Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Borden
United States
Somerset
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I have recently been bitten by the roller coaster bug, and I’ve been looking for a BGG type of site equivalent for roller coaster geeks. There are databases of coasters and theme parks out there, but nothing comes close to the BGG design. I’m sure there’s a ton of other geekdo site ideas floating around, just wondering if roller coaster geek was a possibility.

I can see ratings and logged rides being very popular (only a total ride count site exists currently), with theme park and ride specific forums being a much more organized and useful way of finding information than any other sites out there is doing it now.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that basically all you need to do is go to Cedar Point and not worry about any other roller coasters anywhere else.

I've yet to ride a coaster that can match Millennium Force in awesomeness.

And, quite frankly the Magnum XL-200 coaster is more fun than nearly every other coaster I've ever been on even though it is probably now considered obsolete.

And not to beat a dead horse, but Top Thrill Dragster is pretty frakkin' sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny that you mention this - I've received a couple of requests for themeparksgeek.com now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
I think that basically all you need to do is go to Cedar Point and not worry about any other roller coasters anywhere else.

That's funny I was going to make a similar comment but substitute Raptor for Millennium Force. Cedar Point puts most other roller coaster parks to shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out the American Coaster Enthusiasts or ACE. They are a national outfit that travels to all of the amusement parks to rate their coasters.

Living 45 minutes from Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH allows me to get my thrill on as far as coasters go. My favorite is the Raptor, but the Magnum XL-200, the Millennium Force, the Top Thrill Dragster, and the Maverick are all highly-rated roller coasters. And I have ridden them all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
ze_stom wrote:

That's funny I was going to make a similar comment but substitute Raptor for Millennium Force. Cedar Point puts most other roller coaster parks to shame.

I haven't been there for a long time, but I did like Cedar point

Phantom's Revenge at a small park near Pittsburgh is awesome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never ridden the Maverick, but I really want to. I just have to find a weekend to fly out to OH.

Last time I was there was over a weekend in October, which was a great time to go since it was dead. There was NO line for the Magnum. I think I rode it 5 times in a row before I got tired of walking all the way around from the exit back to the entrance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I've got an idea. There are "add board game", "add person", "add family", "add publisher" and "add podcast" under the "misc" tab now. There should be "add .geek site", and you could create rollercoastergeek.com, fishgeek.com or anything else very easily. It would give a new meaning for user created content.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Borden
United States
Somerset
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for information on Cedar Point and other parks is why I made this request (or more accurately…repeated / showed my support for it). Cedar Point is a trip I will hopefully be able to make in 2011 or 12, but for now I am “settling” on Six Flags New England as my home park with 2 days at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey earlier this week as a bonus. So far El Toro (SFGA) and Bizarro (the SFNE one) are battling it out for my favorite spot.

I am not a hardcore roller coaster enthusiast at this point, but as an aspiring one I am tracking my rides. I’ve logged over a hundred rides on 18 different roller coasters this summer. A geek site would make tracking and researching future trips much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
ze_stom wrote:

That's funny. I was going to say Maverick. Come on now. The drop is MORE than a 90% angle.

Actually they're all good, though I have to agree that I have never encountered anything like Millennium Force. All other rides are carousels in comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
Blott wrote:
ze_stom wrote:

That's funny. I was going to say Maverick. Come on now. The drop is MORE than a 90% angle.

Actually they're all good, though I have to agree that I have never encountered anything like Millennium Force. All other rides are carousels in comparison.

I really want to try out the Maverick. How much different does the drop feel from a normal drop or a loop drop? How is the coaster overall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
I really want to try out the Maverick. How much different does the drop feel from a normal drop or a loop drop? How is the coaster overall?

Overall it's a great coaster. It has more changes in speed, direction, and orientation than any other I've been on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
manchuwok wrote:
Blott wrote:
ze_stom wrote:

The Maverick uses a magnetic drive to get you up the first hill (and also through a tunnel - after braking to nearly a dead stop). Also, the first drop is at 95 degrees - that's right, 95 degrees - you're basically close to upside down on the first hill. The Maverick also snaps you from left to right and back again, and there are at least two sections where you catch some serious air. This explains why the harness does not cinch down on top of your shoulders unless you are a big/tall person. It's a hell of a ride, and like the Millennium, there are no slow spots, except for the aforementioned tunnel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
ze_stom wrote:
manchuwok wrote:
Blott wrote:
ze_stom wrote:

The Maverick uses a magnetic drive to get you up the first hill (and also through a tunnel - after braking to nearly a dead stop). Also, the first drop is at 95 degrees - that's right, 95 degrees - you're basically close to upside down on the first hill. The Maverick also snaps you from left to right and back again, and there are at least two sections where you catch some serious air. This explains why the harness does not cinch down on top of your shoulders unless you are a big/tall person. It's a hell of a ride, and like the Millennium, there are no slow spots, except for the aforementioned tunnel.

Man, I wish I could get out there this year. Next summer, there's no stopping me. I'll have to take some time off work though- I don't want to get stuck waiting 3 hours/ride. I'm not sure my wife knows what she'll be getting herself into though. When I used to live in chicago, my GF and i would leave at 3:30 AM so we could get there near opening time, stay through closing and then drive back to Chicago. Those were some long-ass days.

I'm about 6'5" so I'm guessing that I'll get caught in the harness a bit, but I love catching air. It's definitely one of my favorite roller coaster tricks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a list of all the roller coasters at Cedar Point:

Blue Streak
WildCat
Iron Dragon
Cedar Creek Mine Ride
Corkscrew
Gemini
Raptor
Mantis
Magnum XL-200
Millennium Force
Wicked Twister
Top Thrill Dragster
Maverick
Mean Streak

There are also two water flume rides with decent sized hills:

Shoot the Rapids
Snake River Falls

You're pretty much guaranteed to get wet on either flume ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
Infomanohio wrote:
ze_stom wrote:
manchuwok wrote:
Blott wrote:
ze_stom wrote:

Man, I wish I could get out there this year. Next summer, there's no stopping me. I'll have to take some time off work though- I don't want to get stuck waiting 3 hours/ride. I'm not sure my wife knows what she'll be getting herself into though. When I used to live in chicago, my GF and i would leave at 3:30 AM so we could get there near opening time, stay through closing and then drive back to Chicago. Those were some long-ass days.

I'm about 6'5" so I'm guessing that I'll get caught in the harness a bit, but I love catching air. It's definitely one of my favorite roller coaster tricks.

Keep in mind that Cedar Point opens at 9:00 a.m. but unless you have a special access ticket you can't get to any of the rides until 10:00 a.m. Also, believe it or not, it's usually less crowded on a holiday then on a weekday (avoid Fridays in the summer). I went on July 5 this year and the longest I had to wait in line was one hour for the Maverick - and that was because it broke down just before I was to get on (it was a really hot day - we waited 20 more minutes before it was running again, and it was my last ride of the day).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Where do you like to sit if you have the option?
Where do you like to sit?
Front Row
Back Row
Middle
Anywhere -I just love the ride
      26 answers
Poll created by ze_stom

Will you wait extra time for those seats? (sometimes trying to snag the front can add 1hr to the wait time)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falafel Palmer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Congratulations! Welcome to this new aspect of geekery!

So, there are a few things like your looking for, but nothing exactly like what you're hoping for in themeparkgeek, I think.

First, http://www.coastercounter.com does the basics of what you are looking for. You can keep count of how many you've ridden and how many times you've ridden each one. You can also rank your favorites. This site gives you all the basic info on the coasters, too. No forums, though.

Second, Coaster Tracker is a more slimmed down option available on facebook. You can log what parks you've been to/ coasters ridden but there's no way to log multiple rides of the same coaster. You can keep a top ten list with it, and it will provide a link to RCDB if you want more statistical info on the coaster.

Third, you have forums, there are like a million of them. (okay, that's an exageration) http://www.themeparkreview.com is probably the largest. Loads of information hiding there, but it has a lot wider, ah, age range? Sometimes it's the very epitome of an internet forum, but the moderators are usually pretty good about policing it. That's the one I'm on, but there are quite a few others that you may have found already. http://www.thrillnetwork.com, http://www.rideworld.com and http://www.coasterbuzz.com are some of the other ones.
There is no tracking (that I know of) available in the forums.

Aaaaand, these are all the options I know of that might tide you over until themeparkgeek.com is up and running At the very least, you can start tracking your coasters! Let me know when you've hit 2,000 ridden!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falafel Palmer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmartinc wrote:

Jackrabbit FTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Banks
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, sadly, I've been unable to make my long-running annual pilgrimmage to Cedar Point the past two seasons -- but, at least they haven't added anything new that I'm really missing out on.

I'm less than 15 minutes from Hersheypark, and I haven't even been THERE this season!

shake

Despite all of that, I'm all for a BGG-esque implementation of a roller coaster site -- RCDB is a good start, but seriously lacking in any type of human interaction.

My favs:

B&M inverts: Talon @ Dorney (sorry Raptor)
PTC woodies: Thunderhawk @ Dorney (Blue Streak is still nice, tho)
Morgan Hypers: Magnum XL-200 @ CP -- no contest!
Intamin Hypers: Superman @ Darien Lake
Intamin Gigas: Millie @ CP -- again, no contest
Intamin Rockets: TTD @ CP (haven't been on KK yet, tho)
GCI woodies: Lightning Racer @ Hershey -- great duel racer
Summers & Dinn woodies: Predator(?) @ Darien Lake (Glad Hercules is gone!)
Schwarzkopf loopers: now defunct Lazer from Dorney (where'd it go??)
Vekoma anything -- won't' ride ANY of them. VEKOMAs SUCK!

Your results may vary, of course.

From, your Roller Coaster Fan microbadge designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Funny that you mention this - I've received a couple of requests for themeparksgeek.com now.
Don't be so limited. RoadTripGeek.com could service those who want to travel the US (possibly world) and pull over to check out attractions, restaurants, even just need to know where the next rest area is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
We should just create a guild for roller coaster enthusiasts...cool I can see some potential in this thread for some really cool discussions. And it would be a great place for people to get advice before making the trip to a park.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFalafelGirl wrote:
rmartinc wrote:

Jackrabbit FTW!

Anybody else take that out of context and get their drink coming through their sinuses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Duuuuude, I went to King's Island just this past Monday. It was late enough in the season and on a weekday so that the lines were short enough to allow me to ride all ten major coasters in the park in one day. My favorite was the Firehawk. It was my first flying style coaster. You sit down and then they tilt your seat back until you are in a supine position. You go up the hill head first, and then in the first drop the track twists 180 degrees so you are now prone and it feels like you are flying like a bird. Wicked cool. The Diamondback and the Vortex are also highly recommended.

But yes, King's Island notwithstanding, Cedar Point is definitely the best park I've ever been to for roller coaster connoisseurs. You haven't lived until you've ridden the Millennium Force and the Top Thrill Dragster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:

And, quite frankly the Magnum XL-200 coaster is more fun than nearly every other coaster I've ever been on even though it is probably now considered obsolete.

And not to beat a dead horse, but Top Thrill Dragster is pretty frakkin' sweet.
I'll second the vote for Cedar Point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.