Subject: WWII Cavalry Units? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Wilson
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
Regarding the Soviet Guard Cavalry and German Cavalry and SS Cavalry in this game...

To what extent were these REAL cavalry, (with real horses, though I would expect always acting as mounted infantry by this point in history) and to what extent are they cavalry-in-name only that have traded their mounts for motorized vehicles? (In which case such units aren't really different from a motorized infantry unit.)

I know the cossacks were employed in some raiding in WWII, though they obviously couldn't fight determined infantry or, god forbid, armor head on. And the Chinese, Japanese, and various British Commonwealth "indigenous" forces of India and Burma did use horses sporadically in some mix of officer mounts, or actual transport of mounted infantry.

And then the SS Cavalry Corps was really more of a social club, intended to get wealthy Germans into Nazism; they weren't planning ever on having to actually fight until things got desperate in late 1944-'45.

So being long winded here, does anyone know? Are Guard Cavalry in this game motorized? And then, as it matters for gameplay, how does that work with exploitation, victory determination, and taking first losses in combat...do they count in that sense?

And as a final question, what is the Italian CZIR? Like really, what is that...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
something wrote:
Regarding the Soviet Guard Cavalry and German Cavalry and SS Cavalry in this game...

To what extent were these REAL cavalry, (with real horses, though I would expect always acting as mounted infantry by this point in history) and to what extent are they cavalry-in-name only that have traded their mounts for motorized vehicles? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Expeditionary_Corps_in_...

And as a final question, what is the Italian CZIR? Like really, what is that...?

They are really mounted cavalry. Horses proved useful in some of the bad terrain were trucks and even track couldn't operate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Expeditionary_Corps_in_...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
something wrote:

To what extent were these REAL cavalry, (with real horses, though I would expect always acting as mounted infantry by this point in history) and to what extent are they cavalry-in-name only that have traded their mounts for motorized vehicles? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Expeditionary_Corps_in_...

They are really mounted cavalry. Horses proved useful in some of the bad terrain were trucks and even track couldn't operate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Expeditionary_Corps_in_...

Plus they ate the local vegetation: very convenient. Try foraging for diesel fuel!

The Soviets thus used some Cavalry unit for deep "Behind the Enemy lines" raids.

And a case could be made that the German Army was in fact still mostly a horse-drawn Army during the war, and it saved their hides during the Russian 1941 winter and mud seasons: The trucks would not start or move forward, but the horses did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Wilson
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
Oh thank you for replies both. :)

Yeah, mounted (fighting mounted) cavalry had been on the decline since the American Civil War really. ACW (my main area of wargame and historical expertise) cavalry rarely did charges against infantry, nearly always acted as mounted infantry.

And oh yeah, the German artillery was mostly horsedrawn, I think they brought something like 500,000 horses into Russia; half died by January 1942. But yeah, I could totally see them as good infiltrator units, can forage locally and don't need gasoline or diesel, very cool.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
We played Star Fluxx, Star Munchkin, Dixit, and, of course, Bomb Alley.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Corpo di Spedizione Italiano in Russia, Italian Expeditionary Corps in Russia...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.