in rare cases can mean waiting until the next day if they all fill up.

Judge for yourself whether that's okay, or if sacrificing a little bit of ad-hoc in order not to spend some of your holiday waiting on a dock is the bigger priority.

Also (and perhaps people who take the ferry more regularly can confirm) you don't have to make your reservation all that far in advance. even if you know a day or two before, and make a reservation then, or even try on the morning of, that will often be good enough. So it's not like you need to have your trip schedule completely planned out in advance. Like I said, if that's the approach you want to take, double-check it with someone who takes the ferry regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you're not taking the ferry on a holiday/long weekend, you should be fine without a reservation. And like mussels said, you can make your reservation fairly close to your sailing. I'm not sure what the cut-off is, but the BC Ferries website probably has that.

If you can make the sailing during daylight, I'd recommend doing so. The scenery along the route is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Back to the circle route, go counter clock wise and you should have no trouble. Work your way up the Sunshine coast to Powell river then across and down to Victoria. Do not worry about reservations no matter which way you go. just get to the ferry terminal at least about an hour before it sails. Thanksgiving day is the only holiday to worry about October 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nanich .
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
I never get reservations myself. I have never needed to wait more then a sailing. I personally think hanging out in the ferry line reading a book is one of the many things that gives us the Spirit of the West,

Mostly likely BC Ferries recommends the reservations not for you, but for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens KH
Germany
Karben
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew. Matt was scaring me there for a moment but it sounds like you can get by without reservations after all. If the terminal conditions published on the website can be trusted we probably won't even have to camp at the docks because we can just avoid going there in the first place. I suspect there are worse places to be stuck in for a day than the Gold Coast.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah my german dude, dont sweat it. I have been to the island for many work trade shows on long weekends such as this and we would just show up 1 hour early for the ferry we want to be on, no reservation necessary if you are driving on. Just get there early, park in the ferry line up, go hang out in the cafe and terminal and such, an hour will fly by, you will get notice to go back to your car from where ever you are then drive right on, worst case scenario is you miss the ferry you intended but catch the next one which would only put you back by an hour tops.

Shake and bake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon L
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the guys Kris games with in downtown Vancouver. It would be great to have you in for a couple games. I've dropped in on a BGG'er myself when touring Costa Rica last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.