Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
54 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Tagging GeekLists rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, since tagging is all the rage I figured we could try it here and see what happens.

On the GeekLists page you will now see a link called [Edit Tags]. Followed by a list of tags (if the list has any).

By clicking on the [Edit Tags] you can edit your tags for this list. Tags are one-word descriptors that you can assign to any geeklist. Tags can't contain quotation marks or whitespace, but are otherwise unrestricted. You can add as many tags as you like (separated by spaces) and then click on submit.

The GeekList will then be updated and you can see your tags in the title bar. I think eventually we will only show the most popular tags in the title, but your personal "tagging" will still exist.

Clicking on Tags on the top bar will bring up your tags for perusal. You can also see other user's tags from their profiles.

Let the experiment begin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Goodall
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good
once again aldie, putting in the long hours to make this site great. you are the man!!goldencamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried this out, and it doesn't seem to work. I tried to add a tag to one of mine, and someone elses Geeklist. When I go back to "Edit Tags" they don't show up, and when I do a search, the lists don't appear.

Also, may I suggest that you add a few "standard" ones:

Examples might be:
#Players - there are so many lists about number of players
WantInfo - Many lists of people just getting info
ByCriteria - There are many lists that group games by some criteria.

I'm sure there are a few others that would be nice to have everyone use the same text for the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm you getting any errors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to close IE and reopen it to enable the feature. It seems common with new features for me, if I am on the site while you are changing things. It works now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
You mighta had a cached version of the page with some missing stuff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I figure.

I've tagged quite a few. Sometimes it "takes" and sometimes it doesn't. I've had to do some up to 3 times before they finally "take". It always gives the "added tags" message, but you can't always believe it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the available tags people are using should appear on the edit interface to click on and add to the GL tags, so we are more likely to use the same text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I had a bug with the inserting of a new tag. It should be good now and work on the first try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think eventually we will only show the most popular tags in the title, but your personal "tagging" will still exist.

Not quite sure I understand. Are you going to show the most popular "personal" tags?
I would be under the impression that all tags created by us are personal.

Obligatory use of new smileys: coffeetobaccoindigosugarcorncolonist1vp5vp arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero-length tags
If there is whitespace before the first word or after the last one then the zero-length tag is created.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think eventually we will only show the most popular tags in the title, but your personal "tagging" will still exist.

Yeah, I don't understand this either. If I tag a ton of lists with the personal word "Trash" (because I might not want to differentiate between "what I may buy" "what to play with my girlfriend" and "great wargames"), will that start to appear on the main page? I surely hope not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've done a few now and it was tough not to tag lists as "good" or "trash" or "useless." Not that I think "trash" or "useless" lists shouldn't be there, but if I'm tagging only for myself, that's how I'd do it because I could have just a handful of categories when I want to search geeklists. Instead, I tried to use common terms for some of the lists.

Result: it's a bit tedious and there seem to be two opportunities for enhancement. First, it sure would be nice if the cursor positioned itself for typing in the tags when you click "Edit Tags." As it is, I have to actively click in the box to start typing. Second, I think it may allow me to add tags multiple times--I went to one list and put in "outsidegeekinterest" or something like that (like movie geeks or book geeks or whatnot posting their other hobby info) but then I went back into that list to add "war" as another tag, only to find that my old tag is retained; so I added " war" to the end of the original tag and got a message that both the original and "war" had been "added" as tags. Did I just get to double-tag an entry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
i think the tag list is a good idea, but it opens the GLs up for a bit more "nastiness" than just a rating.

i know i put a lot of effort into my 'lists, so to see someone anonymously add "biased" or "gripes" or [tags] with negative connotations to my lists -- easily seen by everyone logging on -- instead of adding them as a comment which i can respond to... well, it's frustrating.

what's to stop someone from simply creating tags like [@sshole] or [stupid-list] or [time-waster] and applying them to things they don't like? where's the line between a helpful tag and an inflammatory/trolling/inciteful tag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stop the madness!
I notice some folks are tagging a geeklist "Topic A" if any game on it is about "Topic A". This doesn't work at all. The whole list should be about a topic to get that tag or whats the point? Tags should help in finding the topic, not the game. I don't want to see a list about the games made by Knizia if I do a search on the wargames tag (I would for a 'designer' tag search). I don't want to see a list about the art of Doris Matthäus if I do a search on the science fiction tag (I do for an 'artist' tag).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Jason, I don't know who tagged your list "gripes", but I think it is a good tag and isn't meant to be pejorative to your list (just to the games on the list). I had a couple lists I tagged "complaints", but I switched them to "gripes" because it sounds better to me.

BUT your overall point is well taken. I think I'd prefer people to only be able to tage their own lists. It's pretty cool either way, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I DO see how "biased" would piss you off. That's pretty lame. As if 99% of the lists aren't biased!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should make the owner of the list's tags visible and hide personal tags?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh and whats the point in having tags about an author? I like Chris Farrell too, but why have a tag for him when one already exists under the user profile:
e.g.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=viewlists&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ray, It's impossible to enforce any kind of system on tagging. Once we get enough tags, the 1-off tags kinda disappear. I will dig up an article I read on this later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
shumyum -- it's just a for-instance... the "gripe" tag came across a little harsh for me, since i try to preface my lists with the why & how of the list's approach. but since these tags are viewable by all, and we can't control what people will infer from some of the mroe subjective tags, it's possible for some tags to be rather inflammatory.

i think part of the problem is the subjectivity, lack of a pre-determined tag set and ability to arbitrarily tag lists to your heart's content -- two people meaning the same thing could easily tag the same geeklist in dramatically different ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have been the person to start the "gripe" issue. But it wasn't intended to put down the list. In fact, it's one of the few categories I've used (it denotes all those lists that mention flaws in games, systems, mechanics, artwork, whatever). To me, those are gripes and that's a valid term to describe the purpose of the list.

Similarly, I tagged a ton of lists as "Plea" because the list was some sort of plea for assistance (sometimes it's a "suggest a game to me" list, sometimes it's a "which is better" list, whatever). To me, they're all in the same meta-group of "plea" lists. I don't want to granularize into "suggestions", "requests", "rules questions", etc. If I see that I tagged it as "Plea", I know the general idea of the list's topic.

However, since I don't yet see a way to see just my tags, I'm not sure it does much good. If there were two tabs above the geeklists--one for "My tags" and one for "BGG tags"--then, I would only see a handful of tags (mine) and I could pretty much ignore anything under "Plea".

I could see abuses of tags (like "turd" or "realcrap"), but gripe or plea or outsideinterest are just topics as far as I'm concerned. No offense intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see your tags by clicking on [Tags] on the top menu bar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Ray, It's impossible to enforce any kind of system on tagging.

Oops sorry Alide. Too much coffee this AM. I deal with bad tag schemas for a living (clickstream analyst) so I was letting my job issues get in the way. I'll go back to my goo now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You can see your tags by clicking on [Tags] on the top menu bar.

Cool. That does help quite a bit. Maybe now I'll go back to tagging some more lists. But maybe that won't do a lot of good either.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this thing. I was picturing something where I'd see the list of all geek lists and next to each list title, I'd see see the most popular tags (and mine). That way, if I see "dontbother" or "huh" or "silly" I'll know not to click on that list. But if I just see all the tags, I could still accidentally revisit a list I have seen and didn't like (because, maybe, it's grouped under "awful" and "ratings" and I like ratings lists, but don't care for awful ones--just an example, I don't expect people to use "awful" as a tag).

I'm just not seeing the power of the feature without the tags shown beside the titles before you go into the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.