Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Storage of games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Ross
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Hello good people
I'm just inquiring about any ingenious storage solutions for games that any of you might have?
I'm finding it a bit strange trying to arrange my games without crushing some of them, or what to do with the ones in odd shaped boxes.
Out of desperation I ended up putting Heroscape into a see-thru plastic storage container (which actually works quite nicely).
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

peace
ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Petty
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
bookcases or shelves
games need to be put on end, not stacked on each other (causes crushing and cover dishing), line them up like books on a bookshelf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard that time and time again; however, bookshelving only works if you either have a smaller collection of games, or alot of shelves/room for shelves. I have almost 100 games (which by no means is a huge collection), and bookshelving is totally impractical. Therefore I have taken to making sure each stack of games is as equally sized as possible, or that heavier boxes are on the bottoms of stacks. I have very few problems with game boxes becoming damaged. I will say this; if I had a choice I would certainly store the games another way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently reorganized my collection to about 75% vertical (book-like) storage, 10% horizontal storage and 15% storage in uniform Plastic boxes. They are all on a large shelving unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of my smaller games are packed into one of two portable soft 12-can carriers. Any adventure games are put into a pretty nice organizable top-notch carry bag. Any empty boxes are nested and stored inside big, sealed plastic boxes and put in a closet.

The remaining games for which this method obviously can't work are either shelved or stacked.

This division works for me, because when people come to my place, they never pick out the small games. Usually they want to play a game with a fair amount of "presence", which usually means a Big Box. When I go out to game, big boxes are less practical to carry around, but 12-can totes are.

Oh... and then there's the 19-inch duffel devoted to Heroscape components. Equally usable at home or abroad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone with a reasonable amount of space (medium or larger apartment / house) should easily be able to fit 100+ games on bookshelves. We have over 100 games. Most are on two 3 foot wide by 6 foot tall bookshelves. We also have a small desk with drawers full of dice and card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pennisi
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't store games "on end" either because I like taking advantage of the plastic inserts most games have to keep pieces organizes. You have to lay them flat for that. I use black, PVC-coated wire shelves that are expandable (but thankfully not collectible) to hold games. They look nice enough that I can keep them on display in my dining room. I do try to stack like-sized boxes on top of each other to minimize box damage. I have two rectangular units and one corner unit and these hold just about everything that I would want to play (I keep old wargames and MTG in the basement).

I know other people who have purchased armoirs, put-together storage closets, and even china cabinets for their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Storage Ideas
I started to store games in 36"x18" plastic storage bins in the basement. I could get 10+ in each one and no more than 6 on top of each other so they don't get crushed. Then I found stacking shelves that the bins would fit in and it works holding 5 of these bins high. This works well for the bigger games. The bookshelf games like Avalon Hill, 3m and Games Workshop are on a bookshelf. And I find that card games stack well in those plastic shelf units. The Container Store in our area has all of these things.

The hardest part is knowing which game is where so I've got the bins numbered and listed by location.

Wow. Not only am I retentive, but I need to get out more...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
games need to be put on end, not stacked on each other (causes crushing and cover dishing), line them up like books on a bookshelf

This is a big part of the reason I have an unreasonable fondness for the bookcase games (i.e. AH, 3M, RGG). However, some games just cannot be set vertically due to the contents or the shallow box opening up.

Fortunately, many of the "flat box" games in my collection are the same size and stack well (AH's flat boxes are the same size as Yaquinto's, for example). When it becomes necessary to stack unmatching sized boxes, I use pressboard (cut to the size of the larger box) between the boxes. This distributes the weight to the vertical sides of the box so that the centers do not crush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
I store my games in stacks on bookshelved, but I keep the stacks small--usually 4 games, not more than 6, and I try to keep the heavier ones at the bottom I used to store them on their sides, but I had problems with some boards warping, and decided that a flat board was more important than a flat box. Theyve been like this for a couple of years now, and the boxes look pretty good--I don't see much evidence of damage. It helps, I think, that I only (for the most part) stack identically sized boxes together, and I line them up perfectly. This way, the weight falls all on the edges, where the boxes are strongest--stacking boxes of different sizes together will get you into big trouble vey quickly, I think.
If you must store them on their sides, be sure that the boards are held in tight and are perfectly upright--if there is some play in the box, and they are leaning at a diagonal, that is a perfect recipe for warping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've since switched to stacking the boxes. I'd rather risk a crushed box (although I never stack that much on them) than have the cardboard warp.

Now all my games lay flat in at most 5-game height stacks.

I admit, it looks much nicer now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have developed a real appreciation for the boxes used by many of the better game publishers these days. They are so much heavier and sturdier than the old Parker Brothers and Milton Bradley boxes. Makes it a lot easier and safer to stack them flat, if necessary.

goldencamel
coffee
tobacco
indigo
sugar
corn
colonist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You wanna see a sturdy box? Look at BuyWord. That box is nigh-indestructible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.